Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

She ran right into the chain link fence.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-09, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Yep, while out yesterday I saw a group approaching an intersection with four way stop. The first three riders in the group started to slow down. This was good because cars are notorious for doing a rolling stop at this intersection. The fourth rider, a young woman in her 20's didn't slow down and was going to blow through the intersection. At the last minute she noticed a car doing the rolling stop thing, and quickly swerved to her right running full tilt into a chain link fence. While she hit a spot between two posts that had some give, the impact knocked her off the bike and she and the bike were shot back toward the direction from which they came. (It actually looked like something you might see in a cartoon.) She jumped up, had a trickle of blood running down her leg (chain ring tattoo), was shaken up, but otherwise seemed fine. After checking to see if I could offer assistance I started to pedal away and heard her say, "I guess 'Stop' really does mean stop." I can't make up my mind if she was a quick learner or a slow learner.
Old 07-06-09, 07:17 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
--

Sorry, just can't help it.
Old 07-06-09, 07:40 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick or slow she did learn something...that may save her life.
Old 07-06-09, 07:43 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
We can endlessly debate whether one need to come to a full stop or a very slow California roll, but blowing through a stop sign any faster than walking speed is irresponsible.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-06-09, 01:07 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Fuji Absolute 4.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
--

Sorry, just can't help it.
+1 sorry but the chuckles just blurted out. she was one lucky lady there to walk away from that one.
Old 07-06-09, 01:51 PM
pedo viejo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Salsa Pistola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
We can endlessly debate whether one need to come to a full stop or a very slow California roll, but blowing through a stop sign any faster than walking speed is irresponsible.
+1. We are vehicles. And vulnerable to boot.
Old 07-06-09, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Regardless if she was going to blow the stop sign, or the car was doing (what we call) a Jersey Slide, in a car v bike contest, the bike always loses. She got off easy.
Old 07-06-09, 03:00 PM
don't be so angry

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
california roll? Jersey Slide? we call it a cleveland steam- oh wait, never mind
Old 07-06-09, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On an organized century a few years back on farming country roads, I came to a 4 way stop signed intersection with visibility blocked by mostly-grown corn. I slowed way down due to visibility....as I crossed the intersection I saw 2 highway patrol cars, a tarp spread on the side of the road, a mangled bike and a pair of cycling shoes on the road surface. Very sad. Neither cylist nor car had stopped. The rider was killed, the hit and run driver to my knowledge was never caught.

I still blow through country stop signs if I see no one coming. It's a hard habit to break...nobody wants to lose their rhythm of course.
Old 07-06-09, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
On group rides I've been on, there have been multiple times when I've witnessed the whole group flying thru a stop sign or even a yellow-to-red light. I've had a couple of nasty crashes in my time that were always my fault to at least some degree. I'm at an age now where I don't like to hit the ground hard, so now I'm just much more careful.
Old 07-07-09, 02:23 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
One of the reasons I enjoy off road riding is NO CARS. Plenty of other things to bother about and the most serious I get is trees suddenly jumping out into the middle of the trail.

But we do have a few problems with idiots. On a fast downhill and I saw the rider in front of me throw his bike down and keep himself as low as possible to the ground. He also screamed out---"Every body Stop". His throw down was at 20mph and it was intentional from behind. Some one had stretched and nailed barbed wire across the trail at just above wheel centre height. The rider had seen it just in time.

We could not get the Staples out so strung branches along it to warn others and then found the Forest Ranger. There had been a spate of this in the last couple of weeks and we were advised to take it carefull on the trails in the forest till they caught the offender. They did catch him but I was wary of fast downhills after that.

But those trees that jump out in front of you. Stuart Has a trick on the Tandem of running through low branches and not warning me. He ducks at the last second and I get it full in the face. Thats when I take the pressure out on the next climb and I have even jumped off the Tandem and run past him up a particularly steep climb and told him I am checking for low branches.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-07-09, 09:58 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Several of us in our group are trying to change our group culture a bit to be better about stopping at stop signs. The group tends to roll through at a reduced speed. Four or 5 of us are calling out "stopping" and trying to come to a complete stop. But it's hard. Others are catching on, but it seems like we are always doing intervals trying to catch up with the group that didn't stop.

It's really about the group culture. It is hard to be the only one actually stopping at a rural stop.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 07-08-09, 03:57 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
Several of us in our group are trying to change our group culture a bit to be better about stopping at stop signs. The group tends to roll through at a reduced speed. Four or 5 of us are calling out "stopping" and trying to come to a complete stop. But it's hard. Others are catching on, but it seems like we are always doing intervals trying to catch up with the group that didn't stop.

It's really about the group culture. It is hard to be the only one actually stopping at a rural stop.
Unfortunately, that culture will be the first to scream foul when not accorded all of the perceived rights of automobiles on the road.
Old 07-08-09, 02:34 PM
Fred at large

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it comes to stop signs (even rural ones) I stop. Not because I am any more law abiding that then next guy, but because I KNOW that cars don't stop. The only way I'm not going to be the victim in a car/bike accident is if I keep my eyes open and do whatever it takes to be safe.

This includes stopping at a stop sign where all directions are clear & there isn't any vehicle/pedestrian/cyclist traffic. The other people I ride with do as I do and NO ONE says anything or complains.
Old 07-08-09, 03:03 PM
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's what I loved about my two-day charity ride last month. They had cops/volunteers at all the stop signs (and traffic lights) halting the traffic and waving the waves of bicycles past.

Awesome.