Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

LandRider

Old 08-13-09, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LandRider

Auto gear bike sounds to good to be true. Does anyone know anything about these bikes? I am new back to riding after too many years to disclose and have never ridden a cycle with gears. What do people know about this bike?
Old 08-13-09, 09:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LandRider

I forgot to give you the name. LandRider.com will get you there. Thanks
Old 08-13-09, 09:25 AM
GO BIG RED

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shifting on bikes now days is ridiculously easy. The Landrider infomercials make it out to be something hard to do, it's not. The main thing is to keep the bike tuned up. Something certainly do-able by the bike owner or if the owner is not willing to learn the mechanics, then a shop can do it. Not a big deal. What they fail to mention is that maintenance applies to the Landrider also.(even more so). Other than that they are heavy dept. store quality bikes with low-end components. Yes, I know some have been taken on long tours, but that would be the exception, not the rule. They'd be O.K. for toodling around the neighborhood I quess, but no better than any other bike.
Old 08-13-09, 09:30 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Never riden one. I'd still go with the Nexus.
Old 08-13-09, 09:52 AM
GO BIG RED

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just looked at their website. Interestingly, they denounce "manual" shifting as too complicated and problematic, yet they spec. "manual" shifting on a couple of their models (roadbike & hybrid) Hmm...
Old 08-13-09, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Get a bike with a Nexus or Alfine internal gear hub. Pretty dang easy shifting on those.
Old 08-13-09, 10:25 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Wow! Walmart quality bikes with a questionable shift mechanism sold for real bike prices. What a deal!

They are marketing on irrational fears. I'm surprised they don't claim that normal gear shifters will kill your grandma.
Old 08-13-09, 10:32 AM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 431 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by norwood
The main thing is to keep the bike tuned up. Something certainly do-able by the bike owner or if the owner is not willing to learn the mechanics, then a shop can do it. Not a big deal. What they fail to mention is that maintenance applies to the Landrider also.(even more so).
During the last two seasons our shop sold Trek Limelites with automatic shifting. Every single one was returned.

We offer lifetime free adjustments and a free basic tune-up in winter, to get that bike ready for spring. We like our customers to be out and riding and back into the shop buying accessories, 'cause that's where the margin is anyway. It also remedies the "cheaper to replace" syndrome, where a bike is ridden and never maintained, sits in a garage for a couple years, and then needs a $150-plus-parts tune-up to make it roadworthy.

I know today's comfort and fitness hybrids are a cinch to ride, because our customers are telling us they love their Globes, FXs, Navigators, and Townies.
Old 08-13-09, 10:44 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trek, Giant and Raleigh also sell auto-shift bikes. These are 3-speeds. I have no problems with anyone liking how these operate, but operating a standard 3-speed is extremely easy. You just turn your wrist to select 1st, 2nd or 3rd. I suggested a few of these in my response to your other thread.

If you want to try an auto-shift out, it shouldn't be too hard to find a shop carrying one. I believe Trek has them on a big sale right now.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-13-09, 12:13 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
LandRider = junk
One will come into the shop I work at every few months. Same quality as high end Walmart or entry level Dick's Sporting Goods bikes.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 08-13-09, 01:38 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No real specification of the bike but if you buy one- you will get an upgrade worth $100. That will include

Fully adjustable alloy handlebars
Shimano front derailleur
Alloy pedal crank arms
Alloy suspension seat

If the bars are not adjustable- there will be a fit problem
Lots of grades of Shimano F.D's and some are not good. So what Cr*p is fitted initially
I only know of Resin Cranks that are not made of Alloy of some description and they ARE Cr*p
And an alloy seat post at this price will cause problems- I paid the amount the bike cost (Well nearly) for my suspension seat post.

Sorry but looking at the bike- Don't bother .

Just go along to a Local bike shop and see what they can offer. A cheap bike from a known manufacturer will suit you better.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-13-09, 02:14 PM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a friend that teases about the Landrider... "so many gears but none of them right..."

Shifting is not particularly hard. There are times when you want to push more and times when you want to sit back and spin. With the Landrider, you have no choice. It is whatever the bike chooses for you. nd like a car with too many bells and whistles, it means more to maintain and can go wrong. For the money I would really invest in a good bike, start out on flats and just practice shifting. After a short while it becomes so second nature, just like driving a stick shift car.

But it's all about what you want and if it makes you ride more, than go for it.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 08-13-09, 03:22 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, FCR2, Cypress

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Landrider= A bad solution being marketed for a non-existent problem. They even have info-mercials for these things. Just junk engineering trying to make a buck with snazzy marketing.

