Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    '03 LeMond Alpe D'Huez, '99 Giant TCR 1T, '98 Landshark Dirtshart, '09 Spot Longboard 9, '89 Bridgestone MB 3 SS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's it worth?

I own a '94 Bridgestone MB-1 that I bought new for $1375. It's in very good original condition excepting some chipped paint. This was the last year these bikes were made.

http://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/1994/pages/31.htm

I was offered $300 for it today by a Bridgestone enthusiast, who is also a car dealer. He was quite perplexed that I didn't consider the offer very reasonable. My instincts suggest the bike -- as a collectible -- is worth $600-$900. Are there mature guys -- I'm 69! -- out there knowledgeable about collectible Bridgestones and values?

Opinions are welcomed.

Trebor
    Last edited by FELTGood; 07-10-09 at 07:24 PM.
    '98 Land Shark Dirt Shark
    '90 Bridgestone MB-3 Comp

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand the MB series is very desired. A quick look at Craigslist has asking prices of

$200, $350, $500, and $2500

Throwing out the outer values something about $425 would be an average. I don't think the offer was exceptionally low but you're not unreasonable to want more.

BTW - when I fix/resell MTB they are usually not the quality of an MB-1. The prices on Craiglist in my area are higher than average but MTBs won't sell much higher than $150 unless they are high end.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

My Bikes
    Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi FELTgood/ I have a English Triumph three speed with beautiful black paint that I figured for a 100 easy /put a sign on it lots of comer's but but highest bid $25.00 I took the sign off/Kenneth

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bike is completely worthless. If you would like me to dispose of it for you, let me know and I'll give you my address. I'm feeling generous so I won't charge you anything more than shipping charges for my trouble.

Seriously, I think his offer was a little low, but your estimates are a bit high. I would guess about $450 - $500, but I would check CL and eBay for sale prices.
    I sure would like to have a MB-1 to compliment my '92 RB-1 (which is definitely not for sale), but I don't think they are worth what they sell for because of their cult status. Great bikes, but the prices are not based on their rational value.

Good luck selling it. I would keep it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two good ways to get a fix on the value - take photos of the bike, and describe the condition in detail, and post on the "vintage and classics" forum here at BF - there is a sub-forum called "vintage value inquiries."

If you want to get maximum dollar, you should post your bike at the iBob internet mailing list - it's a mailing list populated by Bridgestone fans. I think if you google Bridgestone Owners Bunch or iBob or whatever you'll find it. Top dollar will come from selling to a Bridgestone enthusiast who is aware that you know what it's worth.

My Bikes
    '03 LeMond Alpe D'Huez, '99 Giant TCR 1T, '98 Landshark Dirtshart, '09 Spot Longboard 9, '89 Bridgestone MB 3 SS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Gentlemen. Much appreciated. I guess my love for the bike has inflated my expectations by $300-400. Think I will keep it!

Lots of wisdom in BengeBoy's observation: "Top dollar will come from selling to a Bridgestone enthusiast who is aware that you know what it's worth."

Trebor
    Last edited by FELTGood; 07-10-09 at 07:22 PM.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FELTGood View Post
    Thanks, Gentlemen. Much appreciated. I guess my love for the bike has inflated my expectations by $300-400. Think I will keep it!

Lots of wisdom in BengeBoy's observation: "Top dollar will come from selling to a Bridgestone enthusiast who is aware that you know what it's worth."

Trebor
    Good choice keeping it. As soon as you sold it you would have regretted it and would have to pay dearly to replace it. Part of the value of my Bridgestone RB-1 to me is knowing that it has always been mine. It was a lucky choice to buy it in the first place, but I keep it because I know for certain that I have something special.
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 07-10-09 at 10:42 PM.

My Bikes
    To many to list. I like them all!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would pay $500 for a very nice 1994 MB-1 in my size.
    I own three T700 and one RB-1 Bridgestones now.
    Life is good O^o

My Bikes
    Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you posted that BengeBoy good for us bike colectors to know.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.....much appreciated. I did email Sheldon Brown for an opinion. Received an email from his widow advising that he passed away in Feb '08 at 63. He was an icon as a Bridgestone enthusiast and is missed.

Trebor

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Germans invade Poland!

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $1375 in 1994, that is like $10 billion in inflated 2009 dollars! I would ask much more.