Thread: dead - beat

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dead - beat

Yep thats me - dead and beat. I had my choice of two rides today, 70 with the B group or 53 with the B+ group. Since I have been feeling pretty confident with the B group I decided it was time to move up - besides I wanted a little bit more time in the afternoon to do stuff around the house. The B+ group usually runs a more rolling course with a good climb or two thrown in - the average is usually 2 MPH more. Today the speed on the flats was at a pretty good pace but as long as I didn't get cocky I felt OK with it, draining bit by bit but OK. When the big climb came I faded pretty fast, in fact the B ride (which we had passed a mile back) was doing the same climb and I got passed by 1/2 of them as well. I didn't feel so bad about this as we had a lot of rollers on our course and we were holding a strong pace. For the most part I stayed with the group the rest of the ride, I only got well behind on that one big climb, the rest I handled pretty well - they waited for me to regroup. But at the last 7 miles I had had enough - I could not hold on any longer and let them go.

I rode with this group two months ago and was dropped early in the ride - so I have gotten better. I think I need to ride with this group now and work on pushing to the next level. Although right now I am feeling a bit over trained. Even on this ride I felt there was no depth to my reserves. I had to take every opportunity to rest and if a sprint was required I had little to draw on. After my recovery ride tomorrow I will not touch the bike for 5 days. Hopefully when I return so will my reserves.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you're making progress. Why off for 5 days?
    Dan in SW Iowa...
    life is lethal; none of us gets out alive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose that means there aren't any pictures?

It sounds like you've set up a training goal. It will be interesting to hear how it all works out.

Off the bike for five days? Too bad because now that our Summer day is behind us the nice cool weather will be great for riding...54F this morning. I haven't paid much attention to the forecast since the local weather guessers have been so wrong all season, but I most certainly am not complaining too much. I don't handle heat very well.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Off the bike for five days?
    Yea - I have to spend a week on the left coast in meetings. I just think I need some time off the bike.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    . . .I rode with this group two months ago and was dropped early in the ride - so I have gotten better. I think I need to ride with this group now and work on pushing to the next level. Although right now I am feeling a bit over trained. Even on this ride I felt there was no depth to my reserves.. . .
    In our winter prone locales, groups change a lot early in the season. The B+ group that dropped you early two months ago may well have been much less challenging than the group of today.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im with you Cyclin///dead and beatDid my training run with the old cannondale useing the seven speeds on the rear and only the center ring on the front derailier I have no idea why im enjoying huffing and puffing the hills in that mode///MY seat was not right so I ADjusted it and went to an old climbing spot I like up over a 2mi.climb through beautiful hardwood forest then looking down the sheepscot river the resent rain has washed the old stage road so it was a walk ride event for this old fool /I did manage to stay seated on the ride down over this ledge/gravel trail and Its a tribute to my lost weight and gained strenth .IM ready for a nap/Kenneth

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rest is in my future also. I was entered in a 4 race three day stage race and didn't ride the crit race today. I'm just totally beat down. In yesterday's road race I stayed with the lead group up and over the first big climb and held my own until about 300 yds of the top of second climb and finished up about 50 yards off the pace once at the top. Once clear of the top I was toast and could not mount any muster to chase down the hill. Once onto the flats guys who were dropped on the climb kept passing me and I could not even hold their wheel. For the rest of the race every time I hit a hill or roller my power was less and my HR wouldn't get any higher than Z3. In hind sight I remember riding up the second big hill and really suffering with only mid-Z4 heart rate, a key indicator of fatigue. This week is a planned recovery week and I may even skip some of the "active recovery rides" unitl after a few days. Just last week I was riding great and could reach down and draw as much power from reserves as I wanted to. Going from invincible to fragile in 7 days is eye opening.

Rest up Cyclingfool, we'll both be kicking butt and taking names again next week.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Rest up Cyclingfool, we'll both be kicking butt and taking names again next week.
    Thanks a bunch AJ - I hope ypu recover soon.