Thread: Shoe Help

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoe Help

After many years on my road shoes I am thinking about replacing them - My current pair are Niki (they don't even make bike shoes anymore) and are about 13 +/- YO. The BF50+ shoe of choice seems to be Sidi but I have a line on some DMT's - pricey even at the deal I can cut. Any experience with this brand?
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None with DMT but they look fine. I have a pair of Sidis but do not use them and keep them as backup.

I use the Shimano R300. Most of my cycling friends have switched to the R300 at the track and on the road. It is custom fit at the bike shop by heating the shoe in an oven and then using a bag over your foot and shoe and a vacuum pump, forming the shoe to the contours of your foot. They are very comfortable and fixed a foot problem for me. YMMV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been riding the R300, non-moldable predecessor. Will prbly get R300's next time. Sidi's, DMT's, Carnacs do not fit me. The toe box is too pointy. For any shoe, individual fit is most important. Try on as many pair as you can. Most brands are really pretty good, with the major difference being basic shape characteristics.

I did try on a pair of R300's recently and they felt a little larger in the same size as my current Shimanos.

If Sidi's fit, that's great. They have much better longevity due to replaceable bits like heel plates and buckles.
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not get the R300 as Hermes suggested, but in looking that shoe over I bought the R160 that appears to be made for Nashbar by Shimano and seems to have about the same features - but when I bought them they had them for a real good price and I had a 20% off coupon for orers over $70 so I could not pass them up.

I took them out for a 40 mile spin today - a ride that hass a 900' climb about 1/3 of the way into it. They were very comfortable but what I noticed most was my old shoes were really sloppy on my feet - these seemed to have much better direct power transfer without the requirement of "taking up the slop" as the pedal goes around. I actually feel like my pedaling form was more efficient and I could feel the bike at the acceleration points in the pedal strokes. My big concern is whether or not my feet will go to sleep on me on the really long rides.

BTW - I did not get them molded yet, if I think I will need to do that I can take them into the labs at work where we have the neccessary ovens and vacuum equipment to do the job. Right now they feel fine as they are, my feet are very normal and easy to fit.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.