Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non-spoiler TdF thread?

Many of you keep tabs of the TdF during the day, real-time if you will.

Some of us -- to be succinct -- me -- not to worry about grammar and such -- have very short attention spans and would get nothing else done if we watched the Tour during the day. We -- that would be at least me -- not to worry about grammar and such -- would rather come home at the end of the day and watch it TiVo'd.

However, I'm never sure how far into the race I should skip ahead.

Would one of you -- maybe more -- post things on here like "Stage 5 -- boring until the last 10 minutes at which time it gets riveting" without giving away the particulars?

My family, who would rather watch reruns of "Extreme Home Make-over" than watch any kind of sporting event on TV will thank you.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one? No one at all?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    No one? No one at all?
    Impatient S*d.

Only just picked this up as it is a nice evening and I am out in the garden.

To be honest- I record the whole of the Transmitted programme and a lot of it is just bikes being ridden on the road. The lead group has 7mins 35 secs over the pelaton with 90 kms to go is about the only bit that intesest's me at this stage. Unless there is a Cat 3 climb that will be interesting- I fast forward till I see the Gap coming down appreciably and That is where it gets interesting.

So to save all of us watching 4 1/2 hours with only 15 minutes excitement- It would help if it was mentioned that nothing happened for the first 3 hours or watch around XXX Kms for a bit you must watch.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad, sid, sed, sod, sud, syd.

Just trying to figure out what got censored to see how offended I should get.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That didn't help.

So, I'm guessing that the breakaway was reeled in but a certain German rider launched a brave attack with only a short time to go and held off the field. Maybe BikeSnob or Fatty have some clues.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man up and take control of the remote. This only happens in July.

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only saw last 20 minutes, so stage 5 was boring till last 10 minutes.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad, sid, sed, sod, sud, syd.

Just trying to figure out what got censored to see how offended I should get.
    Self Censorship as I don't know how bad some of Our gentle expletives are over the water. But you have said it- the 4th. one.

And was he German?

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was just a guess.

Yesterday's stage was interesting. It was one where watching it for an hour or two would have made the ending more exciting, I think.

On to stage 6: Let's all try to do better.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not record one of the 2 hour replays instead of the full live morning show?

I like to watch the whole thing when I cam so I get all the bits of info and conversation that comes out during the dull parts. But when I don't have the time, I watch the shorter shows.

As for the family, they have to understand that in July they either watch the Tour or they watch one of the other sets.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was just a guess.

Yesterday's stage was interesting. It was one where watching it for an hour or two would have made the ending more exciting, I think.

On to stage 6:
    Let's all try to do better.
    Now that is funny.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post

I like to watch the whole thing when I cam so I get all the bits of info and conversation that comes out during the dull parts. But when I don't have the time, I watch the shorter shows.

As for the family, they have to understand that in July they either watch the Tour or they watch one of the other sets.
    Amen.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Man up and take control of the remote. This only happens in July.
    It depends who is holding it.

Wife: Honey, why don't we watch The Batchelorette? I'm dying to see who Jillian picks.

Me: You can watch that crap anytime. The TdF is only on once a year.

Ukrainian daughter: Daddy, can we read a book together so I can learn English and someday become a productive citizen?

Me: Oh, I guess, but it better be a short one. I got to see if Lance wins the Yellow Jersey today. It's really important.

Grand-daughter: Can I watch Nina and Star?

Me: Of course you can. I can figure out who won today on the BF spoiler thread.

Speaking of which: where would be a good point to start the coverage today?

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, the 2 hour replays start at 12, 2:30 and 5 (Eastern time. Not sure how it works in other time zones.). Less for you to zip through with your remote to find the best parts.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I get home from work- I start watching the whole recording--Hard disc recorder - but I also record the evening highlights just in case I have to do something else and miss a vital part

It depends who is holding it.

Speaking of which: where would be a good point to start the coverage today?
    And I did have to do something else tonight so

What happened to Cavendish?

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if no one else is going to step up.

