Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An amazing new bike invention - clipless & cleatless pedals

Thought you all should know about these new-fangled pedals I started using on my commuter today....so far, so good.

First, some background. As well all know, all pedals originally had toe clips on them. That's what I started riding on my first "serious" bike, back in my 20's, along with some good 'ol Detto shoes.In the early 90's, I switched to clipless pedals -- first, some SPD's with Shimano shoes, then upgraded to SPD's with Sidis. However, I've always had some "hotfoot" problems, and a year ago I got a pair of Look Keos, and a new set of Sidi road shoes. So now I rotate among 5 pairs of shoes, and two styles of pedals across 4 bikes.

Still suffering from "hot foot" problems on longer rides, I decided I needed to find something to give my feet a break for the 60 to 100 miles a week I do commuting. Then I heard about this new invention - pedals that have no toe clips, and no cleats at all. I don't know what you call them, but some of them look like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wellgo-Alloy-Q...5304189&sr=1-9

Or others like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wellgo-Comfort...304249&sr=1-43

Though I got some of these:

http://www.amazon.com/MKS-Lambda-Pla...5304298&sr=1-1

An amazing thing about this new invention is that you can ride your bike with regular shoes! Imagine that -- you just jump on the bike with tennis shoes, and just pedal away. When you get to your destination, you can walk like a regular person, instead of waddling like a duck! I can't believe it took so long for them to invent a pedal that can be ridden without special cycling shoes.

So far, I have only ridden one day of commuting on these, and it was a revelation. First time I've ridden without special cycling shoes in more than 30 years. These types of pedals are *so new* that even though I must have seen another 100 bikers out today commuting, I was the only one using these pedals. I must be the only person in Seattle to have ever heard of these pedals. If only there was a name for them - I guess I will just call them "clipless/cleatless" pedals since they have no toe clips, no cleats.

Progress is amazing...

Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Amazing...

I run some mks 1000 pedals on my touring bike... shoes, sandals, boots... it does not matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are nice pedals but keep in mind your hammies and glutes are shrinking whilst your quads are getting bigger and tired from doing all the work.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This looks like the beginings of a reasonable platform upon which to build a campaign.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever will they think of next???

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post

I"m thinking Crocks with crankarms.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    in my sig line
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Full circle.
    That which does not kill me has made a massive tactical blunder.
    Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. Louis L'Amour
    '07 Giant Cypress WSD "Radagast the Beige-and-Black" * '97 (?) Bianchi Premio "Orion" * '09 Trek Allant "The Black Pearl"

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BengeBoy, you kill me! I rejected toe clips decades ago, although I've tried several times to learn to like them - mostly because I thought there was something wrong with me and I must not be a serious biker if I didn't use them. But each time ended with a crash where I cursed the stupid things and took them off as soon as I got home.

I've been riding clipless/cleatless pedals for years.

Now I'm toying with the idea of trying clipless pedals. Same thing - because everyone swears by them and there must be something wrong with me and I'm not a serious rider if I don't use them. I almost bought some last week, but the minivan broke and I needed to conserve money.

If someone doesn't talk me out of it, I may have some Keos as early as next month. Maybe I'll like them. Maybe I'll finally be able to reject them based on experience, rather than because I'm odd. But if I do it will be a lot more expensive experiment than simple clips and straps. (I still have several pairs in boxes somewhere. Maybe they're collectors' items on Ebay.....)

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the risk of your foot slipping off the pedal, or worse, going into your front wheel? I wear cycling shoes on all of my longer rides and street shoes for some of my short transportation rides, but I am always glad to have my old school toeclips and straps. I adjust the straps just loose enough to permit me to yank me feet out of the pedals. I have been riding this way for 100k miles / 40 years.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    What about the risk of your foot slipping off the pedal, or worse, going into your front wheel? I wear cycling shoes on all of my longer rides and street shoes for some of my short transportation rides, but I am always glad to have my old school toeclips and straps. I adjust the straps just loose enough to permit me to yank me feet out of the pedals. I have been riding this way for 100k miles / 40 years.
    Excellent point.

