Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How to do you find age related events

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hi,
is there a listing of age related events for us older bike riders, There were events that you could find for distance runners when I ran just not sure where to look for the over 60 bike events. beings I am 59 this year and hope to continue to see some improvment next year , If Iam not ROad Kill. hehe
Doug
Old 07-15-09, 08:34 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Who you calling Older?

Not aware of events for geezers sponsored by our local bike club (CIBA).
Lots of folk 50+ and older on the club rides. Alongside younger folks. Mixing it up.

Perhaps competitive cycling more commonly has age-differentiated events.
Are you looking for racing or just riding?
Old 07-16-09, 12:14 PM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're looking for races, I recommend:

1) Senior Games
They're held in various cities, and most states. They have the advantage of usually offering 5 year age brackets for competition.

2) USA Cycling
The official governing body for bike racing in the US. Check for local teams to join, and try to find out what region you're in. Most regions will have a website where all sanctioned races are listed.

The disadvantage is the local races don't always have categories for older racers. For instance, they might only offer Masters 35+, and not 45+ or 55+. And even when they do, the Masters categories can be very competitive, because some of those guys have been racing at semi-pro level for decades.

Your other alternative is to enter the open Cat 5 (beginner) category. But there, you'll be racing against guys from any age (though there were several races I entered this season where I would have placed better in Cat 5 than I did in Masters 55+).

Most district championship races offer 5 year brackets.

Alternatively, you can get into triathlon, which does a better job of supporting age group athletes (typically with 5 and 10 year brackets).
Old 07-16-09, 12:39 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Any event that handicaps the event for age will be a competition and scored either by time or place - hence some kind of race.

SSP covered the obvious races. If you are serious about competing then forget this "us older riders" nonsense and look around for some local time trials that are not sanctioned. Enter and race your road bike against the clock. This is the simplest and safest way to get into competition. Do not worry about age and simply compete. See if you like the competition and the training required to be competitive. There will be a few masters riding in these so you will have peers.

You can find out about these at bike shops. However, go to a pro bike shop that caters to racing. Fred shops will be clueless. I would post on the regional BF and ask about time trials.

If TTs work for you, then you can think about other competitive events. My experience is similar to SSPs. USA cycling sanctioned events are very advanced, tough and extremely competitive and not for "us older riders".
Old 07-19-09, 05:43 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Look for weekday morning rides.
Old 07-19-09, 06:49 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Look for weekday morning rides.
--