Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The shorts made a difference

I was getting a lot of soreness at about the 15-20 mile mark on my new Roubaix. Someone suggested I try different shorts and it worked. My old biking shorts worked fine (chamois) but the new ones (gel) did not, they also felt big and felt like I was carrying some extra "stuff" between my legs. I had bought them due to the price...........recently bought a new chamois pair that I paid about twice as much for and they worked fine (also a smaller size). Didn't think they would make that much difference but they do. Not sure if it was the size thing, the gel thing, or just better quality but I shall spend the extra money for the Specialized chamois shorts in the future!
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the shorts.
    Now you gotta move up to these.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've posted my rule-of-thumb before. Spend $1 for every mile you want to ride. A century means $100 shorts. Since I moved up to better shorts I have had no chafing and much less pain, even on a recent 7 day ride.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    I've posted my rule-of-thumb before. Spend $1 for every mile you want to ride. A century means $100 shorts. Since I moved up to better shorts I have had no chafing and much less pain, even on a recent 7 day ride.
    I have a variety of shorts and thier comfort seems to have little correlation with price. By far the most uncomfortable ones on long rides is the pair with the gel pad. What I have found is the short and the seat area a system, they work together. I have a Terry liberator on my distance bike and that saddle likes a thin pad. I have an E3 on the Tarmac and that one likes a little more pad. My most comfortable combo overall are my mid priced EMS shorts with my Terry saddle.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear the cheapest lycra running shorts I can find, along with Coolmax underwear. But then, I don't have those obnoxious pressure points you guys are always worrying about.

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of Novara Strada (REI brand) shorts that have some gel in the chamois. I find the be quite comfortable. Longest ride on them has been 50 miles.

What seems to work best for me are more slippery fabrics - both inside and out. I have a pair with a slight texture to the chamois with is not comfortable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new shorts are Specialized chamois. The lbs owner said that all chamois in bike shorts is now synthetic. I paid $60 for them, to me that is expensive for a pair of biking shorts, to others it may not seem so. But they weem to work fine so another pair will be purchased very soon.

What if anything is the advantage of the bib shorts??

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    What if anything is the advantage of the bib shorts??
    The make you wait longer before you go to the can
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    The make you wait longer before you go to the can
    Yeah. I'd have to find some that had really short legs.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had good luck with Pearl Izumi Ultra Sensor shorts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think any cycling short is bound to be better than not. But I'm among those who shun padding, both in shorts and on the saddle. No matter where the padding is, it ends up doing the same thing. Something is going to compress down into it, and as a result, something is going to more pressure from the rest of it than it should.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nothing obnoxious about my "pressure points", in fact they are quite kind and generous ...
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll notice that gel shorts are always on sale. Otherwise they could never trick anyone into buying them.

I'm glad that Mojo's $1 per mile rule does not prove true in my case. If it did, I would never have ridden comfortably for more than 60 miles and rarely over 50. I agree that you need better shorts for longer rides, but I have had several pairs of shorts I bought for $40 to $50 that worked very well for me on rides up to 100 miles.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode 40+ miles Saturday with them and they were great. Did start to experience a little pressure on the inner thighs at the end though.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, now check your saddle. I started this season with what I thought would be an awesome saddle and I actually bought 2 of them - kind of a WTB gel saddle - Schwinn Comfort I think it was, here's a not so great picture. Anyway I was doing fine except after long rides I was feeling the rubbing inside my thigh and even a little hip discomfort. Then I bought a "racing" saddle? or maybe just a "road" saddle a Specialized Avatar Gel size 143 I think. A good LBS measured my sit bones. There is no more thigh rubbing or hip discomfort, even on a 100 mile ride!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-15-09 at 07:20 AM.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    OK, now check your saddle. I started this season with what I thought would be an awesome saddle and I actually bought 2 of them - kind of a WTB gel saddle - Schwinn Comfort I think it was, here's a not so great picture. Anyway I was doing fine except after long rides I was feeling the rubbing inside my thigh and even a little hip discomfort. Then I bought a "racing" saddle? or maybe just a "road" saddle a Specialized Avatar Gel size 143 I think. A good LBS measured my sit bones. There is no more thigh rubbing or hip discomfort, even on a 100 mile ride!
    Pretty sure that is the saddle I have on the Roubaix, but I was riding the Peugeot on Saturday........will have to do 40 on the Roubaix and see how that feels. The saddle on the Peugeot is not that great anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't talk about any specific saddle unless you take your riding position into consideration. A racing saddle is designed for and requires a racing position. If you are riding more in a touring type of posture, then you need something a bit wider. Measuring sit bones may sound scientific and modern, but it's relatively meaningless, since that width ultimately depends on how you are sitting on the bike.

Elmira>Taiwan>Elmira flatlander_48's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Slim View Post
    From my experience, I would say that your rule is a bare minimum. I believe it is possible that a relatively inexpensive pair of shorts can work fairly well for SOME people. The problem is that we can't try out ALL of the inexpensive shorts on the market; not enough time, not enough money. What I think happens is that you can improve your odds of a good fit (for you) by spending more. Paying more usually translates into better materials, better workmanship AND more product testing. If you sell shorts for say, $60, something has to get reduced or left out altogether. The question is what was it?
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo double compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first pair Pearl Izumi Quest were only 50$...then I thought I'd try a thinner chamois on some Canondale shorts. I think it tends to "ball up" but they are ok for 25 / 30 milers. I wear the PI's for my longer rides but sure do plan to purchase a nicer pair when I get to the century mark.

I did discover this though. I thought I was getting sit bone pain at around the 40 to 50 mile mark but when I got home and took a look, it was chafing. Could have been the shorts, but since then I've started using Chamois butt'r on longer rides and it definately helps. Just something to think about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh come on. Sure, get better quality shorts if you can. But let's be realistic. People were riding centuries and extended, multi-country tours long before there were any such shorts... so obviously, it's not an absolute requirement. As I said before, I still say that you shouldn't rely on shorts to resolve what is really a positioning problem (and perhaps not the ideal saddle for you).

Elmira>Taiwan>Elmira flatlander_48's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (full Chorus 11), 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike (sold), 2004 Giant TRC 2 road bike (sold)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfemur View Post
    Oh come on. Sure, get better quality shorts if you can. But let's be realistic. People were riding centuries and extended, multi-country tours long before there were any such shorts... so obviously, it's not an absolute requirement. As I said before, I still say that you shouldn't rely on shorts to resolve what is really a positioning problem (and perhaps not the ideal saddle for you).
    Chamois pads have been around for a LONG time; back when they were real leather...
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo double compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how it works exactly but there sure seems to be some kind of correlation between income level and sensitivity to derriere pain.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.