Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ring of Hades loop today with pics

As mentioned in the Did You Ride Today thread, Neal H and I rode a local loop called the Ring of Hades. It gets it's name from the 73 miles and over 7K' of climbing. To make it especially hellish, the road along Charlie's Creek is a series of very steep climbs which at mile 65 really burn up the legs. We're talking grades into the high teens! They hurt. The reason we did this ride today was to recon the Tour de Tuck century ride which happens in Sept. Our route covered all of the last 62 miles of the 105 on that ride and Neal wanted to get a look. The century in Sept has a true 11K' of climbing.

We started the ride at 8:30am in small Tuckaseigee, NC and rode through the college town of Cullowhee then through Sylva. From there we climbed up to the BRP and continued the climb to 6053'. It was then down back to the car at 2500', unfortunately there was still plenty of steep work along Charlie's Creek to do along the way. It was a perfect day for a ride. Temps started in the mid 50s and stayed in the low 60s throughout until we climbed high enough on the mountain to once again find the low 50s. Perfect temps for a light base layer and ss jersey.

Last edited by BikeWNC; 07-18-09 at 04:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic pictures, the bike looks great too. How do you like those Dura Ace wheels?
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Fantastic pictures, the bike looks great too. How do you like those Dura Ace wheels?
    That is Neal actually on his Tarmac Sworks SL2. I rode my Roubaix Sworks SL2. We both have the DA 24CL wheels and both love them. We talked about them on the ride and believe they are the best all around clincher out there. The do get changed for the new season with tubeless compatibility. The weight should stay the same though at around 1380g. The wheels have a very comfortable ride and are plenty stiff for the riding we do. They climb well too!

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent pictures, it was a great day and a really good route. Some of the roads were about as ideal for cycling as any I've been on - good pavement, unspoiled scenery, and plenty of climbing and descending - and low traffic to boot!

I took a few pictures but, will have to post them after I get back to Raleigh since I forgot the download connector cable.

Hard to believe but, we were trying to avoid the shade on our climbs. We wanted to be in the sun. That may sound a bit unusual being the middle of July in NC but, that's how cool it was up this way today.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    That is Neal actually on his Tarmac Sworks SL2. I rode my Roubaix Sworks SL2. We both have the DA 24CL wheels and both love them. We talked about them on the ride and believe they are the best all around clincher out there. The do get changed for the new season with tubeless compatibility. The weight should stay the same though at around 1380g. The wheels have a very comfortable ride and are plenty stiff for the riding we do. They climb well too!
    Good for 200# me?
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Good for 200# me?
    I've been on them at 187# this winter and they held up fine. I'm lighter than that now. So, IDK how they would do at 200#, I guess it depends on the type riding you do and how much power you put out. Any wheel will need a truing touch up after the first few weeks on riding. I had to true and retension the rear wheel twice in the first month but haven't touched them since. I probably have well over 2000 miles on them I would guess, probably more. I know I have 750 miles on them in the last 6 weeks since that is what I have on my new bike.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    I've been on them at 187# this winter and they held up fine. I'm lighter than that now. So, IDK how they would do at 200#, I guess it depends on the type riding you do and how much power you put out. Any wheel will need a truing touch up after the first few weeks on riding. I had to true and retension the rear wheel twice in the first month but haven't touched them since. I probably have well over 2000 miles on them I would guess, probably more. I know I have 750 miles on them in the last 6 weeks since that is what I have on my new bike.
    Thanks for information. I'll have to check out some prices.
    George

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think 200# is any problem for these wheels. There are a lot of 200# cyclists on the roads and, given Shimano's reputation I don't think they would sell a wheel on the open market that is limited to rider weights of < 200#. If you have doubts though, then call them (Shimano US). They will answer the phone and their customer service people are helpful.

The wheels are really good. I have the newer Topolinos, Bontrager Race-XXX-Lites, Fusee SL's(Specialized's top offering), and Mavic CXP-33s on DT hubs. The Shimanos are my favorites. They reek of quality, both in construction and performance.