Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Frozen Zero

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frozen Zero

The wife is gone for a week, and she won't let me go hike the Appalchian Trail, so I went to ride the West Orange Trail today. I drive for an hour, get out on the trail, and my bike is squeaking like an old barn door. I thought it was the bottom bracket, but after a few miles my right Speedplay Zero pedal seizes up. I stopped and tried to turn it by hand, but it was frozen solid. With a little banging I got it to move, but I still had to head back one-legging it for four miles.

So I'm in the market for new pedals. I think the Zeroes were great, and I'm leaning toward another pair. Any thoughts?

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got like 13 years on a pair of speed X2 plays without ever touching them. I bought a second pair for my other bike. I would buy another pair.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only time I have had a pedal go stiff was after I adjusted the bearings. They needed lubricating so after stripping- cleaning and re-greasing. I set the bearing play up right and went out the following week. It was a Nylock Nut and should not have moved- but it did. The nylock felt good but after a few years of stripping and regreasing, the Lock bit of the nylock stopped locking and the nut tightened itself.

I now use Shimano pedals and have yet to need to clean or adjust them so no idea what your problem is.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can buy the bearings, pedal body, and o-rings separately from your LBS and rebuild yourself

they're simple, 2 screws holding pedal body together around bearing and spindle

my guess is bearing(s) is bad - you can probably get new bearings from your nearest bearing shop, possibly cheaper than your LBS

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your title had me wondering how you were freezing here in Fl this time of year. I have never tried speed plays, only Look Keos and Crank Bros. I started with the Crank Bros. but on longer rides my feet bothered me so I switched to the Looks for the bigger platform. I am very happy with them. The Speed Plays are by far the most popular with my riding friends. I would recommend sticking with what you like.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you want to follow internet protocol and swear that you will never buy another one of their products again and neither should anyone else?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^^^^

There also has to be some way to drag Bikes Direct into the discussion.

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    ^^^^^^^^

. . . and Lance Armstrong.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was an hour away and still wanted to ride I might have tried to be McGiver and took a pee on the axle. Maybe the acid from the urine may have freed up some of the rust. Just my 2 cents.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad View Post
    I have never tried speed plays, only Look Keos and Crank Bros. I started with the Crank Bros. but on longer rides my feet bothered me so I switched to the Looks for the bigger platform. I am very happy with them.
    +1
    I would like to try SpeedPlays some day though

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kr32 View Post
    +1
    I would like to try SpeedPlays some day though

Why? I read somewhere that they freeze up and if your in a pinch you can pee on them and they'll work again - just sayin...

Anyway - I also read somewhere that Lance Armstrong gets his from Bikes Direct.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerlenbach View Post
    The wife is gone for a week, and she won't let me go hike the Appalchian Trail,
    Umm, can ya blame her? Last guy that used that excuse got caught tapping a chica in Argentiina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    If I was an hour away and still wanted to ride I might have tried to be McGiver and took a pee on the axle. Maybe the acid from the urine may have freed up some of the rust. Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Originally Posted by tntyz View Post
    . . . and Lance Armstrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Don't you want to follow internet protocol and swear that you will never buy another one of their products again and neither should anyone else?
    OK, I'm sold. I'm going to pee on the pedal, just like Lance would. If that doesn't work, I will never buy those POS Zeroes again, and neither should you. Does BD sell pedals?

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried peeing on my pedals but kept hitting my shoes. Bikes Direct told me that they sent my Flomax but that Lance Armstrong picked it up mistakenly believing that it was a set of Speedplay pedals.
    Last edited by rck; 07-13-09 at 09:46 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a serious note, I've run Speedplays for a few years, but had problems with the cleats always getting clogged with dirt and debris anytime I stepped off the road. However,I think they are great pedals on the bike and worth an attempt to re-build before buying (like most high end pedals these days, they cost more than my first "good" bike). I moved to Look Keos on three of my bikes and have been happy with them, especially the price of replacement cleats... much less expensive than Speedplays (which are still on two other bikes). So, give rebuilding them a shot first. In terms of peeing on the pedals as Lance might, keep in mind that his pee might be just a bit radio active from the radation therapy. So, you might not get the same results.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    On a serious note, I've run Speedplays for a few years, but had problems with the cleats always getting clogged with dirt and debris anytime I stepped off the road.

Do they not make cleat covers for Speedplay pedals? The Kool Kovers I wear when walking in my Look cleats keep the mud and muck off of my cleats and keep me from skating across convenience store floors.

I would need to check the book to be sure, but I don't think Lance had radiation treatments. I know he has surgery and chemotherapy, so maybe his chemo-pee would make the difference in rust erosion.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Do they not make cleat covers for Speedplay pedals? The Kool Kovers I wear when walking in my Look cleats keep the mud and muck off of my cleats and keep me from skating across convenience store floors.

I would need to check the book to be sure, but I don't think Lance had radiation treatments. I know he has surgery and chemotherapy, so maybe his chemo-pee would make the difference in rust erosion.
    Speedplay "Coffee Shop Caps". The word on Speedplay road pedals is cleats have to be replaced more frequently at more expense ($40+) than other types. So anything you can do to extend their service life is a good idea.

I just ordered a pair of Light Actions. It looks like you're supposed to inject grease (which drives out dirty old grease automatically, no disassembly required) pretty frequently, maybe every 500-1000 miles. Were you doing this?