Thread: ID Tag?

My Bikes
    Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ID Tag?

Yesterday I was a few miles into my ride on back country roads when I realized that I had no form of identification on me. In my aged absentmindedness I had forgotten to put my drivers license in my seat bag. Yes, no money, no cards, nothing.

I guess I could just write my name and address on a piece of paper and put it in my bag but I would like something a little better. I remember seeing an add for an ID bracelet on here but I didn't pay any attention to it at the time. Does anyone have the link or know the name of it?

Thanks

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    +1 on the roadID.

In addition, many new cell phones have a file for your personal information and first responders are being trained to look there as well. Even when off in the woods, my cell phone will be in the bag (off). It provides one last bit of insurance in case I have to drag myself out after an accident. With my new phone, I probably will start leaving it on with the ringer silenced.........that way they can use the GPS feature to find the body...

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the 'cheapie' kind of guy that uses a plastic luggage tag or a small sealable bag with the info inside. Attach where you want, or in several places.

tsl
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
    Attach where you want, or in several places.
    I tried the "attach in several places" bit. I tried wrist and ankle. But then I couldn't pedal or steer.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well this will raise an ugly image but the roadID will stay on your body, the bike might get destroyed in an accident. Having the ID strapped to your leg might be an advantage to keeping your ID on the bike.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear the road ID dog tag, and keep it with my helmet. I sort of loop it in the helmet vents so that I can't put the helmet on without dealing with it.
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a copy of my insurance card in the seat bag of each of my bikes. I do need to get a Road I.D. or MedicAlert tag or one of several other similar products to alert emergency crews to some specific airway problems I have.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have no significant medical issues, then the RoadID or similar is overkill.
    I wear a cheap dog tag on a neck chain with name, address, phone, and wife's cell. (24/7)
    ID on your person is better than on the bike, in a bag, etc.
    ICE on the cell phone is good, if the phone ends up near you.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    1999 Lightspeed Classic, Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on comments in a similar previous thread, I just ordered one of these:
    http://www.boomerangtags.com/page.php?c=military&k=h

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    + 1000

My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon

I thought of that while riding my bicycle -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just use a Neck ID Wallet with a few bucks in it and medical info and an old drivers license.
    It may not be fancy but it gets me were I need to go.
    http://www.jtgraphics.net/cyclist_bicycles.htm

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I both have and use the Road I.D. brand. Hers is the necklace dog-tag version, mine goes on my wrist via velcro. When I take mine off I velcro it onto my helmet so I don't forget it.

I think my wife throws hers in her helmet or a cycling shoe. Doesn't cost much, so well worth having.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK - thanks a bunch - lots of great responses.

ROADID seems to be interesting but it drives a follow on question -

Of the people here who have the ROADID ID, who is using just the basic ID and who is taking advantage of the Interactive ID? Why? They cost the same.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RoadID +1

You could carry a little slip of paper in your pocket, I suppose, but here's a little caveat: my DH and I were in a near-fatal automobile accident a few years ago and I was unconscious and unresponsive for a few hours, during which they cut off my clothes and threw them away...along with my wallet in the back pocket...which had my ID...

Fortunately, the DH was awake and babbling, though not really all that coherently. They managed to get some useful info out of him, though.

I always wear RoadID when I bike and run now. It's just basic, with three phone numbers on it for family members.
    Specialized Ruby Expert; Salsa Casseroll, Rivendell Betty Foy; Xtracycle

tsl
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianL View Post
    Of the people here who have the ROADID ID, who is using just the basic ID and who is taking advantage of the Interactive ID? Why? They cost the same.
    I use the basic one for two reasons.

1. It was the only one available. The interactive one has been added since.
    2. The interactive one takes my information and removes it from me by one step. When people are engaged in trying to save my life, I'd rather they didn't have to stop everything and surf the web, you know?

Besides, in my case, the major feature of the interactive one--being able to change data on a whim--isn't really needed.

• My drug allergies aren't likely to change.
    • My doctor's phone number isn't likely to change.
    • My next-of-kin are unlikely to change.

And if any of that does change, well after four years, I could use a new wrist strap for mine anyway.

the dream shall never die galyons's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R900 CAAD 8 Campy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Road ID

Wear the basic bracelet ID & medical insurance #. The interactive has it's benefits for the more "move prone" members of society.

Geary

My Bikes
    1992 Bridgestone RB-T, 1997 KHS Summit X converted to an Xtracycle, 1993 Trek 970 SingleTrack, 1973 Raleigh Grand Prix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a MICS (Medical Information Carrier Services) ID on my motorcycle helmet. Same idea as Road ID, either a local piece of information or an Internet based one. The one I have is a plastic sleeve that sticks to your helmet with the ID info inside. It used to be free for the asking, but that got abused. It is still free with any order, or $1.99 each with free shipping from Cycle Gadgets. Next time I order from them I plan on getting one for all of our bicycle helmets.

MICS has their own bicycle version, too, that is a red sticker for the outside of the helmet telling you to look inside the helmet for the medical information. This version is linked from the above web page.

surfrider
    I don't carry any form of ID; no ROADID, no paper with scribbles, no drivers license, no dog tags, no nothing. I don't even own a cell phone. I don't see where the level of risk, or the probability of getting into an accident, has appreciably changed over the last few decades as all these products (and the paraniod-inducing advertising used to promote them) have been developed and been put on the market. I wouldn't be out pedaling if cycling presented a high enough risk that I thought I needed this stuff.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been looking into the RoadID and more than likely will get the basic wrist version.
    I do not wear any sort of jewelry so wearing a wrist band will be hard but knowing it could save my life in an accident will out weigh the discomfort.
    I think the wrist is for me because of stories I have read about any other form being thrown away or cut off when in an accident and the wrist one still "on you" there to give the information and not in the bushes or somewhere else after an event. Helments get knocked off , shoes as well.
    Now I need to decide on color, yeah I know.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfrider View Post
    I don't carry any form of ID; no ROADID, no paper with scribbles, no drivers license, no dog tags, no nothing. I don't even own a cell phone. I don't see where the level of risk, or the probability of getting into an accident, has appreciably changed over the last few decades as all these products (and the paraniod-inducing advertising used to promote them) have been developed and been put on the market. I wouldn't be out pedaling if cycling presented a high enough risk that I thought I needed this stuff.
    What if you suffer a sudden illness, an event more likely to happen as age advances?

too old for bike shorts? cyclehen's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my name and emergency contact info on the inside of my helmet

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by surfrider View Post
    I used to think this about highway driving and exploding tires.
    Specialized Ruby Expert; Salsa Casseroll, Rivendell Betty Foy; Xtracycle

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I don't have any medical conditions, the only problem with the medics not being able to identify my unconscious body would be in notifying my wife. I printed my name and address on a small square of paper, and "laminated" it with packing tape. That sits in the little plastic change purse type thingie in my jersey pocket that has money in it. Total cost: 4 cents.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Medical conditions aside, I figure the greatest danger is the hospital would not treat me as quickly without knowing I have insurance. That is why I always carry my insurance card on my bike.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast