Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ignorance + Lazyness = Disaster

Stupid, Stipid, Stupid! That's all I can say about myself.

Last Summer I replaced a 20" front tire on my now commuter and had some issues with the tube. The tire was a spare that came with the bike which I had just purchased used, and I just re-used the old tube that was already on the bike in the old worn tire. I didn't pay much attention to the tire and tube as I tore the front wheel down, it's a pretty boring task as a rule.

Putting the old tube into the replacement tire got a little tricky. The tube seemed to be a touch too big around. I just stuffed it in as best as I could, intending to get fresh tubes in the near future. I had assumed the tube was old and had stretched. Well, I forgot all about it and was gently reminded of my lax maintainance practices at about 10mph with a rapid de-pressurization of the front tire today. When I took the tube out of the tire and saw it folded over on itself I remembered what I had forgotten all about...getting fresh tubes. It had failed at the folded over part.

Now in all fairness, it wasn't the tubes fault and it probably wouldn't have failed if I knew then what I learned over the past winter...all 20" tires are not created equal. I was stuffing a 451 tube into a 406 tire!
    As soon as I learned the difference I remembered the front tire and tube stuffing incident of the past Summer and made a mental note to rectify the situation when the weather broke but again, once Spring arrived I had forgotten all about that tube & tire.

I was quite lucky that the tube failed when it did, near home and at low speed. Three days ago I was up around 30mph and 15 miles from home at 06:00 am. I'm glad it didn't fail then as I had no spares or pump with me that time, and at that speed I probably would still be recovering from the fall!

Another lesson learned, the easy way this time. No scars to show off.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 06-16-09 at 01:40 PM.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do live and learn,, I am glad it was an easy lesson for you on this one. continue to enjoy the ride.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider yourself lucky, as you seem to be doing. Easier said than done but pay more attention to detail in the future.

I just inflated tires on a bike that hasn't been used since the eighties, they are dry and cracked, took it for a spin, thinking all the while that I might blow a tire. Went slow and just around the block to check the brakes and gearing but i will not use it again until both tires and tubes have been replaced. Glad you weren't hurt.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you had an inconvenience instead of a disaster. Live and learn, indeed.

Most of the Fifty Plus folks looking at your post are thinking: "451, 406......what is he talking about? I thought he said 20 inch. Maybe that's metric air pressure?"
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer