Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rode 2x my age and brought back a food picture

I've had the last five days off from work and it was promising to be a dream come true. Monday through Friday off in early July and the weatherman had been predicting great weather! I was really stoked and had several solo rides in mind, until reality set in. The weatherman was wrong, wrong as rain I might add.

Monday I managed two rides in around thundering downpours, and one of those was my short commute home. The total for the day was a measley 17.7 miles. Tuesday was a tad bit better, I squeezed 30 miles in between severe storms. Wednesday I just gave up. We ran some errands and went to the Drive-in movies that night. Thursday dawned bright and dry. I had a date with my bride and we rode along the Erie Canal, had lunch and rode back. Later Thursday evening I rode out for an Ice Cream and totaled 26 miles of dry, pleasant riding for the day.

Thursday night as I lied in bed awaiting blissful sleep I was feeling a bit let down as I had hardly gotten much bike time in during my five day break. I then and there resolved to do a major ride on the next day. The goal was to ride my second century with a stretch goal of twice my age (116 miles, 58 yrs. old). I shared my plan with my wife and we agreed to meet for lunch part way through the ride.

Friday morning at 07:00 I was climbing onto my bike (well, into actually as I rode the Tour Easy), the sun was shining brightly and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. The rough plan was to ride loops. I have a couple loops I enjoy that would serve my needs well. One takes me West from my house through the town of Greece and is approx. 30-35 miles long, and the other takes me East through the town of Irondequoit and is just short of 20 miles long. I headed East and about three miles into the ride I crossed this pedestrian bridge over the Genesee River Gorge. In reality it's the Pure Waters waste pipeline crossing with a pedestrian crossing built on top of it. As you can see from the picture, it's a nice structure and is accessable by ramp or stairs from both sides. Just a bit of one of the access ramps is visible through the trees to the left.

From my vantage point on this bridge I also took a picture of the Veteran's Memorial Bridge which carries U.S. route 104 accross the gorge, though the early morning light gave me some camera exposure challanges. If you look real close and see my orange safety flag up there crossing that bridge then I would have been caught in some time warp thingy because it was hours later before I made my second loop through Irondequoit and crossed that bridge. Nope, I didn't cross that bridge until I got to it!

After completing one loop through Greece and two loops through Irondequoit, I phoned my bride and we met for a nice hot lunch (love those cell phones). I was at the 70 mile point of the ride so hunger trumped photography and I gobbled down my hot turkey sandwhich before I thought to take a picture to share. I'm sorry, please forgive me.

I now had a 30-35 mile loop left through Greece and tentative plans to close the ride at the century mark and then ride out for an ice cream in the evening to reach the age times two mark. Well things don't always follow the plan and around the 90 mile point I was becoming quite weak. I guess Gatorade will only take a body so far. I knew that if I didn't find an alternate energy boost I was going to fall short of my stretch goal, and I kind of had my heart set on reaching it today. ICE CREAM! Of course! I stopped at a lakeside burger joint that also serves ice cream and I bought a large frozen custard, sat down in their air conditioned dining area and feasted on the custard. Now around here, frozen custard comes in three flavors: Vanilla (my favorite), Chocolate (my sometimes choice) and for those who can't decide....

...there's Twist.

So here I was, 96 miles into the ride. My stomach was full, my body had cooled down (I hadn't realized how hot it was outside, we actually hit the 80's) and I was renewed. I proceded to head back into the west, away from home. I got my stretch goal of 116 miles, in fact I beat it by four miles.

I was home at 06:00pm. Total time out was 11 hours. I spent 45 minutes eating lunch with my bride, and 15 minutes savoring my frozen custard for a total of 1 hour sitting down and refueling. I stopped approx. every 10 miles to drink Gatorade or water. I'm guessing that I probably rode for 9 1/2 hours so my avg. speed was possibly a bit over 12 miles per hour, not really very fast but it got the job done.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 07-11-09 at 04:46 AM.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Twas a great day for it yesterday.

Nice shot of the Veterans' Bridge.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on getting in the long ride. Sounds like a great day.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds (and LOOKS) like a great ride.

My Bikes
    1982 Raleigh road bike & love it
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are the man X 58 or would that be 116

SloSpoke Jim

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice going. A "Twice My Age Ride" is on my "to do" list this summer. I will wait for it to cool down, though. Great photos.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dude!
    Seems if either you or I go on vacation it rains in upstate! There is a high correlation anyway.
    Glad you got a good one in. My Friday was a pure rest day for me, not including the 9 hours at work.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post! Love the pictures as well. Thanks for sharing and the custard looks soooooooooo good!

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    120mi at 12mph! Woo-hoo!
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I'd better do a "twice my age ride" soon, while I still can...

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's quite an accomplishment
    Attached Images Attached Images
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good pics as well-congrats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the birthday ride x 2!

You guys are my inspiration.... I sure hope I can build up to some distances like these.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice job Lenny and I like your refueling idea.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Fuji Absolute 4.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That's amazing. Great job and love the pictures. Quite an eye you have.
    I'll have to get off my duff and start pushing out beyond my half my age rides :-) . you are an inspiration.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic! How are you feeling today?

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Fuji Royale; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Super! I plan on doing the same on August 1st!