Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got the dreaded call from the Emergency Room

Don't you just hate those??

My brother is 12 years younger than me and also rides. He was out with a group of 5 others this morning and it started to rain. He took a right turn at a very moderate speed (about 15 mph) and radius but still went down-hitting his right hip very hard. There wasn't any gravel or sand on the road and he did not hit the striping. We haven't had any rain in a while so he figures the asphalt was just slick from accumulated stuff.

He had broken the same hip about 5 years ago when he was hit by a car while out riding. He still sports 2-3 screws in the femur and has a slight limp from that episode.

He got back on the bike after crashing this morning and rode a good while until the hip began to seize up. He said it swelled as large as a soccer ball and decided it best to just stop riding. He is single and I live about 40 minutes away-so he called a cycling friend to come out and pick him up and take him to the ER. Needless to say he was very concerned he had rebroken the hip.

Fortunately he supposedly just has a very sore and very, very bruised hip. Tomorrow will most likely be even worse. He's going to have his Orthopedic Surgeon review the xrays tomorrow just to make sure there wasn't any other damage.

On the plus side, the xrays did not show any signs of deterioration of the ball of the femur which he has continued to be worried about (loss of blood flow like Floyd Landis' injury).

He had also just put a brand new tire on the rear wheel. It was a different brand than he normally uses and thinks the new tire just didn't have much stickiness to it-felt more like a hard plastic......

I'm guessing he'll go back to the brand of tires he's always used before??

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope it all works out OK.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Trek Allant
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always take it easy on new tires for the first few rides regarless of brand, whether its my bike or motorcycle. They always seem a little slick initially.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best wishes for your brother....and a good recovery. Now I'm wondering what tire he was riding.
    The aging cyclist may not get faster-- but he does get slower at slowing down.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, you are having a lot of bad luck over there. Good luck and a speedy recovery to your bother. How's the other rider doing, that got hit by the truck. I hope OK.
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope your brother will have a speedy recovery.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, those calls can give you a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach. Hope your brother weathers the recovery quickly, but you've got to tell him there are better ways to get his xrays to see how his hip is doing!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not knowing the details I can't speak to any of this except to say that a bruise is better than a break, and I hope his surgeon gives him the all-clear to ride when the swellling subsides.

No matter, this sucks, and I, too, dread those calls. Glad he escaped with so little damage.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Fraser Valley Dave
    My Bikes
    devinci monaco (upgraded)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best wishes for a complete recovery for your brother. I know what he's concerned about in regard to his hip blood circulaton. I broke my hip in 2000 and they opted to bolt and pin it together but warned me that it might not get enough blood flow for the hip ball to live. The surgeon said if it was healthy after 2 years, chances were greatly improved that it would be alright....that was 9 years ago and my leg/hip feels great. You say that your brother broke his hip 5 years ago and his x-rays show no signs of dying bone mass....sounds like he has good blood flow through the break, that's great! and should lessen his anxiety and worry about the bone dying. It's also wonderful to hear that he never let his first incident make him give up, that he continues to go out and enjoy life. You can miss so much if you sit home and feel sorry for yourself.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    How's the other rider doing, that got hit by the truck. I hope OK.
    He's still very much on the mend-still unable to walk without using a walker. Getting back on his bike is his motivation to push through the ongoing therapies to help him recover. We're all really pulling for him but his progress seems to have really slowed down. It's certainly not because he is not making the supreme effort though.

Recreational Commuter
    My Bikes
    Two brand-less build-ups.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe View Post
    He's still very much on the mend-still unable to walk without using a walker. Getting back on his bike is his motivation to push through the ongoing therapies to help him recover. We're all really pulling for him but his progress seems to have really slowed down. It's certainly not because he is not making the supreme effort though.
    PT is like any other form of excercise, you will plateau from time to time. If your friend has a good working relationship with his therapist, he may be able to work with them on a change in the program that will get him past the plateau sooner. Sometiems all it takes is just some different ways of excerising the same area.
    Riding the Ohio MS Central Ohio Challenge tour, July 12th.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JPPE,

Very sorry to hear about your brother's crash. We hope for the best and a fast recovery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear of your brother's crash and injuries - best wishes to him for a good recovery.

I often find that new tires, whether the bike or car feel a bit "greasy" for lack of a better term for a while.

Jeff, still fat