Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Do I Choose Between These Hangers?

I have nowhere to keep a bike. I am looking at this method. But, these all look alike while the prices vary. Does anybody know how to choose one of them other than just assuming the most expensive is best and the cheapest is worst. In the past I haven’t found that method to be very accurate.

http://tinyurl.com/mvkqbw
    http://tinyurl.com/kke5ul
    http://tinyurl.com/mrtn72
    http://tinyurl.com/lmd2qq
    http://tinyurl.com/le9uem

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recommendation: Just put some hooks up and turn the bike over and hang it by its wheels. This isn't hard to do when you get used to it. You can hook the front wheel in and then push up on the seat to get the rear wheel hooked in. Simpler and cheaper.

My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son put up two of the systems just like in your first links for my sister in law and her husband and her husband absolutely hates them. He said they are awkward, slow and in general a PIA.
    I use a sysem very simalar to TromboneAls except I just put the hooks through the drywall ceiling and into the trusses. It works very well for me and if my garage wasn't so messy I would show you a picture. I also have a freestanding rack that I made that holds 4 bikes in a relatively small space.
    Here is a pretty simple looking one that would be better than pulleys to me. http://www.bikerackshops.com/PLB-2R.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Recommendation: Just put some hooks up and turn the bike over and hang it by its wheels. This isn't hard to do when you get used to it. You can hook the front wheel in and then push up on the seat to get the rear wheel hooked in. Simpler and cheaper.
    +1, but I only use one hook per bike, and it is high enough off the ground (on a wall) so the free standing wheel is about 3 inches off the ground. The hooks can be bought at Home Depot or similar type store for under $1 each.

train safe

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bikes hang by the rear wheel on a hook in the garage ceiling - takes just a minute to hang them when I get back from a ride.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go both ways, wait that doesn't sound right, how about I use both systems. I need to get my bikes off the floor, with enough room to walk underneath. The hooks are good if the bike is light, hoisting a heavy bike and trying to get the wheel on a hook can be a pain. My road bikes are on the hooks, one is steel the other AL, I have hooks for both wheels. My MTB gets the hoist, it's easy to use if you remember to keep the lines untwisted. It goes up easy and has a brake so it won't fall if you let go of the line. The real down side is the several yard of line that dangles from the hoist. I also use one to store a wood frame kayak, about 60+/- lbs.
    Either way, it's up to you to make sure they are secured to the ceiling joists, neither is any good if they fall and let your bike get hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not had much luck with the Racor pull up ceiling bike hangers. Crap quality. If you look at them, they are all made in the same Chinese factory so go for the cheapest one if you want to try them. Unless your ceiling is too high, simple hooks to hang the bike by the wheels work best.

The best ceiling bike storage system ever made was the Wrench Force deal from Trek. It is no longer made maybe due to the fact that it was almost $200 retail! May still be found at some Trek stores.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many bikes are causing the problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    How many bikes are causing the problem?
    I never get tired of that picture
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)