IMHO: just watch the last 20 minutes and you'll hit the good stuff. Unless you want updated profiles on Lance.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might as well read the headlines on any cycling sight if all you want is the basic info. For those of us who enjoy watching the race, the shortcut solutions are not at all satisfying. There are little tidbits of info on many riders, not just profiles on Lance (although there is more said about Lance than even a rabid fan could justify). I really enjoy seeing how different teams play out their strategies and how they adjust them as situations change throughout the race. I found it interesting how the pelaton would react whenever Millar got far enough ahead to become virtual leader on the road. It was fascinating to see how different teams would take the lead in reeling in the breakaway as their strategies came into play. I like seeing the varying scenery as the race moves from open countryside to small villages to large cities.
    Some days I watch the full span of coverage a couple of times and then the "enhanced" coverage at 8pm when they have added more interviews and such.

Rather than advising how to skip to the critical parts, I would tend to suggest ways to work around the obstacles keeping you from watching. It's almost like asking how to spend less time riding your bike.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, BD, I'm not asking for your TV viewing philosophy, and if you go to the different web sites it's almost impossible to learn what the critical sections of the race were without seeing the results at the same time.

It's really really fine with me if you ignore this thread.

I leave the house at 7:30 AM and grab quick peaks at the computer but can't really camp out on it. When I get home I like to watch the race BUT I like to interact with my family, too.

For example, the high drama yesterday was whether Millar could hold off the charging herd. If you didn't have time to watch hours of coverage, you could have gotten the essense of the race from the finaly 10-15 miles or so.

So BD, if watching two or three hours of coverage is what blows your skirt up, go for it.

For others, a simple comment like: "the final 10 miles of the stage were really hairy, don't miss it!" is appreciated.

Geez.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offence, but bite me.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, BD, I'm not asking for your TV viewing philosophy, and if you go to the different web sites it's almost impossible to learn what the critical sections of the race were without seeing the results at the same time.

It's really really fine with me if you ignore this thread.

I leave the house at 7:30 AM and grab quick peaks at the computer but can't really camp out on it. When I get home I like to watch the race BUT I like to interact with my family, too.

For example, the high drama yesterday was whether Millar could hold off the charging herd. If you didn't have time to watch hours of coverage, you could have gotten the essense of the race from the finaly 10-15 miles or so.

So BD, if watching two or three hours of coverage is what blows your skirt up, go for it.

For others, a simple comment like: "the final 10 miles of the stage were really hairy, don't miss it!" is appreciated.

Geez
    So sad....

Here you go.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offence, but bite me.
    No offense taken. Let it go, my friend. Life is too short.

Hermes: is that a violin, viola, or cello?

You'd think I was requesting the winning lottery ticket numbers around here.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offense taken. Let it go, my friend. Life is too short.

Hermes: is that a violin, viola, or cello?

You'd think I was requesting the winning lottery ticket numbers around here.
    Violin. I think you would have better luck with the lottery numbers.

You seem to want the equivalent of a linear program to optimize your viewing pleasure of the tour to filter out non-essential parts. Watch the last 10 minute if you do not have the time.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Commute, nine hour work day, couple of hours riding, check in on forums (at least the one I run, the others are optional), eat, shower, do yard work and other chores, say at least 10 words to my wife, and there are just many days that I don't have time to watch the whole thing. I wish I did. When I'm pressed for time, I just put it on fast forward and stop and back up to watch the interesting places, and the end. I'm trying to downsize, simplify, slow down, and retire, but that's a story for another thread.
    Last edited by Bud Bent; 07-10-09 at 10:47 AM.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you have tivo'ed it start watching , fast forward, watch, fast forward watch, ect ect ect, or just watch last half hour or less.
    Watch with family and talk about the race so they feel included.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
    Since you have tivo'ed it start watching , fast forward, watch, fast forward watch, ect ect ect, or just watch last half hour or less.
    Watch with family and talk about the race so they feel included.
    Starting by recording one of the two hour recaps, skipping the intro where the broadcasters pick their winner etc. and fast forwarding through the numerous commercials, you are already down to less than an hour of content. I would think you could scan through some obvious nonessential parts, catching sections that look promising and then watch the last 20-30 minutes minus the replays and ceremonies at the end and see enough to satisfy your minimal requirements for content and still manage time to speak to your wife, spoil your grandkid and ensure the civic development of your daughter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast