Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mickelson Trail- all rail trails are NOT flat.

We rode the Mickelson trail in South Dakota last week. WHAT A TREAT! This was one of the most beautiful, and challenging rail-trails I've ever been on. Some of the climbs were miles long, never really steep, but long. The scenery was fantastic. I'd highly recommend this one. We started in Deadwood, rode 50 miles to Hill City on the first day, and spent the night there. Next day we rode the remaining 60 miles to Edgemont. Dakota Taxi shuttled us and the bikes back to Deadwood. Turns out we had just missed an hour long hailstorm after leaving Hill City.

The trail surface is crushed gravel/small gravel, and is hardpacked. Every so often, there's enough gravel to cause slips/slides. We ran with Pasela Tourguards, 1.25s, and didn't have any real trouble, but you had to watch your speed on the descents. Probably would've been a little more stable with 1.5s or 1.9s.

Learned a new trick- this was the first time I had the rack on the LHT. After leaving Pringle (lunch stop), I shifted into the smallest cog and the pedals IMMEDIATELY came to a halt- solid, no kidding thunk/stop. Stopped, looked things over, nothing appeared out of the ordinary. Manually put the chain on the middle ring and middle cog, and took off again. No more problems the rest of the trip. Answer in pic below.
    And the rust on the chain is from driving 900 miles home in pretty much non-stop rain/drizzle.

Trying out the Facebook link for albums- don't know if it'll work for non-members or not.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...3&l=223d7be434

Link to trail brochure:
    http://www.sdgfp.info/parks/regions/...TrailGuide.pdf

Link to Deadwood Bicycle page, where I got the trail info, and shuttle info:
    http://www.deadwoodbicycles.com/mick...son_trail.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dellphinus; 07-10-09 at 05:00 AM.
    DP
    04 Specialized Expedition Sport
    08 Surly LHT

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, been there done that on my Trek 520 when I put a rack in place. The 5mm bolt on the drive side needs to be JUST so long.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wondering if a "Fein multimaster top tool" would be of use to you in this instance.Just trying to help Bro.Ed in Ga to justify the purchase of his new tool.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My multitool would've been of use if it came with a couple flat washers... Since the trail was relatively slow- the only opportunity I had to get on the small cog was on that dowhill paved road from the saloon.
    DP
    08 Surly LHT

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't know whether I will ever get to S. Dakota, but will certainly ride that trail if I do. Thanks for the pics.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM sent. I must know more about this. The Black Hills is my favorite vacation destination.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho View Post
    Yep, been there done that on my Trek 520 when I put a rack in place. The 5mm bolt on the drive side needs to be JUST so long.
    Well good gawd man, why didn't you warn me about that?
    DP
    08 Surly LHT

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those little bolts are in an annoying spot for sure.

Rail Trails are nice but the trails in my area sometimes have long grades. Up or down. They are paved and smooth for me but sometimes I can't tell if I'm going uphill or downhill. Weird huh?
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Council of the Elders billydonn's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been to Deadwood several times BC (before cycling) and have noticed that trail. I was looking at the website for it recently and, funny, it did not say anything about the trail surface. Thanks for the heads up on it... I will not miss it again.

There is a time to resign oneself
    to old age and infirmity. You first.
    My Cycling Blogspot

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One tidbit I left out- there are places where the rails are visible thru the surface of the trail, up near the deadwood end. Have never seen that before on a rail-trail conversion.
    DP
    08 Surly LHT

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billydonn View Post
    Been to Deadwood several times BC (before cycling) and have noticed that trail. I was looking at the website for it recently and, funny, it did not say anything about the trail surface. Thanks for the heads up on it... I will not miss it again.
    If you download the brochure (with the elevation profile), it mentions it there, and recommends no skinny tires. I added some info links to the original post.
    Last edited by Dellphinus; 07-10-09 at 08:13 AM.
    DP
    08 Surly LHT