Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Everybody must get stoned...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 09:53 AM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

...but must it be kidney stones? Came down with what I thought was back pain the night of July 4th (I had taken the kayak out for the first time this year for some easy flat water paddling at the local park and worked muscles that hadn't been used in awhile). Long story short: the pains came back with increasing intensity after a couple days pain free (and a nice 25 mile MUP/road ride that Sunday) and I ended up in the ER Saturday, being admitted, pumped with Dilaudid and Toridol, and getting a scope and stent procedure Monday. Stone was too high in the "plumbing" to reach so I'm having another procedure next Monday to finally deal with it.

So that'll keep me from any real riding for at least all this week and next...if only because I have to pee every half hour! Damn, and I was getting in good shape - having posted about my fastest ride just a couple of weeks ago. Watched the Tour this AM to get in some vicarious biking. I'm going to bike to a nearby place for lunch now...maybe a 2.5 mile round trip. Whoop de do.

As the Brits say, bloody hell!!

Last edited by bcoppola; 07-15-09 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-15-09, 10:06 AM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, it's a pain (a very real pain!) Been through the "stones" experience 3 times. Can't say anything good about any of the experiences. Just remember, this too shall pass.
Old 07-15-09, 10:35 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Ouch. Good luck.
Old 07-15-09, 10:47 AM
the dream shall never die

Bikes: Cannondale RT3000 Tandem Cannondale R900 CAAD 8 Campy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Speedy Recovery!

I hope that all goes well. Based on my experience, the "high" of passing the stones cannot be bettered! Once they're gone you should be quickly back at all the activities that you enjoy and the pain just a memory!

Regards,
Geary
Old 07-15-09, 11:43 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My wife had stones and had them "Shattered" by Ultrasound. That was a couple of years ago and no recurrence of the problem----Yet.

If Ultra sound is an option that is offered- my wife has offered some advice- Don't do it without anaesthetic. She had one treatment without it and she said it was worse than the stone pain.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-15-09, 11:46 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Never had 'em, don't want 'em! Can they be prevented, or is it just genetic and there's nothing you can do?

Rick / OCRR
Old 07-15-09, 12:26 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Try and find an essay by michael perry titled "Rock Slide' you'll like it.
Old 07-15-09, 12:41 PM
steel lover

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Miyata 710, Fuji Espree Fixie convert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50+?
I had them last year at 25yrs old. NO fun.
A neighbor showed me some herbal tea that is supposed to break up stones. She and her husband SWORE by it. Can't remember the official name, but it translated to "Break stone".... can't hurt. I drank that stuff like there was no tomorrow when I was bed ridden with painkillers. Seemed to work.
Old 07-15-09, 12:44 PM
steel lover

Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Miyata 710, Fuji Espree Fixie convert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, some say genetic, some say diet, some say <un>luck of the draw.
I found no substantial reasoning or evidence for any one route. Just that if you have them, you are likely to have them again. yippee.
Old 07-15-09, 05:40 PM
Slow Moving Vehicle

Bikes: Felt F-70, Terry Madeleine, Novara Safari fully customized by me

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dehydration is a major cause. Some types are associated with some metabolic defects that are hereditary. I've had one as an adult, and now realize that I probably had them as a kid as well. They are no fun. At least when you have a baby you have something to show for it.
Old 07-15-09, 06:41 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Picked a Lady off the FLoor

HI,
I used to be a paramedic in the Navy we had a call to the exchange they said some lady was having a heartattack and was passed out on the floor,
We picked her up and Her heart seemed normal on the portable EKG so we hauled her back to the Hospital they found blood in her urine it seems she was passing a stone, she said she had no symptoms prior it just happened suddenly it was more painful than childbirth to her and all she remembered was a stabbing pain before she hit the floor.
Don't want it thanks anyway. many people have them because their chemistry or PH is off if your to alkaline you can have phosphate stones and the there's the acid ones its metabolic in nature.
Some DR's say drink plenty of fluid and avoid certian foods don't remember the details but its based or your metabolism and your ability to excrete safely the offending element in solution so dilution may help prevent formation..
Old 07-15-09, 11:09 PM
Der Jàn

Bikes: '11 Jamis Zenith; Jamis Eclipse; Jamis Dakota

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the dehydration. I have had kidney stones twice - and both times were during extended periods of hard workouts and weight loss, so I know that my hydration was not nearly what it should have been.

Per the Doc - DRINK WATER, and plenty of it, so that your system stays cleaned out. So far so good for me the last 3 years.