Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-16-09, 01:29 PM   #1
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ignorance + Lazyness = Disaster

Stupid, Stipid, Stupid! That's all I can say about myself.

Last Summer I replaced a 20" front tire on my now commuter and had some issues with the tube. The tire was a spare that came with the bike which I had just purchased used, and I just re-used the old tube that was already on the bike in the old worn tire. I didn't pay much attention to the tire and tube as I tore the front wheel down, it's a pretty boring task as a rule.

Putting the old tube into the replacement tire got a little tricky. The tube seemed to be a touch too big around. I just stuffed it in as best as I could, intending to get fresh tubes in the near future. I had assumed the tube was old and had stretched. Well, I forgot all about it and was gently reminded of my lax maintainance practices at about 10mph with a rapid de-pressurization of the front tire today. When I took the tube out of the tire and saw it folded over on itself I remembered what I had forgotten all about...getting fresh tubes. It had failed at the folded over part.

Now in all fairness, it wasn't the tubes fault and it probably wouldn't have failed if I knew then what I learned over the past winter...all 20" tires are not created equal. I was stuffing a 451 tube into a 406 tire!
As soon as I learned the difference I remembered the front tire and tube stuffing incident of the past Summer and made a mental note to rectify the situation when the weather broke but again, once Spring arrived I had forgotten all about that tube & tire.

I was quite lucky that the tube failed when it did, near home and at low speed. Three days ago I was up around 30mph and 15 miles from home at 06:00 am. I'm glad it didn't fail then as I had no spares or pump with me that time, and at that speed I probably would still be recovering from the fall!

Another lesson learned, the easy way this time. No scars to show off.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 06-16-09 at 01:40 PM.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 01:42 PM   #2
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We do live and learn,, I am glad it was an easy lesson for you on this one. continue to enjoy the ride.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 02:44 PM   #3
Timtruro

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Consider yourself lucky, as you seem to be doing. Easier said than done but pay more attention to detail in the future.

I just inflated tires on a bike that hasn't been used since the eighties, they are dry and cracked, took it for a spin, thinking all the while that I might blow a tire. Went slow and just around the block to check the brakes and gearing but i will not use it again until both tires and tubes have been replaced. Glad you weren't hurt.
Timtruro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 04:10 PM   #4
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Sounds like you had an inconvenience instead of a disaster. Live and learn, indeed.

Most of the Fifty Plus folks looking at your post are thinking: "451, 406......what is he talking about? I thought he said 20 inch. Maybe that's metric air pressure?"