I have 10's of thousands of miles in toe clips.
    I have maybe 20,000 miles on clipless pedals (and not a single fall!).

So venturing into clipless/cleatless land seems like a big risk to me; scary new technology and all.

So far (using them for a second day), I still have all my toes. The models I bought were designed by Rivendell (for MKS) to be super grippy, and they seem to be so.

I have to add that getting ready in the morning for my commute is now much simpler. Before, it's getting everything packed, get dressed, eat breakfast, deal with the kids, put on shoes last so I don't scratch the floors of my house w/my SPD cleats.

Now, I can just get dressed (including shoes), and run around the house taking care of stuff, and then jump on the bike and go. They must have spent *years* figuring out how to engineer a pedal that can be used with normal shoes -- wonder if Nike secretly funded the research.
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 06-18-09 at 11:52 AM.

My Bikes
    Univega Trail
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used clips or special cycling shoes, but I'm getting Freddier and Freddier as I get older.

Does anyone have anything to say about Powergrips? Their simplicity tempts me.

see Power Grips

Kevin

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you must have to duct tape your shoes to those, right?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevrob View Post
    I've never used clips or special cycling shoes, but I'm getting Freddier and Freddier as I get older.

see Power Grips

Kevin
    Never used them but one of the replies points out one of the problems- I was thinking could happen- Difficulty in getting into them.

Now these platform pedals-I just can't use them. Mainly because with SPD's my feet are held onto the pedals and with platforms my feet keep shifting around. Main problem is that as soon as I put pressure on- I start lifting up on the pedal- and platforms don't work that way.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a lot of different kinds of pedals, including some of these amazing new type. They are all good for some things and not so good for other things. Variety is the spice of life.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have some of these new pedals on my old fixed gear.. the traction is amazing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    ...First, some background. As well all know, all pedals originally had toe clips on them. That's what I started riding on my first "serious" bike, back the my 20's, along with some good 'ol Detto shoes.In the early 90's, I switched to clipless pedals ...
    Clearly a typo, but I fixed it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevrob View Post

see Power Grips

Kevin
    I purchased and installed Power Grips along with light weight aluminum pedals around 2 months ago - outstanding - the Power Grip system provides 90 or 95% of the benefits of clipless with total ease of use.

I recommend them highly.
    Best regards
    Barry,68,New Jersey
    2012 Trek 7.4FX - Exercise for life

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about threading both pedals in the same direction so that they are interchangeable.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about stone wheels...or even a fixed gear bike??

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw an ad for a new bike with something called a "coaster brake."

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artkansas View Post
    How about threading both pedals in the same direction so that they are interchangeable.
    They already do that with automotive lug bolts (lug nuts for all of you who don't drive VW/Audi cars), which is why it is somewhat more common for a left side wheel to come loose. Pontiac and a few others experimented briefly with left-threaded bolts/nuts/studs on the left side of the car, but too many folks were shearing them off by turning them the wrong way.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I have to add that getting ready in the morning for my commute is now much simpler. Before, it's getting everything packed, get dressed, eat breakfast, deal with the kids, put on shoes last so I don't scratch the floors of my house w/my SPD cleats.

Now, I can just get dressed (including shoes), and run around the house taking care of stuff, and then jump on the bike and go.
    Unless I am planning to ride more than a few miles, I can do the same thing with flat-soled running or tennis shoes and toe clips.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something must be wrong with me. I don't think my feet have ever slipped off my pedal in 40 years.

This thread is making me think maybe I should stick with my clipless/cleatless setup. It's cutting edge technology!

My Bikes
    Salsa Casseroll
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They already do that with automotive lug bolts (lug nuts for all of you who don't drive VW/Audi cars), which is why it is somewhat more common for a left side wheel to come loose. Pontiac and a few others experimented briefly with left-threaded bolts/nuts/studs on the left side of the car, but too many folks were shearing them off by turning them the wrong way.
    Chrysler, too. My '74 Dart had LH lugs on the driver's side.
    Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast