User Tag List

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode with the B-Boys

Well last night I thought I would try riding in one of the local group rides. I rode down to the meeting point, 9 miles away btw, and told them I was new and wanted to try riding in a group. They were all nice and said welcome. I knew the leader of the "B" group from way back and had not seen him since way back either so I was going to hang with the "B" group.
    The "A" train was looking pretty spiffy with full kit and all and some impressive bikes to boot. Anyway we took off for a 25 mile ride. The A-train went ahead and the B-boys started to hang back as expected. Well as I rode I started to think I was maybe in the wrong group as I was having to reign myself in as to not drop these guys. It was a good ride pace but as the hills came I was dropping them and waiting . The longer we rode the more I was having to wait around for them.
    I am not too good and leading and when I got in front my pace shot up and I dropped them, I didn't want to but it just happened as I was still riding what I thought was slower than I normally would have if solo. I slowed down, way down, to let this one guy catch up and we went in as a pair. The rest of the B-Boys were nowhere to be seen.
    At one point near the end I heard someone yell coming by, it was a foursome of the A-Train guys blasting by. Not sure why they were behind us , maybe they took a longer route? I was thinking of trying to catch them but at that point I was riding pretty slow to let that lone B-boy to catch up before we headed in together and I was thinking no I will wait for him and stay in the B group as planned.

Not sure I was all that keen on group riding but it was my first time and maybe next time I will go with the A-Train and see how I hang with those guys, I am sure I will be the one getting dropped but it could be interesting to see when.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Group rides can be fun and challenging. If you are "called" follow your heart and go for it. Like you said, you may get dropped at first. If you really want to ride with those guys, find out what your limiter is and work on it during one or two other rides during the week. From my experiences with group riding, once I got to the point of hanging I ramped up the efforts during the ride by taking more or longer pulls, racing up hills etc... it never gets easier, just more challenging. Some days I just do the group ride to get out with riding buddies, sit in, talk and love the hell out of being there.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty impressive for your first group ride!!
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a lot to group riding and those "A" group boys will know to do it. It is not just going fast and although they may be prepared to let complete newcomer to group riding into their pace line- They will be wary of you.

Pace line riding takes a brain and quick reactions. If you don't have them- you are trouble so Slow down for a while and learn the group riding skills with tyhe "B" group for a couple of rides.

Or tell the "A" group that you would like to join them to see if you are fit and fast enough- but ask to sit at the back until you have learnt the skills. That won't help much as they will try to lose you as soon as posiible but at least you will know if you are good enough.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    There is a lot to group riding and those "A" group boys will know to do it. It is not just going fast and although they may be prepared to let complete newcomer to group riding into their pace line- They will be wary of you.

Pace line riding takes a brain and quick reactions. If you don't have them- you are trouble so Slow down for a while and learn the group riding skills with tyhe "B" group for a couple of rides.

Or tell the "A" group that you would like to join them to see if you are fit and fast enough- but ask to sit at the back until you have learnt the skills. That won't help much as they will try to lose you as soon as posiible but at least you will know if you are good enough.
    Good advice but I want to be clear that I was not trying to go fast in the B group, in fact I was slowing to stay with them. One weird, at least to me, thing I noticed when riding with the B-Boys was a few of them as I was behind them were in the small front ring and spinning like crazy as we were on a flat road.It would seem to me if they were to go on the big ring and a lower one on the back they could pick up a little speed. I dunno. It could have been that they were waiting on someone who was having trouble for all I know too.?

I know that a A group will be very wary of a new guy and as a new guy I would surely let them know and I would want to stay back and see how fast it would take to drop me. I know I have no experience in a paceline so going in the A group would not be the place to learn without them knowing me and how I ride. So if I continue to ride in the group rides, and that may not happen to be honest as I really just like riding solo,I would learn slowly all the group aspects of it and then let them know me as well.

It was different for sure.

EDIT: Okay I just got an e-mail from the group B leader. I had e-mailed him apologizing for leaving them and he replied saying no roblem. He told me that two of the guys were infact slow and wont be there next week and that next week for me to come back and the pace will be faster. He talked of a paceline so maybe I will check it out but being sure that I let them know I have never been in one before.
    Sounded good but then there were other B riders and they were not ...well before I go talking anything about anybody I better be sure I know what I am talking about. I am sure it will be a learning curve for me if I go.
    ( think I am starting to babble so....) *poof*
    Last edited by kr32; 07-09-09 at 04:56 PM. Reason: new info

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ( think I am starting to babble so....) *poof*
    Babbling is allowed (encouraged?) on the 50+ forum. Sometimes it is the best way to communicate!
    Gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for fun new group of 50+ folks