User Tag List

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hand pain-anybody ever experience this?

Two weeks ago I had shoulder surgery on my Right shoulder. A few days later the doc said I had no restrictions and could do anything that I could stand. I decided to ride my stationary and could do so with no problems, but the right shoulder would get a little irritated, so I'd lean on my Left hand. A day or two later I went for a 23 mile ride where my shoulder became sore at about 18 miles, so I leaned on my left hand/arm for most of the ride.

After I got home my left hand was fine, but several hours later my Left hand started to hurt on the left heal (the Hpyothenar eminence). I assumed it was just a bruise or something from pushing on it (although I wear padded gloves and the bar is padded). I iced my hand, but it's now a week or so later and it still hurts. It almost feels like a fracture with the way it hurts. If it keeps hurting I'll go see the doc and get an X-ray (it normally takes two weeks to for a slight fracture to show up) but I was wondering if anybody else has experienced anything like this?

Thanks all,
    Dan'o :**

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto exacto.

I had two right shoulder surgeries of an ugly nature about 3 years ago. When the shoulder gets stiff or sore its easy to put more pressure on my left hand. It also tends to flare up when riding our tandem a lot.

If you find a cure, other than higher bars, let me know. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post
    Ditto exacto.

I had two right shoulder surgeries of an ugly nature about 3 years ago. When the shoulder gets stiff or sore its easy to put more pressure on my left hand. It also tends to flare up when riding our tandem a lot.

If you find a cure, other than higher bars, let me know. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear.
    Did you ever figure out what it was? How long did it last? I thought it was just basically a bruise, but now I'm wondering if it might be a mild stress fracture.

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my guess is an inflammation issue near/at the nerves. had similar issue recently after banging my left elbow in a very slow fall. nothing else damaged except my pride but a bumped elbow is a bumped elbow so I thought. a few days following noticed my hand was getting more numb after each ride (I commute) and my left hand was losing grip strength (I was seriously alarmed not being able to turn a key in the door lock). thought of all the things I should do about it. did those and did not appear to be any better. finally after several weeks my left hand appears to be getting back to normal. I suspect I did more damage to the deep tissues of my elbow than I realized. you may be leaning on that left hand/arm more than you realize here?

My Bikes
    Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikegeek57 View Post
    my guess is an inflammation issue near/at the nerves. had similar issue recently after banging my left elbow in a very slow fall. nothing else damaged except my pride but a bumped elbow is a bumped elbow so I thought. a few days following noticed my hand was getting more numb after each ride (I commute) and my left hand was losing grip strength (I was seriously alarmed not being able to turn a key in the door lock). thought of all the things I should do about it. did those and did not appear to be any better. finally after several weeks my left hand appears to be getting back to normal. I suspect I did more damage to the deep tissues of my elbow than I realized. you may be leaning on that left hand/arm more than you realize here?
    I was thinking it might be something similar to that. I keep palpating the area and can't really find anything specific, and it's kind of away from the nerve canals as far as I can figure (and remember my anatomy), but it does seem to be getting better. Just getting old, I guess, and falling apart