Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

D&R Canal in NJ, a Nice Non-Century Ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-09, 11:40 AM
Oldtimer

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh LTD, 1985 Cannondale SR300 (2), 1986 ROSS Eurotour, 1991 Giant Sedona MTB, 1992 Trek Antelope MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Last Saturday, I rode on the D&R Canal State Park Path in NJ, from Frenchtown to Trenton. I put the full account of the ride here:

https://backroom.hardsdisk.net/canalpath.html

If you're ever in NJ and aren't looking to do a century or even half century, this is a great ride for all ages. If you've cycled the D&R canal path, you know what I'm talking about.

If you're nervous about riding near Trenton, there's no need. choose a turn around point and do the ride again in reverse back to your car. There's a link on the above page where you can get mileages to the various access points on the path.

This was a nice short training ride for me. I'll be volunteering at the Farm Ride in Amherst Mass and doing a metric on Saturday Aug. 8th.

https://www.thefarmride.com/Home_Page.html

Maybe I'll see some of you there?
Old 06-19-09, 12:15 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Nice report and pics. I always enjoy reading and seeing others rides.
Old 06-19-09, 01:56 PM
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by borgagain
Last Saturday, I rode on the D&R Canal State Park Path in NJ, from Frenchtown to Trenton. I put the full account of the ride here:

https://backroom.hardsdisk.net/canalpath.html

If you're ever in NJ and aren't looking to do a century or even half century, this is a great ride for all ages. If you've cycled the D&R canal path, you know what I'm talking about.

If you're nervous about riding near Trenton, there's no need. choose a turn around point and do the ride again in reverse back to your car. There's a link on the above page where you can get mileages to the various access points on the path.

This was a nice short training ride for me. I'll be volunteering at the Farm Ride in Amherst Mass and doing a metric on Saturday Aug. 8th.

https://www.thefarmride.com/Home_Page.html

Maybe I'll see some of you there?
Nice report and photos!

I live just east of Pennington, NJ and the D&R feeder canal path is often part of my rides. Typically, I'll ride up into the Sourland "Mountains" for some hill work, eventually come down to the river north of Lambertville, sometime as far north as Frenchtown, ride down either the path or route 29 to Lambertville where I have lunch at the Lambertville Station, then if feeling like more hills, ride away from the river, or if I want to take it easy ride down to Washington's Crossing on the path and then away from the river there - a less steep hill.

Just after you pass under route 202, you have to jog left to stay on the smooth part of the path. This is about a mile north of Lambertville. The path is on the east side of the canal for about two miles. Judging from your photos, you got over to the east side on Coryell Street. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the graffiti covered rail car is occupied by some homeless people.

Here's a link to some photos from September, 2004 (I lived in Lawrenceville, NJ then) from miscellaneous rides including the flooding on the Delaware due to hurricane Ivan. That flooding destroyed the path on the Pennsylvania side of the river and that path has yet to be repaired.

- Ed
Old 06-19-09, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by groth
That flooding destroyed the path on the Pennsylvania side of the river and that path has yet to be repaired.

- Ed
The last I heard PA had no intention of repairing the tow path on thier canal, which is too bad. The tow path on the PA side was nices to ride on than the road.
I ride the D&R main towpath all the time, it's part of one of my regular route, I live close by. Last week there was a blue heron standing on the towpath. It took off when I approached. I was able to ride along the towpath as it glided over the canal. That was one of the coolest thing I had happen on the bike in a long time.

Nice report, your description of the bell use, and being ignored is spot on. Don't worry about passing other riders, just say 'hello' when you do. It's easy to tell the type of rider your passing, some go faster, some go slower. At least the dog was on a leash.
Next time your in the area give me a shout, I'll ride with you. The locks on the main canal are cool to see.

Last edited by leob1; 06-19-09 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-20-09, 12:55 PM
Oldtimer

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh LTD, 1985 Cannondale SR300 (2), 1986 ROSS Eurotour, 1991 Giant Sedona MTB, 1992 Trek Antelope MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by groth
I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the graffiti covered rail car is occupied by some homeless people.
It's funny, I suspected the same thing about that rail car when I saw it and the partially opened door. I snapped the shot and quickly moved on so as not to disturb anyone who might be inside.

Originally Posted by leob1
Next time your in the area give me a shout, I'll ride with you.
I just may do that. Having a riding partner would be another luxury added to the flat ride.
Old 06-20-09, 01:14 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for the nice write up. I enjoyed it.
Old 06-22-09, 07:24 AM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode part of that path about 13 years ago and enjoyed it. Thanks for bringing back memories.
Old 07-14-09, 01:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Kentucky, but I was on a temporary work assignment for several weeks last year that had me staying near Princeton. I brought my mountain bike with me, and got on the D&R at Washington Street. A nice ride - surprised at the amount of wildlife I saw. Turtles basking on a log near Trenton (About the point where the canal turns into an industrial sewer!), and as I cam around a bend a young deer came running down the path towards me and jumped into the brush!

I found some of the spillways to be difficult....well, sometimes impossible.....to ride.
Old 07-14-09, 07:30 PM

Bikes: 1995 Schwinn High Plains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live near the midpoint of the Trenton-Raritan part of the canal, which is about 40 miles long. Parts of it are very rooty, but it's still one of my favorite rides, especially with young teenagers who are just starting to enjoy cycling.