Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: When it's 108 F

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it's 108 F

....you just don't feel like riding.

Yesterday morning I did a short 15 mile loop about 6 AM. The temp was already 85 degrees. I'm not sure but I think we had the nation's high here in CenTX yesterday, or if not we were tied with a town in the Texas panhandle.

Last week I was in Creede, CO catching cutthroats and brown trout with a high for the week of 74 F.

What a difference a week makes. I must be gettinng old.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    85 degrees at 6am would make anyone feel old. Hang in there.

How is the humidity in your part of Texas?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been an up and down summer here too. A couple weeks ago I did a 110 mile ride in 100 temps and this week I've been riding in the upper 50s. The last few days it's struggled to get to 70 each day. It's supposed to be in the low 80s for my metric tomorrow.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty high right here. Elevation is only about 1100'. Sometimes it can be low, but it usually run to 60% and higher.

I just checked aviation forecast and this is supposed to hang around for 10 days or so of high pressure.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100Plus is pretty common in summer for us. Low humidity thankfully. We tend to ride early in the am. Even so, super hot days dictate keeping things 'moderate' which still drives up the HRM. After a few miles, my Heed bottles take on the quality of tepid piss...perhaps the worst part and makes me daydream in the heat of SnoCones.
    The aging cyclist may not get faster-- but he does get slower at slowing down.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was 104 degrees at the start of my ride yesterday, with enough humidity to make the heat index over 110. It's supposed to be over 100 degrees again tomorrow while I do a 200k. We'll likely make a couple of extra stops on that ride.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in New Braunfels, and the heat index has been bad. I usually try and ride before noon, I like to watch the tour de france kick off and then I go riding. It is usually around 85-90 with a heat index of 100-104. I come home wet from sweat (head to toe). Being 68 I try to ride 15 miles a day. I cut short on two days and it made no difference. It is just dad burned hot.

Pop's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it's that warm I notice my igloo sure melts fast! I b**** and complain when the temp here reaches the high twenties celcius I can't imagine the fourties.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit I am a wuss. When it gets up above 85 I don't ride. Heat just drains all the energy out of me. So I do something else. I'll do a hike either early or late afternoon or evening instead. No sense risking heat exhaustion or stroke...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat doesnt really bother me, but, I take it easier when the temps are above 90-95. The past couple of weeks the temp was 100+ when I finished a couple of rides. As for easy, I ave 16-17 mph for a 30-45 mile solo ride.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo Fellow View Post
    After a few miles, my Heed bottles take on the quality of tepid piss...
    Is there any other kind?

The heat starts to bother me after about 95 degrees. As long as I can get enough water I'm usually O.K.
    This summer has been pretty nice, so far. 2 years ago it was 114 on the July 4th ride.
    I hate the summer at night when it's too hot to sleep, and I hate the summer at work when I feel like I'm going to barf.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right big john. Thanks. Make that "the tepid quality of piss".

I doubt anyone would notice or care in any other dept. of Bike Forums. Which is why I check in here most often. Nothing tepid OR pissy about us.
    The aging cyclist may not get faster-- but he does get slower at slowing down.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't have the "High" temps very often over here- but for those of you that complain about temps of 100 degree+-- How do you get on in temps of around freezing?

Many years ago I worked in France and in the height of summer the temp was way up there. We could work in it- well you had to- and you could do physical stuff in it. Difference was the low humidity.

I find that if it is hot- I can still cycle as the wicking top will evaporate any sweat and this helps to keep me cool- until I stop. Then the body temp goes high and I start leaking. This is "Possibly" the only time that a cotton vest may work- but I doubt it.

And the reason for mentioning freezing temperatures- Ride temperature is what you get used to. This year I have done rides with only my wicking base layer and a short sleeve top. That was not the case last year where I had to wear a long sleeve right through the year.

You get used to a temperature through acclimatisation. Doesn't matter if that is 35deg or 100. Providing it is consistent. But throw in a cold spell to either of us right now and a ride might have to be thought about.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    We don't have the "High" temps very often over here- but for those of you that complain about temps of 100 degree+-- How do you get on in temps of around freezing?
    I prefer riding in cooler temps as long as I am dressed for it. Freezing is fine as long as there is no ice on the road. When I lived in the mountains I rode the mtb in the snow all the time. Some great memories of snow flying around while bouncing along the trails.

My parents brought me to this place with the hot summers and I just can't seem to stay away. Wish I had moved some place cooler years ago.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for those of you that complain about temps of 100 degree+-- How do you get on in temps of around freezing?
    I prefer moderate temperatures, but I would rather ride in over 100 than under 30. In fact, I'm pretty wimpy with anything under 40. I won't usually cancel a ride because of it being too hot, but I do try to plan them early in the day when it is going to be hot. It should be a pleasant 72 when I ride in to work tomorrow, but about 94 when I head home in the afternoon. I'll take it easy, drink a lot, sweat a lot and take a shower as soon as I get home.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many years ago I worked in France and in the height of summer the temp was way up there. We could work in it- well you had to- and you could do physical stuff in it. Difference was the low humidity.

I find that if it is hot- I can still cycle as the wicking top will evaporate any sweat and this helps to keep me cool- until I stop. Then the body temp goes high and I start leaking. This is "Possibly" the only time that a cotton vest may work- but I doubt it.

And the reason for mentioning freezing temperatures- Ride temperature is what you get used to. This year I have done rides with only my wicking base layer and a short sleeve top. That was not the case last year where I had to wear a long sleeve right through the year.

You get used to a temperature through acclimatisation. Doesn't matter if that is 35deg or 100. Providing it is consistent. But throw in a cold spell to either of us right now and a ride might have to be thought about.

Anything under 40 degrees is for storing beer not for riding.

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should come to Boston. It's July 11th as I type this, and we have not had any real hot weather yet.
    June was cloudy, rainy and cool for all but three days. On my evening rides, I'm wearing a cycling undershirt, and I have my arm warmers in my jersey pocket. I have had to stop and put them on a few times. It does not seem that any "real" summer weather, with high temps and humidity, are on tap this year.

A lot of people are loving it, but I like my evening rides in the nice heat.
    I thought I was suffering from depression once. Turned out, I was simply surrounded by idiots.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackhub View Post
    You should come to Boston. It's July 11th as I type this, and we have not had any real hot weather yet.
    June was cloudy, rainy and cool for all but three days. On my evening rides, I'm wearing a cycling undershirt, and I have my arm warmers in my jersey pocket. I have had to stop and put them on a few times.

I have a variety of top coats- one of which is a pertex. It does absolutely nothing for warmth but it does keep the wind out. That is about all as run through a puddle and you will get wet. It does breath though and as such is very useful on my rides.

If it is slightly cool at the start of a ride- I wear the pertex. Just keeping the wind out will allow body temp to rise to comfortable. If I do warm up- then it can come off and being pertex- can fold up very small to fit in a pocket.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I love upstate NY - it barely gets over 90 and over 100 is rare - maybe just a few days a summer. I have only had my sleeveless jerseys out once this summer.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.