Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-09-09, 07:40 AM   #1
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Update on my Cycling Buddy's Injuries

My Buddy was hit by a car the day after Thanksgiving. He sustained broken hip, leg, knee issues and broken hand and finger. He spent 5-6 weeks in the hospital and rehab facility before getting to go back home.

His finger grew back crooked and he still cannot walk without assistance. There are nerve issues in his leg and he cannot move his foot. His knee doesn't have much flexibility. The surgeon put a cable in his knee to provide some stability back in December ........ it broke during a PT session last month-a broken end of the cable occassionally sticks up through his skin causing extreme pain..........Ouch!!

I took him back to the hospital yesterday for more surgeries on his knee and finger. With all he has endured he still dreams of getting back on the bike. He asked me to write the surgeon a note on his leg/knee.

At least his sense of humor has remained steadfast.........along with his passion for riding!!

I'm just hoping he can get back to walking again.........

jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 07:52 AM   #2
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish him well.
He has a good friend in you too.
kr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 09:17 AM   #3
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Your pal is one tough hombre, and I wish him well. Please keep us updated, and tell him he has a whole bunch of "friends he never met" rooting for him.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 11:30 AM   #4
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix
That hurts just looking at it. Tell him good luck and I hope he does get back on the bike, soon. Take care
Old 06-09-09, 11:33 AM   #5
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
He needs to find a good sports oriented physical therapist and tell them what he wants to do. Find a mean, nasty physical therapist that will show him no mercy!! I'd say, if he wants it enough and with a good physical therapist (assuming the doc was good and there are no other physical limitations) he should be able to do anything he wants.

I've worked with lots of athletes who blew out there knees and for the most part they were able to do most anything. Johnny O'Mara was the National Supercross champion. He retired in part because his knees were shot. Johnny said pretty much anything that could happen to your knees happened to his. He went out and rode/raced mountain bikes for awhile and now he rides for Team Sho-Air. His knees are so bad he had to give up triathlons, but he's still able to ride, so your buddy has a good chance of being able to ride, if he wants it bad enough.

Never give up.....Just Do It!!
HIPCHIP is offline   Reply With Quote