Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: RAW and RAAM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RAW and RAAM

I was very interested in the RAAM this year, especially due to the Pac Masters and their ages 73, 75, 77 and 83! Several of them have done the RAAM several times. I looked for any e-mails for them but I couldn't find any. Does anyone happen to know how many miles they ride each week to get ready for somehing like that? My hat is certainly off to them! Or, does anyone have a link to a training program used by utra-distance riders?

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can ask our local RAAM hero, "Plutonium" Pete Penseyres.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete Penseyres?

Pete Penseyres is the first "top dog" of the RAAM if memory serves me! Very interesting. I would appreciate it. I always need something to motivate me and I almost have talked my son-in-law to think about the RAW in 2-3 years. He's 40 and a natural athlete and could do it easily. I, on the other hand, would really have to train. I would be 65 then in 3 years. I think it would be good for my 13 grandkids to see that you can still do fun and interesting things when you get older if you keep your mind young.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pete used to ride to work and back every day, something like 75 mile round trip.
    My friend/clubmate David Jones has finished solo RAAM twice, once at 60 and once at 61. Really, training for it involves riding huge miles, practicing sleep deprivation, and figuring out nutrition. No secrets there. He also did a test ride of 1300 miles, or so before his first RAAM effort, which he dnf'ed due to hyponatremia.