Thread: Hasty Century?

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hasty Century?

I just found out that there's an organized century ride a few hours away in just two days.

http://www.fallrivercentury.com

I normally do two 40 - 60 miles rides per week. Last week I did a 58 mile ride in which I was pretty fresh when I finished, and a 51 mile ride with a killer headwind, in which I was pretty beat when I got back.

Should I do the metric century or the full 100 miles??

The other problem is that our typical high temperature here is 60 degrees. The forecast high for Saturday at the ride is 107 degrees. That may put the kibosh on the whole thing.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    LeMond - Gunnar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The forecast high for Saturday at the ride is 107 degrees. That may put the kibosh on the whole thing.
    Yeah, I think maybe you should wait for a Century with better conditions.

On the other hand - you could go ahead and try a "metric." Just to see how well you can cope with the heat.

My Bikes
    Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I have to ask...are you a trombone player? I have a 1970's King 2B and a 1960's Conn 88H. Don't play professionally at all, but several community bands and a bunch of duet work with a buddy. Which horn I play depends on the band or musical style. Both play beautifully. Scratch that. They blow easily. The beautiful part would best be left for someone else's lips!

Do the full Century!
    Dan in SW Iowa...
    life is lethal; none of us gets out alive!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to do an organized ride, ride the metric. 107º temps are nothing to experiment with on a century. I've done two centuries in 100º+ temps and they were both the worst rides of my life. I too live and ride in mostly cool conditions yearround so the high temps really kill me.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    If you want to do an organized ride, ride the metric. 107º temps are nothing to experiment with on a century. I've done two centuries in 100º+ temps and they were both the worst rides of my life. I too live and ride in mostly cool conditions yearround so the high temps really kill me.
    +1 If you do not have a track record riding in high temps, ride the 60 and get an early start. Drink a lot and get enough salt intake. When it starts to get hot, back off on the power. Get a good warmup before increasing the pace. Overcooking the beginning of the ride, will cost you later when the temps start to rise and you hit the hills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do the metric and have fun. Don't try to see how fast you can ride.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just about last thing on my list of things to do when it's over 100° is ride a century.

I've ridden metrics in the 90s, (not organized rides, though) and still enjoyed myself.

I prefer to enjoy my rides, and that sounds like a sufferfest. Personally, I'd skip it entirely.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that you are not used to riding centuries and that you are not used to riding in high temperatures, I would pass on riding a century in high temperatures.
    100+ miles with 100+ temps and 85+ humidity can be done and somewhat enjoyed, but you have to be acclimated for it to work.

Enjoy your metric.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tend to agree with others here in that if you normally ride in the 60's and it is going to be 100+ , 40 degrees hotter, than better not push yourself.
    Drink lots of fluids and pace yourself and see how it goes on the metric.

too old for bike shorts? cyclehen's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you usually ride in the 60s, and are not acclimatized for the heat, I'd pass on it.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you good at finding shade? For me, 100 degree temps are right on the border of ride/no ride. With low humility, I just push water and lytes, seek shade early and often, and enjoy the ride. High humidity, I take it easy and am only good for a couple hours.

If I were riding the Fall River, I'd take a couple tubes of Nuun tabs, hit the shade often, and be ready to stop at any distance.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not ridden this ride, but have talked to several who have. It's beautiful and not too difficult. But the 107 would be a killer. Do 60 and take your time. Take an old sock to fill with ice to put around your neck.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

'47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't ridden a century in many years, but given the conditions, wouldn't it be better to make your first one something you planned and prepared for. It's still only mid-July.....why not prepare for one in late summer, early fall-- and enjoy it rather than simply become toast. You can do metrics whenever you wish until they become a regular weekend ride.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done several metrics this year so far and have been riding in the high 80's recently. For those reasons- I would go for the full 100- but I may struggle.

Such a ride at short notice should only be attempted if you are fit enough and have trained enough.

I would agree that the metric should be your choice for now- but as 47 mentioned- Look around now for the 100 miler and use this as your first training ride for it.

And whatever ride you do- start drinking now. Get a surplus of water in the body and drink well on the ride. A metric should not need a great deal of food but take some energy gels with you and take some water with them. That is besides the extra water you will drink on the ride- And have I mentioned about drinking lots on the ride.

And pics will be needed.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode the Davis Double Century on May 16th, '09 and it was 102 deg.F climbing Cobb Mountain and 107 climbing Resurrection, so yes, you can survive the century. Drink far more than you think you need, take E-Caps, use sunscreen and maintain a very moderate pace during the worst heat of the day.

Also, on Davis, the sponsoring club was handing out Ice Socks at each checkpoint. Essentially a long "tube sock" filled with ice and tied at the end so the ice can't fall out. Drape the Ice Sock around your neck and you're good to go even for several hours at 100+.

Not sure how available ice will be on your route, but with temps like that predicted, the club or ride organizers should plan to make plenty of ice available. Also, use a Camelback or similar since it will be easy to fill with ice, then fill in the spaces between the ice cubes/bits with water, Gatorade or whatever they're giving away at the checkpoints.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have suggested, do the metric and be smart about your hydration.

Most of our summer rides are in high 90s to triple digits (109* at 6 pm last year on a club ride). It's a rude, unpleasant awakening to jump 40* and extend yourself for a long ride, and it will sap you faster than you think.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy the ride! Life's too short to suffer on the bike.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been riding some pretty fair distances lately but, like you, am not at all accustomed to riding in those temperatures, given that here in Seattle we think of 80 degrees as a "hot" day.

I'd either skip entirely or get an early start at the metric.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend the metric this time, that is too big a temperature swing. You would make the century but you will pay for it if you do.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    107 when 60 is normal? skip it and do it another day. you can do it - you have the experience etc. I would suggest not riding a few days before hand though just to rest up the ole muscles.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rumrunn6 View Post
    107 when 60 is normal? skip it and do it another day. you can do it - you have the experience etc. I would suggest not riding a few days before hand though just to rest up the ole muscles.
    The ride was on the 18th. Maybe he'll come back and tell us what he did.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too wonder how he did.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops, sorry I didn't give an update. It was just too far to drive to, and too much heat differential, so I decided to skip it altogether. I think I'll do this metric century coming up. I'd do the century, but I don't think I could handle the climbs.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Oops, sorry I didn't give an update. It was just too far to drive to, and too much heat differential, so I decided to skip it altogether. I think I'll do this metric century coming up. I'd do the century, but I don't think I could handle the climbs.
    Sounds like you made the smart choice.

That metric looks like fun. So does the century. So many rides, so little time.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Don't you do some climbing up there in your rides? 4600' isn't a huge amount for a century, but if you aren't used to it, it might seem hard.