Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does it happen?

When I got back into cycling a year ago all I wanted was a comfortable bike I could ride around town and get some exercise. I didnít need a MTB or a Road bike because I knew it would take years before I was in shape.

Within two months I had a MTB and a comfort bike. But I didnít see any reason to get a road bike because I could ride my MTB and comfort bike on the road.

Turns out some of my new friends had road bikes so within another month I decided I wanted a road bike. Next thing I know one is on sale and now I had a comfort bike, two MTBs and a road bike. At least, I said to myself, I had all the bikes I needed. I read with interest some of the posts in these forums about people building a bike from the frame up and said I could see no reason to do that when complete bikes were available for the same or less money without the work. Besides my road bike was working just fine thank you very much. But a strange thing happened; I started getting a box full of bike parts, cranks, wheels, brakes, saddles. I didnít need another bike because I was only a B group rider and a better bike wasnít going to help me much anyway.

Then about a week ago a good friend decided he just had to have a Specialized Tarmac S works and he had a frame he was willing to let go for a price I couldnít refuse. The end result is my first frame up build. I have it up and running but I am waiting for my Ultegra shifters and Dura Ace Derailleur to come in. When they do I will add the carbon bars I found in my parts box as well. Is there something in the water bottles we use that causes things like this to happen?

Thumbnails are the result.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding is the only remedy I've found.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's "The Fever", on of the symptoms of which is n+1. In some of us, it manifests itself in odd jerseys, some like vintage bikes and can't pass up a 1980s shifters-on-the-downtube steel Rivenpeugwinn Le Ventoux. Still others think it's fun to look for 18% grades to climb on the big ring. There is no cure. You have crossed over to the dark side. Welcome, my son.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Robert,

I don't think it's anything in the water bottles. Probably starts with something in your DNA, then when you start riding bikes it only makes it worse (well, I mean, better!).

My case is pretty typical, seven bikes, just added a DaHon folder, now looking (while not looking, really) for a cyclo-cross bike. The first step, as I understand it, is admitting to yourself that you have a problem (N+1 . . .).

The second step is to honestly recognize that this is not a "problem" for you, and in fact it leads to more exercise and an overall healthy lifestyle. This leads you to not really care about step one any more, giving you extra time to go for a ride.

That's how I see it.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you still ride your recumbent?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I were you- I would take up gardening. There is that space not too far from the house that needs clearing and I should say it is a bit bigger than 14ft x 20ft- Just big enough to leave clearance for maintenance. And at the rate you are going on I would build it quick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Do you still ride your recumbent?
    No I will admit I donít. I figured the bent was the cause of the infection. A good friend of mine was trying to get his wife to cycle with him but she simply could not ride with any pressure on her wrists. She had tried MTB and Hybrids and a comfort bike and was about to give up. The friend asked if he could burrow my Revive LX and I figured I was only riding it maybe once every two weeks so I let him have t it for a week. He called back about the time he was supposed to return the bike and said his wife loved it but they couldnít afford a new one. So I sold it to him and she has been riding it ever since. I took one look at her face as she was riding it and couldnít help myself.

What I canít believe is how much of a difference riding the Lapierre is. First ride on it was 40 miles and it was very smooth. I understand Carbon bars will soak up even more road vibration. I feel like I have gone from a sedan to a sports car.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    If I were you- I would take up gardening. There is that space not too far from the house that needs clearing and I should say it is a bit bigger than 14ft x 20ft- Just big enough to leave clearance for maintenance. And at the rate you are going on I would build it quick.
    I had zero parts last July but I decided I should have a parts box for cleaning supplies and extra bike parts. It was bad enough when I had the parts box in the house. Cranks, pedals, stems, brakes, and other parts just seem to appear in the box as if by magic. I put up a shed and moved the parts out there. Now there are Wheels, tires, a frame or two plus the parts that find their way into my parts box. And yesterday I discovered some speed play pedals and cleats in the back of my truck. I wonder if there is a pair of road shoes in my future. No canít be because I am perfectly happy with my MTB shoes and people who wear road shoes walk funny. Even if the speed play pedals sure look cool.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see where you have described anything unusual going on. What are you asking about? It all seems perfectly normal to me.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I don't see where you have described anything unusual going on. What are you asking about? It all seems perfectly normal to me.
    Well I somehow knew I was speaking to kindred souls. I have several friends that build their own bikes and they were a great help. I just could never see myself getting this involved. But I have gotten to the point where I hate to miss a chance to ride and this bike is going to make it even harder not to find an excuse to ride.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could find "extra parts" in my truck or in a box in the basement. My wife seems to find my "extra parts" when the UPS man rings the doorbell. I just haven't been able to say to my wife, "honey, look at these carbon fiber handle bars and Speed Play pedals that I just found in a box under the basement stairs".

BTW, that's a nice bike Mr. Foster.
    Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 07-16-09 at 04:13 PM.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice build!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    I wish I could find "extra parts" in my truck or in a box in the basement. My wife seems to find my "extra parts" when the UPS man rings the doorbell. I just haven't been able to say to my wife, "honey, look at these carbon fiber handle bars and Speed Play pedals that I just found in a box under the basement stairs".

BTW, that's a nice bike Mr. Foster.
    Well I was thinking that if I left an old pair of tennis shoes in the shed the bake part gremlin would exchange some road shoes so I could mount the speed plays. However big things like the Lapierre frame was too big to fit in the parts box. My wife spotted the frame the same day it appeared.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88 View Post
    Nice build!
    Thanks. I have wanted a Lapierre for some time but I never thought I could afford one.

I had friends that knew what they were doing show me step by step how it should be done. The best part is how well this bike fits me.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sold my son's (never ridden) Jamis Quest road bike to a coworker (for his wife). She wanted modern low-count flat blade spoke wheels since the originals reminded her too much of her old junker. The result is I have a good 9 speed wheelset with Mavic rims and 105 hubs. Hmm, I have some drop bars, Campy caliphers, Look pedals, cartridge BB, 27.2 seatpost, FSA stem, DA bar end shifters, and a Persons saddle on hand. It won't be long before a frame is on sale. N+1 rules!
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page