User Tag List

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two flats on one ride - pssft

Two flats on one ride - pssft

First goathead of the season, then the spare tube I used had one of my famous patches on it and it didn't hold. And, I ALWAYS carry two tubes (yes, except for today).

Since I just didn't feel like patching the tube on the ride, I used my wife's RESCUE MOBILE service. I was pretty close in, and it was not an inconvenience to her.

BUT, I COULD have made it back (yes, really), except that I am lousy at patching tubes.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That stinks. It's a pain when you get a flat, but then to get two on one ride. YIKES Glad you had a rescue service, at least.
    Michael
    5X5 Workout

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it "Sodds" or "Murphy's" law that made you not be carrying a 2nd tube?

That wife mobile comes in very handy and I have only had to use it twice. Once for a broken chain and no Chain breaker- I did carry one after that- and the other was on the Tandem when I shredded a tyre. The annoying part of that one is that I always used to carry a spare folding tyre but as I had never used it- I took it out of the top bag the week before.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you were carrying a faulty tube, if you had one flat, you were doomed to have two.

Note that if you had not taken a spare tube, that you would have only had one flat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Since you were carrying a faulty tube, if you had one flat, you were doomed to have two.

Note that if you had not taken a spare tube, that you would have only had one flat.
    Your logic underwhelms me!!

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, how reliable are your patches?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In general, how reliable are your patches?
    I haven't run any reliability stats.

But, I wouldn't buy a patched tube from me!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post

However, apparently, you would pack one as your emergency tube!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always saved flats and then patch a bunch at once and finish by inflating inflating the next day and being sure they stay that way.

Of course Murphy is a *******. He did not get me, but on the first double century I did before the 25 mile mark I ended up giving away one of my 2 spare tubes to another rider who had started with 2 and already had his 3rd flat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After going for about a year without a flat, I picked up a drywall screw in the back tire. Whipped my spare never-used tube out of the seat bag, put it all back together and the tire would not inflate. It turned out the spare tube had been bouncing around in the seat bag long enough to wear a hole at one of the fold points. A temporary glueless patch worked well enough to get me home. I now leave the spare tube in the cardboard box it came in, and that's inside an old athletic sock. Sometimes I look skyward and say "I'm being tested, right?".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Argh -- Goatheads, the bane of cycling in Colorado.

A few weeks ago, I went for a run with my wife (it's fair, I drag her along on bike rides) and we decided to run along a dirt trail instead of on the road. After maybe a quarter mile I had to stop since my shoes didn't feel right. I must had about 50 goatheads in my running shoes! Fortunately, the Nike Air thing didn't puncture I made a mental note to myself never to bike that way ...

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had that happen a few weeks ago myself. Tire blew out and I had to use paper cup to keep tube in, gash on the sidewall. Pulled out the spare tube and rode a few miles and noticed that tire was getting low on air and then went flat. I called neighbor to come get me, first time that has happened .
    When I went home I could not find hole in the spare tube until I dunked it in water and saw air coming from a patch that was on the seam!. Now I know to rerally level off that seam when patching.

Also as you I normally carry two tubes but only had the one on this day. I did have more patches but just wanted to get home without anymore "fixing" . I was close as well.

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about to jynx myself bigtime here, but it's been over 2 years, and well over 15000 miles since I've gotten a flat out on the road. I've had a few stem-tear mishaps while inflating a tire at home, and a couple of times a tire has gone flat overnight, but I haven't changed a flat "in anger" in a long time...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    However, apparently, you would pack one as your emergency tube!!!
    Not any more!

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad break Denvr. Knock on wood - I haven't gotten a flat in months. For a period last year I was getting flats every week. What a PITA. DW (dear wife) and I ride together so I don't have access to a pull out service. I always carry a Topeak trunk bag with tubes, tools, mini pump, patch kit, lock, towels... Maybe that extra ten pounds is why I am so slow compaired to the rest of you
    Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    I haven't run any reliability stats.

Don't beat yourself up too badly Dnvr., you've got that thin Colorado air to deal with. Our thicker North East air might not leak out quite as readily.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Don't beat yourself up too badly Dnvr., you've got that thin Colorado air to deal with. Our thicker North East air might not leak out quite as readily.
    As I have mentioned previously - don't let me anywhere near a bike with a tool of any kind in my hand. Disaster will always result.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had three flats in one day becuase of those things !!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE:

I had assumed that my patch on the old tube had not held - yet I had not checked the tire/tube out yet. This morning I finally had time to take the tube out - and, lo and behold, it was NOT my patch that was defective. The patch was just fine.

