Thread: Jacket Question

My Bikes
    Breezer "Freedom"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jacket Question

I'm looking for recommendations on a good jacket I can wear in 40-50 degree am temps with a strong headwind. My legs don't get cold at all, but my core . . . And I'm allergic to wool. Any suggestions?

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Northface windstopper fleece jacket in colder temps in the 40s and a gortex windproof shell in the 50s
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannon View Post
    I'm looking for recommendations on a good jacket I can wear in 40-50 degree am temps with a strong headwind. My legs don't get cold at all, but my core . . . And I'm allergic to wool. Any suggestions?
    I have such a variety of jackets that I am spoilt for choice. No rain so no requirement for waterproof. Presume it has to be lightweight so it can be stowed when it does warm up and as for all cycling jackets it has to be made of breathable material to allow moisture to escape.

I have 3 that meet the bill. First a pertex. Completely windproof and breathes. Does not give any warmth but by keeping wind out the body soon warms up. Then I have a jacket new to me made by "Karrimor" It is waterproof-windproof and has arm vents and a long zip to keep me cool and it is supposed to be breathable.

Then there is the ultimate. The Assos Longsleeve jacket that is completely windproof- warm- showerproof and breathable and can be worn all day. Well it has to be as the amount you have spent on the thing- you have to show the other riders that you are serious about your riding. The other reason for keeping it on is that it is a bulky jacket that does not pack down small.

http://www.indiebike.com/Brands/Asso...ck-851-Jacket#
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rhiannon,
    My choice of jackets is probably a bit unusual. Mine are all just nylon windstoppers, one is a vest, and one is long sleeve. I sometimes wear them together if it is really cold and windy. Sometimes I wear a short sleeve jersey under the jackets, sometimes a long sleeved jersey, and sometimes I wear both a short sleeve jersey and a long sleeve jersey underneath the jackets. On cold mornings in the mountains I usually take off the jackets on the way uphill, then stop at the top and put the jackets back on. But then I am not riding for speed.
    In any event, these jackets give me a lot of choices for the particular conditions and they are inexpensive.
    Suntree, Fl.
    Burley Hudson (n+3)
    Scattante CFR (n+2)
    LeMond Buenos Aries (steel)(n+1)
    Trek 7500 (n)

crazyguyonabike.com/lighthorse

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a few years of resistance, I quickly became a fan of cycling-specific jackets when I finally bought one.

I like the gorilla-length arms, the long tail and the contouring around the neckline. Cycling jackets are generally breathable and water-resistant too. They also generally have vents you can open as necessary, which lets you wear them in warmer temps or under extreme exertion.

I have an Endura Gridlock jacket. I can wear it up to 55 or so. Below freezing, I use it as the outer layer.

Most other cycling-specific jackets are similar.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Then there is the ultimate. The Assos Longsleeve jacket that is completely windproof- warm- showerproof and breathable and can be worn all day. Well it has to be as the amount you have spent on the thing- you have to show the other riders that you are serious about your riding. The other reason for keeping it on is that it is a bulky jacket that does not pack down small.

http://www.indiebike.com/Brands/Asso...ck-851-Jacket#
    Wow, now that is a hefty price for a jacket, how long have you had it?
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    just on a year and last years model at a special price for a special customer from my LBS- paid about $150 and it is worth it.

But TSL has said it all. Cycling specific is made of the right material and fits.

I have a Goretex that is cycling specific but I did try on the Hiking versions and they were not comfortable on a bike. Same with a few other non cycling specific I have bought over the years- they just don't work.

Edit----Forget the Assos Sizing chart. Unless you are tall- VERY thin and have long arms.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    I like this one from Craft. Much cheaper and very nice.

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I each have Pearl Izumi Zephyrr jackets. Very light but do a good job of stopping wind and fit easily in a jersey pocket when it warms up. We also have wind vests (hers is Pearl Izumi and mine is the Performance knock off of PI) and they are nice when a jacket is too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my jacket from this outfit. Also have their touring shorts and other accessories.

www.bicycleclothing.com

Good stuff at reasonable prices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned above, Craft makes some really nice jackets for less money than most. They can be found on sale every so often which is even better. I would first wear a good base layer. Again Craft rules the roost with their pro zero layers. Get a long sleeved one and wear it under your jersey. You might find all you need in addition to that is a light wind jacket.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    After a few years of resistance, I quickly became a fan of cycling-specific jackets when I finally bought one.

I like the gorilla-length arms, the long tail and the contouring around the neckline. Cycling jackets are generally breathable and water-resistant too. They also generally have vents you can open as necessary, which lets you wear them in warmer temps or under extreme exertion.

I have an Endura Gridlock jacket. I can wear it up to 55 or so. Below freezing, I use it as the outer layer.

Most other cycling-specific jackets are similar.
    Once again - good gear find. I guess you have a lot of time in the library to find the best options. At this point I am not willing to commit to cycling specific gear for cool weather cycling. I am using ski gear that is close to end of life.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Gore Bike Ware jacket. It is quite windproof. I have worn it down to mid 30's with
    a coolmax longsleeve running shirt and did not have any problems...

Jerry

My Bikes
    Breezer "Freedom"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions. The choices out there are bewildering - it's nice to hear from people who like - or don't like - what they have.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Once again - good gear find. I guess you have a lot of time in the library to find the best options.
    Actually, it was on the sale rack at my LBS for 15% off. I already had (and love) their bib tights and booties. In the winter I look like EnduraMan!

And sadly, no, we don't have a lot of time for anything at the library. They just keep cutting staff…
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This link is just an example but me thinks this might be what you are looking for: a wind jacket with sleeves that zip off to make it into a vest. Gore has one $$$, Sugio, Canondale in a rain jacket version and Pearl also.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodSU_70770F.html

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For that temperature range I have a "wind shirt" that I bought for less than $20.00 at some event. It's a long sleeve t-shirt that has some kind of rubber-feeling fabric. The good news is it does an excellent job of blocking the wind and repelling light rain. I can also roll it up and stuff it in a jersey pocket. The bad news is I have to stop and take off my helmet to either don or doff it and it has no pockets.

If it gets a little colder I have a Craft jacket (model unknown) that's made from some miracle Gor-Tex like fabric and has a gazillion zippered vents.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nylon sleeveless vest +/- armwarmers as needed.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest trying a wind vest unless you need coverage on your arms. I use a Louis Garneau model that has rear pockets just like a jersey.