Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   D Fox - How about a short summary of Annual Ride Calendar (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/559184-d-fox-how-about-short-summary-annual-ride-calendar.html)

HiYoSilver 07-06-09 12:45 PM

D Fox - How about a short summary of Annual Ride Calendar

Denver Fox and others,

It's getting to where I need to do some planning for the ride, a new thread with just the key info, then closed, with the main thread, would be most appreciated. I hate to browse thru the entire thread
to be sure I'm not missing any key data.

What I'ld suggest including:

1. Planned events: location, time, date

2. map of ride(s)

3. What about liability? Do we need to pay for it, and if so, how much?

Thank you.

DnvrFox 07-06-09 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by HiYoSilver (Post 9228009)
Denver Fox and others,

It's getting to where I need to do some planning for the ride, a new thread with just the key info, then closed, with the main thread, would be most appreciated. I hate to browse thru the entire thread
to be sure I'm not missing any key data.
What I'ld suggest including:

1. Planned events: location, time, date

2. map of ride(s)

3. What about liability? Do we need to pay for it, and if so, how much?

Thank you.

Well, I need some folks to step up to the plate who have sort of - umm - disappeared. And the following is suggested.

LET'S MAKE THE CARAVAN INN OUR MEETING POINT.

(Nora and I are going to Glenwood in 2 weeks, and we will tie down more specifically locations, etc.)

1. The Ride is August 31, starting early (I would like to be "on the trail" by 7:30 am,

as it can get HOT), from Glenwood Springs to Aspen and back. However, folks can go as far as they want for as long as they want. The prettiest section is Carbondale to Basalt, and one can drive there and start from there if they don't want to go the entire ride.
Other planned events included a dinner or two. There was someone on the listserv who was arranging that, and had suggested a place, and given them call. However, I don't remember exactly. Are you there? Or do we need to start from scratch?

Anyway, let's plan on a dinner Sunday night - 08/30; 6:00 pm and

Monday night 08/31, 6:00 pm. We can easily find a place, if the person who volunteered doesn't respond.

I would suggest that folks who are interested and haven't done the trail bordering the Colorado River leave from Glenwood early Sunday morning the 30th and take the round trip. The engineering is spectacular, and so far, we have had a very wet June, so, hopefully, the Colorado River will be running high. Many rapids to see, there are folks running the river in their rafts, etc. The highway and trail are likely the best example of highway construction in the US of A. Very much imbedded into the spectacular environment of the canyon. This would be a 33 mile ride or so, and would be a great warmup for Monday's ride. I would suggest leaving again, about 7:30 am. The very first part of the trail is not so pretty, and at times I drive to the first rest stop and start from there.

2. Maps of ride

http://www.ourwebs.info/riograndetrailmap.jpg

The Glenwood Canyon Recreational Trail simply follows I-70 through the canyon.

http://www.canyonbikes.com/img/scenic_16.jpg

http://www.mesalek.com/colo/glenwood/map.gif

3. Liability - yes, and Delphinus and qcpmsame were working on it. I sent them a PM last week, but no response. Are you there? About $10.00

HiYoSilver 07-06-09 06:39 PM

Thank you for the update.

DnvrFox 07-06-09 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by HiYoSilver (Post 9230158)
Thank you for the update.

Good Idea.

I also posted as the first post of the sticky

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=488051

Dellphinus 07-07-09 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 9228211)
Well, I need some folks to step up to the plate who have sort of - umm - disappeared. And the following is suggested.

3. Liability - yes, and Delphinus and qcpmsame were working on it. I sent them a PM last week, but no response. Are you there? About $10.00

No one has -umm- disappeared; it's summertime- work and vacations...

I provided the info on insurance, and calculations last year, and again yesterday. If we have a solid count I can figure exact amounts necessary.

We'll need someone to collect funds and disburse to the LAB and insurance underwriter. I can provide details who/where/how.

Based on DFs current tally of 34 "very likely", it'd be 3.76 each. If folks decide to attend after we've already bough the insurance, they're covered, we'll just need to collect money at the event to square up with the folks who've already paid.

