Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

CrossCountry50

Riding Cross Country at 50

Although not yet quite 50 (will be in September). I am riding across the country the year of my 50th birthday to honor my brother who died of cancer in 2002.

When I spoke to the tour group I am likely going to go with, the gentleman told me that many people that have participated in his tours do so to celebrate their 50th birthday. Thought that was kind of interesting.

I have a great supporter in my 10 year old son

My Bikes
    '03 Trek 7500, '08 Madone 4.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like fun and a good motivator, too. Good luck and have fun!

CrossCountry50
    Thanks!
    The more I read the more anxious I am for the ride. At this point I am likely going with a tour group but I continue to read more and more about people making the cross country trek alone. The costs for a supported group ride are high but the experience of the group, safety and the company seems like it may be worth it.
    Any suggestions or recommendations?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 of us did it in 1990. We started in Florence, Oregon and rode to the east coast via the Southern route in the Bikecentennial maps, (now called Adventure Cycling). I was 36 and the oldest guy was 52.
    We stayed in motels and sometimes in people's homes. It was a trip I'll never forget and I wish I could repeat it, except for the route. I would avoid the deep south next time. I'd also like to avoid the giardia which caused me to quit a little early.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CGOAB has lots of journal of people 50 and older who haqve done tours all over ,both fully supported and self supported,solo and in groups.A lot of enjoyable reading to be had.