Shifting the most complicated bike is no big deal. Left hand shifts the front rings between high medium and low ranges (or high and low ranges on a compact double) and the right hand selects the gear from up to 10 choices. You do have to be moving to make the shifts and shouldn't shift while cranking hard like going up a hill. As said before, if this is too much to deal with, go for an internal geared hub (IGH). Those can be had with 3 to 8 gears, all selected with just one hand. What you loose for the sake of simplicity is a little range. The IGH will not usually have a gear as low or as high as regular derailler type shifting. But, the IGH is sealed, clean, can be shifted when not moving (like while stopped at a traffic signal) and very simple to use.
Old 08-13-09, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
If you can't figure out shifting, what are you doing on a bike? It will just make tuning a derailleur more difficult. bk

Last edited by bkaapcke; 08-13-09 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 08:13 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
I saw on the internet that Lance and his RadioShack mates will all be riding LandRiders in the '10 TDF!
Old 08-13-09, 08:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
I saw on the internet that Lance and his RadioShack mates will all be riding LandRiders in the '10 TDF!
That would be a sure sign of doping!
Old 08-13-09, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3351 Post(s)
Liked 5,400 Times in 2,796 Posts
Originally Posted by norwood
I just looked at their website. Interestingly, they denounce "manual" shifting as too complicated and problematic, yet they spec. "manual" shifting on a couple of their models (roadbike & hybrid) Hmm...
Anyone who thinks manual shifting is too complicated certainly wouldn't be able to handle balancing.
I'm surprised they don't come with training wheels.
Old 08-13-09, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8147 Post(s)
Liked 8,800 Times in 4,368 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Wow! Walmart quality bikes with a questionable shift mechanism sold for real bike prices. What a deal!

They are marketing on irrational fears. I'm surprised they don't claim that normal gear shifters will kill your grandma.
Old 08-13-09, 10:32 PM
Fran & Nanette

Bikes: Gary Fisher Wingra, 30 yr old KHS Mountain Bike, Used Yakima traile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
"Wow!" " ...What a deal!
"...normal gear shifters will kill your grandma."

Quick, sell before the rush devalues all of your bikes and buy a Landrider before they are unavailable at any price!
I read it on Bike Forums - it must be true.
Old 08-13-09, 10:43 PM

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The LandRider is the bike that got me back into riding. You must still manually shift between low and high range. If you can manage that, you can shift a "normal" bike. I had the LandRider about 8 months and sold it on ebay. Might I suggest if you must buy one save some money and purchase on ebay. Same company sells their reconditioned returns there for much less. I did find myself at times wishing I could shift the darn thing as it had me cruising at too high for me cadence. Had to speed up so it would shift, then back off a bit and hope it didn't shift back. Anyway the Trek 7200FX was so much superior to the LandRider. Much lower gearing to climb hills. Index shifting a breeze. I'd recommend you skip the mistake and go right to a hybrid or comfort bike.
Old 08-14-09, 10:52 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On the one hand, I have little respect for someone who is too stupid or too lazy to consider learning how to shift the gears on a multi-geared bike. It's not that hard to learn. (Harsh!)

On the other hand, it's good for people to be cycling and if not having to learn how to shift will get them there, that's good. I have plenty of friends/acquaintances who don't want to learn to shift, and I still like them.

If a LandRider gets someone cycling, that's a good thing.

There are other alternatives besides the LandRider. If it's really a heavy, crummy, expensive bike, maybe people would be better off with something else. I don't know much about it.

I think one big hangup of people vis-a-vis shifting is having two shift levers. They don't know how to use the two in combination. If you just have one shifter, it's easy. The gears go from low to high.

When my kids were learning they started on single-speeds to learn how to balance, ride without training wheels, etc. Their next bike was a little Specialized with a 6-speed rear derailleur only. They had no trouble with that and loved having gears. After a couple years on that bike they were ready to move to a 24-speed bike. They were ready to learn to deal with using two shifters in combination.

When I was a kid in the late 50's and early 60's, I went from a single speed to a bike with a 3-speed Sturmey-Archer rear hub. These days there are options with internal-geared rear hubs that would be excellent for someone getting into cycling. I'm thinking of a Trek Lime or something similar.

P. S. I'm a 6th grade teacher. I take my class on a bicycling field trip each year. Prior to the trip I check all their bikes to make sure they have brakes, the wheels aren't about to fall off, etc. More than half of them ride mountain bikes with 3 chainrings and a bunch of gears in back. At least half of those kids keep their bikes in one gear combination ALL THE TIME! Typically they ignore the front derailleur - wherever it ends up becomes its default position. They pick a gear they like in back and stick with that. I hear things like this all the time: "I like 5. 5 is my favorite gear!"

Old 08-14-09, 12:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Bikers...

Today I noticed I has a private message from a kind soul who wanted to help me understand that even though I haven't ridden in more years than many of you have under your belt, the possibity is still available. Good advise, simply put works for me. Thank you to him! Loosen up others... you won't always be fit and nimble!!!

GrammaK
Old 08-14-09, 01:21 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GrammaK
Hello Bikers...

Today I noticed I has a private message from a kind soul who wanted to help me understand that even though I haven't ridden in more years than many of you have under your belt, the possibity is still available. Good advise, simply put works for me. Thank you to him! Loosen up others... you won't always be fit and nimble!!!

GrammaK
Good sensible reply.

You have sussed out the knockers and found the helpers- good on ya.

Only thing I hope you have picked up from the replies- Manual shifting is easy- Good bikes come from known manufacturers and Only you can tell what you want.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-14-09, 01:29 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Equiping a bike with Nexus (or similar) makes a lot more sense than LandRider.