DnvrFox 07-07-09 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dellphinus (Post 9232086)
No one has -umm- disappeared; it's summertime- work and vacations...

I provided the info on insurance, and calculations last year, and again yesterday. If we have a solid count I can figure exact amounts necessary.

We'll need someone to collect funds and disburse to the LAB and insurance underwriter. I can provide details who/where/how.

Based on DFs current tally of 34 "very likely", it'd be 3.76 each. If folks decide to attend after we've already bough the insurance, they're covered, we'll just need to collect money at the event to square up with the folks who've already paid.

And, thank you for all of your efforts!!

Sorry to come on so strong.

Been a rough week with son in hospital, me passing a kidney stone at the same time, etc.

My apologies.

Is the person who was arranging the restaurant around anywhere?

Dellphinus 07-07-09 05:39 AM

Took a quick look at the headcount spreadsheet- is it current? Time to have folks commit/re-evaluate? I for one am still planning to attend, with my wife, so I'm in for 2.

DnvrFox 07-07-09 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dellphinus (Post 9232124)
Took a quick look at the headcount spreadsheet- is it current? Time to have folks commit/re-evaluate? I for one am still planning to attend, with my wife, so I'm in for 2.

Yes, I think it is time for folks to pedal or get off the saddle.

How about us designing and me posting a form on a web site that folks can download, fill out, and send to me or you with some $$$$?

I can post easily on my website.

I think we really need to know name, address, phone, cell phone, emergency contact info, etc.

Dellphinus 07-07-09 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 9232123)
And, thank you for all of your efforts!!

Sorry to come on so strong.

Been a rough week with son in hospital, me passing a kidney stone at the same time, etc.

My apologies.

Is the person who was arranging the restaurant around anywhere?

Hope you and your son are doing well.

I think that was cgallagh working on the restaurants- I found a PM to that effect...

Beverly 07-07-09 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 9232137)
Yes, I think it is time for folks to pedal or get off the saddle.

How about us designing and me posting a form on a web site that folks can download, fill out, and send to me or you with some $$$$?

I can post easily on my website.

I think we really need to know name, address, phone, cell phone, emergency contact info, etc.

This sounds like a good idea. I'm still planning on attending and would like to start making some plans.

DnvrFox 07-07-09 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dellphinus (Post 9232160)
Hope you and your son are doing well.

I think that was cgallagh working on the restaurants- I found a PM to that effect...

OK, I will send a PM

Thanks for checking.

Yes, son is at his host home, my KS has passed. As Andy is profoundly developmentally disabled, and can't tell us what hurts or the like, and shouldn't stay in the hospital alone, it gets pretty rough all around when he is hospitalized. I was there all one night and most of the time during the days.

Dellphinus 07-07-09 06:10 AM

I'll download the waiver form and post it, we need everyone to fill that out that anyway...

DnvrFox 07-07-09 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dellphinus (Post 9232209)
I'll download the waiver form and post it, we need everyone to fill that out that anyway...

Thanks!!

DnvrFox 07-07-09 06:22 AM

It would also be helpful if they gave us both their real name and their screen name.

Dellphinus 07-07-09 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, here's the waiver form- everyone needs to download a copy and fill it out for each rider planning to attend. We do not need to send them anywhere, just have them filled out. We can collect them at the ride if that's convenient.

We still need a volunteer to collect and disburse funds... anyone have a paypal account? This will involve cutting a $45 check to LAB, and an $83 check to the insurance carrier.

DF- should all this be in the official thread- are we confusing things by going to separate threads again?

edit- reloaded as txt file- BFs mangles the doc formats for some reason...

DnvrFox 07-07-09 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dellphinus (Post 9232265)
OK, here's the waiver form- everyone needs to download a copy and fill it out for each rider planning to attend. We do not need to send them anywhere, just have them filled out. We can collect them at the ride if that's convenient.

We still need a volunteer to collect and disburse funds... anyone have a paypal account? This will involve cutting a $45 check to LAB, and an $83 check to the insurance carrier.

DF- should all this be in the official thread- are we confusing things by going to separate threads again?

I ended up having to install a MS converter to download and decode the form and then having to choose which Japanese symbols to use, ending up with gibberish.

