Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    Cervelo R3, P2C
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pace on long rides?

What would be considered a decent pace on longer rides, say 50 miles plus? Did a ride yesterday averaging about 20/mph.

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I cannot believe how slow I am! I'm keeping my eye on this thread. I have a century scheduled for 6/28. I'm sure that I can finish, but not before they roll up the sidewalks .

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends how many hills on the ride- how many times you have to slow down or accelerate for corners- how many times you stop for PIE.

In my area with hilly bits- I average 15mph for around 50 to 60 miles. But an organised Metric on an average route and my time is around 4 hours so about 16mph. a full 100miles and I am yet to break 7 hours which is 14mph.

Solo riding and organised events do lead to different ride speeds for me. The organised rides are always just a bit faster.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, 20 mph is a decent pace, no doubt. Not sure what you consider a long ride, but a 20 mph average pace/speed will get you a 5 hour century (100 miles).

Is that the kind of answer you wanted?

Rick / OCRR

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with stapfam. I don't even know how people average 20 MPH for 50 miles. That would require 2 and a half hours for 50 miles. It also would mean there would be times I would have to be hitting 35 to make up for the 12-14 MPH climbs let alone the four mile 8-10 MPH climb we did this morning. My average for just over 4000 miles since I started riding the road bike is 15.1. I didn't break 14 MPH on my century either. I hope to do better on my next one.

Still I have been on group rides where we did 24 to 25 MPH with spikes to 26 for ten to fifteen miles and finished the 40 mile ride with 18 MPH cool down and the average was only 17.1 due to lights and stop signs.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I felt like I did well yesterday to average 18.2 for 30 miles.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cervelo-van View Post
    What would be considered a decent pace on longer rides, say 50 miles plus? Did a ride yesterday averaging about 20/mph.
    That's not really my motivation. In fact, I only have bike computers on 2 of the 6 bikes that I ride. While I'll admit to having a general idea, I'm not particularly interested in keeping track of how many miles I ride either.

That said I ride my tandem or my poseur points bike the average speed tends to consistantly run around 13 or 14 MPH by the end of a ride. I don't turn off the computer during food or fooling around stops and I don't know how it calculates that time.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    48 miles this past Saturday at almost 16mph.
    Fast for me, but I have decided to withdraw from the TDF.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Cervelo R3, P2C
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, thanks. Here is the link to the course for the 203K. It looks like about 6:42 hours (ride time) for the 160k/100 miles. This means that the last 43K/26.71 miles was in around 70 minutes.
    http://connect.garmin.com/player/3900566

I did this 10 months after I started riding. Like you, my Metric century earlier that month was 4:08 total time, 3:44 ride time.

When I first started riding in July 2008, I was pitiful ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Depends how many hills on the ride- how many times you have to slow down or accelerate for corners- how many times you stop for PIE.

In my area with hilly bits- I average 15mph for around 50 to 60 miles. But an organised Metric on an average route and my time is around 4 hours so about 16mph. a full 100miles and I am yet to break 7 hours which is 14mph.

Solo riding and organised events do lead to different ride speeds for me. The organised rides are always just a bit faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Yes, 20 mph is a decent pace, no doubt. Not sure what you consider a long ride, but a 20 mph average pace/speed will get you a 5 hour century (100 miles).

Is that the kind of answer you wanted?

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Cervelo R3, P2C
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First Boonen is out, now you! That event is going to hell in a handbasket

Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    48 miles this past Saturday at almost 16mph.
    Fast for me, but I have decided to withdraw from the TDF.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be considered a decent pace.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 MPH average speed on a solo ride, reported by a calibrated cyclometer, over 50 miles is VERY fast. The fastest riders in our club reach 22-23 MPH average over 50 miles, but that's in a pace line and they ain't postin' on no 50+ Forum (meaning these are all young guns).
    You should consider entering a race.
    As for me, 17.8 MPH over 38 miles, 35 in the pace line, one stop.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    My War
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    My last solo century was actually about 105 miles and I spent 6.5 hours on the road.

It felt like a good pace to me, so 16.15 mph, in my case. I'm not over 50 yet, but I still enjoy cigarettes from time to time, so I feel like I'm 50+ on the bike.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    I am with stapfam. I don't even know how people average 20 MPH for 50 miles. That would require 2 and a half hours for 50 miles. It also would mean there would be times I would have to be hitting 35 to make up for the 12-14 MPH climbs let alone the four mile 8-10 MPH climb we did this morning.
    I made the mistake of hitching up with the "A" group at the start of our club ride two weekends ago instead of the "B" group that I usually ride with. I knew I was in trouble when we hit the second hill, my legs hurt like he!! and it was only 5 or 6 miles into the ride. I thought it was me, then I looked at the cyclometer. We were going UPhill at over 21 MPH. That's how they make up for Stop signs. I hung with them for about 16 miles, then (thankfully) I flatted and had an excuse to drop out. A flat tire never felt so good.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    I made the mistake of hitching up with the "A" group at the start of our club ride two weekends ago instead of the "B" group that I usually ride with. I knew I was in trouble when we hit the second hill, my legs hurt like he!! and it was only 5 or 6 miles into the ride. I thought it was me, then I looked at the cyclometer. We were going UPhill at over 21 MPH. That's how they make up for Stop signs. I hung with them for about 16 miles, then (thankfully) I flatted and had an excuse to drop out. A flat tire never felt so good.
    Yes I have been there. Right now I am the B group leader and every now and then we donít have a B group. The A group will pull a pretty good hill at over 20 MPG and my HRM will be bumping off of 180 by the time we get to the top. The downhill will allow me to drop to 135 or so before the next flat and I am back at 140+ to hold 23 to 25 and if it gets back to 160 on the flat I get dropped. If I pull for more than 45 seconds at 25 I hit 160. After a run like that my computer still only reads 17.5 average when I get home. But I donít re-set it at the end of a long pace line I check Average speed from my door to my door. Today was much better because no A group riders came out in the overcast weather. But it was the perfect day for one of our longer local climb rides because it was pretty cool. While more than half of the ride was crank and grind for me I was able to beat my best time for that climb and get to the top in the middle of the pack.