Instead, there was a very nasty steel tack of some sort, which had caused a rapid loss of air.

Hey, that instills a little bit of confidence in me about my tire patching ability!!

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sound like a mate of mine.

Out on the mountain bikes on a road ride. Mate got a flat tyre. Tube changing is a group thing with us- One takes off the wedge and inflates the tube a bit- one take tyre off the rim. Then the tyre is checked for the thorn? that caused the puncture. And the tube fitted and another pumps the tyre up.

That tube lasted 50 yards before going flat. Same ritual again and another tube went in and someone else patched the original and the fresh punctured tube. Good job they did as the tyre would not hold air this time. Must be the patch not right so on with the other repaired tube. 100 yards this time and flat again. So 4 punctures and 150 yards. Off with the tyre and an old trick- Turn the tyre inside out. Any other thorns that are just poking through can now be seen or felt.

7 thorns were in that tyre and reversing the tyre meant that the head could now be found.

Thinking going on now as we knew we had run over some Blackthorn hedge cuttings earlier on and we must all have run through them. Luckily- this was the only bike to have a problem on the ride- but we all checked our tyres after the ride.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Tube changing is a group thing with us.
    Must of been like a pit crew at work

"Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also had a two flat ride Tuesday on BRAG. I noticed the first flat on my rear tire as I was about to leave the rest stop at mile 40 of a 67 mile ride. I noticed a slight cut in the tire, about 1/2 inch long. There was no sign of any debris left on the tire, so I chose to replace the tube and carry on. Bad decision as about two miles later at the top of a tough climb, I heard a pop and a hiss and then people heard me cussing. The new tube had failed at the same spot. It was hot and there was no shade in sight, so I slipped the covers on my cleats and pushed the bike 1/2 mile before finding a shady spot to repair the tire. I had no patch kit, so I was set to wait for the repair vehicle (this was a big organized ride) to come along. But a good Samaritan came along and gave me a tube and use of his patch kit to put a patch over the inside of the cut in the tire. This fix held and I made it into camp with no more troubles.

The worst thing was that the flats delayed my ride into the hot part of the afternoon and left me far behind my buddies who were riding with me at a fairly good pace up until then. The frustration of having problems took me out of my groove and I was unable to continue at the energy level I had been going for the first 40 miles. Shame, too, because I had a good ride going up until then.

One bit of advice. Patch failures are most often due to not allowing the glue to dry before applying the patch. It is tempting to hurry and slap it on, but it is well worth waiting as the patch is much more likely to hold if you let the glue dry completely.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Must of been like a pit crew at work

Seems just like that at times but we never rush it. All the riders carry a tube- patch kit and levers in a wedge under the saddle- but one thing always remains constant. It is always my pump that is used to inflate tyres.

Mainly because I am the only one to have bought a sensible pump for the bike involved (Blackburn Mammouth for the MTB's and a Topeak Morph for the road bikes) And on top of that- My pumps always work. They get a regular service every 3 months and have yet to fail on me.
    Last edited by stapfam; 06-14-09 at 03:09 PM.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always saved flats and then patch a bunch at once and finish by inflating inflating the next day and being sure they stay that way.
    I've done this too, but sometimes I wonder whether it isn't best to fix a flat and then immediately put it in the tire and pump it up. IOW, when you do that, you're immediately putting about 100 pounds of pressure on the patch and holding it in place while the "glue" cures.

What do you think.

------------

Here's a story of my first encounter with goatheads, in which the wife and I got eight flats in one ride:

http://carbiketrip.blogspot.com/2009...o-loma-co.html

My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, another one!!

I'm beginning to have doubts about these Conti 4000 tires (not the 4000s).

I bought them for higher speed, replacing Armadillos. But all the speed in the world doesn't help if you are spending many minutes each ride fixing a flat!

And, I turned the tire inside out, examined both sides minutely, and couldn't really find anything, except perhaps a bit of glass embedded in the tire. But, I saw no penetration hole on the inside of the tire.

Couldn't find the leak in the tube, either, until I got home and got it under the water. Yes, it was a hole, and spurting out pretty fast.

Tis a mystery, unless somehow I injured the tube upon mounting, which I hardly ever do.

Don't you love sitting by the side of the road as cars are going by, messing with tire irons, tubes, pumps and all that?

And, to top it off, the longer one sits there, the more one has to pee!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-16-09 at 03:55 PM.