Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: A first for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A first for me

This morning's commute home held a very special suprise for me. The sun was just rising at 5:20'ish and with a low pressure system settling in, the various rows of clouds made for quite a sunrise show. Every imaginable shade of red and yellow was present.

Now my ride home is generally towards the North East but for a short time I turn to the West. Wow! At first I thought I was looking at an orange cloud shaped like a vertical pillar but, as I continued scanning the western sky I eventually realized I was seeing a double rainbow. Nearly 50% of each rainbow was evident and they both had a very orange glow to them throughout their entire spectrum, and the sun hadn't even crested the horizon yet.

Now as beautiful as this all was, it also meant that rain was coming in from the west and it was almost upon me. Oh well, take the bad with the good. I got about halfway home before it started coming down but considering the show I had just witnessed the rain didn't seem all that bad.

Isn't it amazing the beauty we can witness from the seat of a bicycle?

Yawn....nighty-nite!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you do that has you commuting home so early in the morning?

I love early morning rides. During the school year, from Sept to the end of Nov, I ride morning 4AM rides.

Absolutely, the best time of the day to ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
    What do you do that has you commuting home so early in the morning?

I love early morning rides. During the school year, from Sept to the end of Nov, I ride morning 4AM rides.

Absolutely, the best time of the day to ride.

The kind of job that a High School Goof-Off and College Drunk gets....I work in a Chemical Refinery for a company that is so mis-managed that they invented themselves out of business and then mis-managed their own inovating invention. The grunts like me are rewarded with decreasing benefits and shrinking paychecks. I work rotating shifts of 12.5 hour durations...two day shifts followed by two night shifts. Life would suck if I didn't have my bikes to escape on and an active imagination with the ability to stick my head deep, deep into the sand. Oh, and a very patient and understanding bride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who takes the time to enjoy the kind of things you witnessed this morning is #1 in my book. And being magnanimous enought to share them........priceless. I love that kind of thing, because in those off times, with no one around it seems like the views were made just for you. I saw a cardinal, a rabbit, some hawks on a ride last week and felt very blessed. I guess I should have shared those thoughts then, but didn't.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)