I have to go now, but perhaps it would be best for me to post on my website.

Later.

Beverly 07-07-09 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dellphinus (Post 9232265)

edit- reloaded as txt file- BFs mangles the doc formats for some reason...

The .txt file works fine. Mine is downloaded and saved:)

HiYoSilver 07-27-09 09:58 AM

I'm not finding it this morning. For the monday ride:

1. what is the length?
2. what is the starting elevation?
3. what is the elevation change, i.e. how much climbing?
4. Is there a place partway thru the ride where non-riders can meet up with us?
5. is there an elevation/terrain map of the ride linked?

thanks for any info

DnvrFox 07-27-09 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by HiYoSilver (Post 9362527)
I'm not finding it this morning. For the monday ride:

Here is the "official" description

http://www.traillink.com/ViewTrail.aspx?AcctID=6015415

1. what is the length?

44 miles one-way

2. what is the starting elevation?

Glenwood Springs - about 5800 or so - you can check

3. what is the elevation change, i.e. how much climbing?

About 2,500 feet or so over 44 miles. It is a railroad bed.

4. Is there a place partway thru the ride where non-riders can meet up with us?

Yes, many, many places.

5. is there an elevation/terrain map of the ride linked?

I don't know of any. It is an easy ride. Perhaps someone could find one. Check out "Rio Grande Trail" - I think it is described in the rails to trails web page.

thanks for any info

NealH 07-27-09 03:19 PM

I can't imagine going to a place like Colorado for an annual bike riding event, and not including any mountain climbing. No doubt riding by the river is beautiful, but an event like this should be longer than one or two days. It should be several with people deciding on their own how many days they will spend there. And the itinerary should include at least one day riding up one of the more famous passes in the mountains.

Maybe next year.

DnvrFox 07-28-09 03:09 PM

Please see pictures here:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...06#post9372906

DnvrFox 08-06-09 06:13 AM

OK, this is who I have right now:

Yen - 2
DnvrFox - 2
Will Dehne -2
Billydonn - 2
rcummings1 - 1
Beverly - 1
jppe - 2
HiYoSilver**********??
Delphinus**********??

Have I missed anyone??

I have set up a separate email list for the above, except HiYoSilver - I have no email address for him.

DnvrFox 08-07-09 11:09 AM

FINAL (I HOPE) UPDATE ON THE ANNUAL RIDE

The folks we know about who are attending the 50+ Annual Ride in Glenwood Sptings, CO, August 31st have formed a separate email group where we are discussing logistics, etc.

If you are not sure if you are coming or not, it may be worthwhile for you to join this group just to keep up-to-date in case you can join us.

It is not too late, and we would welcome anyone who might be able to join us, even if only for a day or two.

Most of us are arriving Friday and leaving Tuesday.

Please let me know if you would like to be included.

dnvrfox@aol.com

Thanks, all.

Road Fan 08-13-09 06:44 AM

There was a question about elevation/hilliness. On Map My ride, I found this route:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...24770332118365

The elevation profile for this ride, which does not go all the way to Aspen, is in MapMyRide and available at the link.

The ascent is 1683 feet, and the descent is 85 feet. Factor in some additional climb to reach Aspen. The climb profile is rather constant. The climb begins at Glenwood Springs, which is at altitude 5823 feet. By comparison, Denver, CO is 5280 feet, Chicago is about 600 feet, and Pike's Peak is above 13,000 feet.

I hope this helps!

I want to announce that I will not be coming to the 50+ ride, after all. The job search is warming up, and I'm going to need the time to work on that.

colorado dale 08-13-09 04:58 PM

for those staying over note frisco to vail pass will be closed weekdays due to construction
copper to vail pass is open

The bike path between Officer's Gulch and the parking area at the top of the climb from Frisco to Copper Conoco station is going to be closed weekdays starting around August 24th. The path is going to be torn up and refinished between the square culverts just past the upper ponds to the bridge at the parking area.

Riders will be allowed to travel between Officer's Gulch and Copper on I-70 in both directions while it is closed. The work is expected to take 3 - 4 weeks