Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another N-1 tale

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Another N-1 tale

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 12:35 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another N-1 tale

Today I donated my 2001 Trek 820 to a group that fixes up bikes to give away to a city Youth program.

While this is technically N-1, as I have 1 fewer bike now than before, I had replaced the use for the 820 last fall. I use the 820 at work, for lunch-time rides and going to campus meetings. Last fall I purchased a folding bike, to keep in my office, to use for these purposes.

Soon to be another N-1, as I need to get rid of my early 80s Panasonic DX, a lugged steel road bike that had been converted into a flat bar bike. Downtube fiction shifters, 52/42 double crank, 10-speed. Its in my garage. I've only ridden it 4 times. Paid $30 for it.

After I get rid of the Panasonic, I will still have 6 bikes.

RANS Stratus recumbent
SUN EZ-RIDER AX recumbent
Fuji Absolute 1.0 flat bar road bike
Trek 7600 hybrid (may give to my daughter)
Bridgestone CB-1
SUN Folder

That's still too many bikes.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 06-04-09 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-04-09, 12:56 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
You can never have too many bikes. I must admit that I am down to just 2 and a frame. It gives me the shakes whenever I look at the empty workshop though. I may get back the Centurion that I purchased at a sale a couple of years ago and gave to my oldest son. That would get the "gearhead 69 camaro" treatment. Vintage steel with all modern components.
Old 06-04-09, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Some kid is going to benefit because of your kindheartedness. That's much better than N+1.
Old 06-04-09, 02:16 PM

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Today I donated my 2001 Trek 820 to a group that fixes up bikes to give away to a city Youth program.

While this is technically N-1, as I have 1 fewer bike now than before, I had replaced the use for the 820 last fall. I use the 820 at work, for lunch-time rides and going to campus meetings. Last fall I purchased a folding bike, to keep in my office, to use for these proposes.

Soon to be another N-1, as I need to get rid of my early 80s Panasonic DX, a lugged steel road bike that had been converted into a flat bar bike. Downtube fiction shifters, 52/42 double crank, 10-speed. Its in my garage. I've only ridden it 4 times. Paid $30 for it.

After I get rid of the Panasonic, I will still have 6 bikes.

RANS Stratus recumbent
SUN EZ-RIDER AX recumbent
Fuji Absolute 1.0 flat bar road bike
Trek 7600 hybrid (may give to my daughter)
Bridgestone CB-1
SUN Folder

That's still too many bikes.

I have had a CB-Zip since the early 90's. I still use the bike daily. I keep thinking about retiring it, but it gives me no trouble at all if I just oil the chain periodically. Sure would like to find another.
Old 06-04-09, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some one is going to get a great bike. I still commute on my '88 Trek 820, in fact it's out at the bike rack right now. Even though it's a DF, I really like that bike a lot and would miss it dearly if it disappeared..
Old 06-07-09, 01:52 PM

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tom: If you think you have too many of anything toddle on over to Paddling.Net and under the general topics ask 'how many canoes do you have'
Then sit back and wonder where the hell these folks store em (and get the coin to pay for em!)
Old 06-07-09, 07:56 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find the same is true for almost any serious hobby. Some of us buy only exactly what we need, but many will want one of this and one of that and then one that they saw someone else have.

If I were rich, I'd have at least 8-10 cars.

And when I die, my wife is eventually going to find out how much audio equipment I have stashed throughout our house and my office.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-07-09, 08:07 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ranger63
Tom: If you think you have too many of anything toddle on over to Paddling.Net and under the general topics ask 'how many canoes do you have'
Then sit back and wonder where the hell these folks store em (and get the coin to pay for em!)
No kidding!

When my son left for college, he wanted to sell his little kayak so I listed it on Craigslist. The guy who bought it had 20 or 30 small kayaks, canoes and sailboats. He runs a business teaching sailboat lessons but is always looking for more "small boats" to fill out his flotilla...he says he likes having random small boats around in case students show up for a sailing lesson and the weather isn't right.

He saw the 4 bikes in my garage and thought *I* was crazy...
Old 06-08-09, 09:03 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I think I do have too many bikes (5), because storage space is at a premium in my small garage. The second ca. 1960 Capo is strictly for fun and historical interest, since Capo #1 has been updated with 1970s components. The Peugeot has been sitting in the warehouse at work for several months, while I have been working part-time and commuting on the mountain bike or on foot and public transit.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069