have I ever mentioned I hate hills?

My Bikes
    Cervelo R3, P2C
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the riders in the group were younger. Its actually less than 50 Miles. Here is what the ride looks like. The first stretch of about 3k/just under 2 miles is my easy ride to the store to meet the group. The last stretch of about 10K/6 miles is the last part through city streets home.

I was working hard quite often as I am still learning how to ride in a paceline, so I tend to lead the line a lot or play catch up. That stretch that you see near Vancouver airport was fast.

Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    20 MPH average speed on a solo ride, reported by a calibrated cyclometer, over 50 miles is VERY fast. The fastest riders in our club reach 22-23 MPH average over 50 miles, but that's in a pace line and they ain't postin' on no 50+ Forum (meaning these are all young guns).
    You should consider entering a race.
    As for me, 17.8 MPH over 38 miles, 35 in the pace line, one stop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cervelo-van; 06-08-09 at 06:16 PM.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 mph is a great pace under any condition.

Below is our group training ride from last Sunday. I was setting tempo for about 20% of the ride. 17.1 mph, 55 miles with 3600 feet of climbing with some wind off the pacific ocean.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. If you ain't GPS'n then you're just guess'n.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday it was about 25 miles and 4400 feet of climbing - 4 shots up an 1100 foot hill (6% to 10% grades). About 6mph average up and 35mph average down.
    The definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First Boonen is out, now you! That event is going to hell in a handbasket
    Don't think they'd let me ride the 'bent, anyway.
    If Boonen is out, and McEwen, I mighta had a chance for some sprint points.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just looked at the stats from yesterday's ride. We had a group of about 15-20 and we averaged about 23 mph for the first 50 miles-and noone was really pushing the pace-just keeping it going at a good brisk pace. It probably includes some brief pauses or stops at large intersections.

I only stayed with them for 25 more miles and my average the last 50 was around 20 mph.

If I were to do 50 mph solo I'd have to work really hard to average 20 mph-the key variables are wind and climbing. I would actually do it a little faster on rolling terrain with little wind as the downhills provide a little relief from the constant pedaling you have on pure flats. That would probably be different in a group.

I usually feel like I have gotten a really good workout averaging 18-19 mph on my solo rides of 60-65 miles.

I know there are a number of "better riders" out there that average 25+ mph on their group rides. I usually have to use a scooter to keep them in sight......

My Bikes
    Cervelo R3, P2C
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats pretty darn good. I assume you are in the 50+ age group? How long have you been riding?

Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    Just looked at the stats from yesterday's ride. We had a group of about 15-20 and we averaged about 23 mph for the first 50 miles-and noone was really pushing the pace-just keeping it going at a good brisk pace. It probably includes some brief pauses or stops at large intersections.

I only stayed with them for 25 more miles and my average the last 50 was around 20 mph.

If I were to do 50 mph solo I'd have to work really hard to average 20 mph-the key variables are wind and climbing. I would actually do it a little faster on rolling terrain with little wind as the downhills provide a little relief from the constant pedaling you have on pure flats. That would probably be different in a group.

I usually feel like I have gotten a really good workout averaging 18-19 mph on my solo rides of 60-65 miles.

I know there are a number of "better riders" out there that average 25+ mph on their group rides. I usually have to use a scooter to keep them in sight......

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My story is that I mainly ride hills, so average speed doesn't matter

Saturday I did 101 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway, with 9700 ft of climbing. My average came out to 12.5 mph.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends entirely on your goals. This last weekend the Pro Cycling Tour Philadelphia International Race was held. It was one of the slowest average speeds ever (just a bit over 20MPH). Speculation is that since the race had no live TV coverage there was less incentive to get out front to get your team sponsor's name in the spotlight.

So, a decent pace depends on your goals.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Sunday workout was three hours of riding in the Z2 HR (127-137 BPM) with a 50 minute Z3 rep (138-144 BPM) in the middle of the ride. I don't usually use my GPS but used it on this workout so I could see how steady I was able to hold the HR. I tend to let up on the effort when going downhill and the HR drops, so I have to focus on keeping the effort constant on the "steady state workout". I was surprised when I downloaded the workout and saw that I rode over 55 miles and averaged 19.69 mph with an HR average of 135. The long hills were only 350' from bottom to top and the total climbing was less than 2,000 ft. Stoplights and stop signs kill the average speed as well as disrupt the constant effort, the GPS file demonstrates that quite well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 06-09-09 at 06:49 AM.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast