Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm going away for a while...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 08:48 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm leaving tonight to PA for a 5 day riding trip across Northern PA on RT 6. It's the first time that I'll be doing a multi-day ride. I'll be riding with two brother-in-laws who are both roadies. Our wives will be riding sag and visiting local attractions, antique stores, general stores and any other roadside attractions to keep their interest up while we put in 65 to 80 miles a day. We are booked in B&B's along the way and will ride from the Western PA line East to Wilksbarre, then leave RT 6 and ride back to Williamsport to the Mother-in-law's home. I did some research to find some attractions for the ladies but they don't seem interested in the PA Lumber Mesuem, Zippo Lighter Museum, tours of the Straub's Brewery or the two courthouse statues which don't have Lady Justice wearing blindfolds over her eyes (I guess in small town PA they like to know who is on trail). We plan to eat breakfast at the B&B's then ride until noon where we will meet up with the ladies for lunch then finish up riding in the early afternoon followed by food and drink in some local establishment.

I've worked out my race training plan with my coach so that on two of the days I'll be doing specific intervals, pushing up the big hills in a high HR for 10 to 12 minutes, and on one day I'll be working on sprinting efforts. I have packed my camera and will take some pictures and possibly post during the ride if the B&B's have internet. I do promise to take the obligatory pictures of pie.
Old 07-23-09, 09:07 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
That sounds like a lot of fun (except the training part ). Have fun.
Old 07-23-09, 09:54 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
That sounds like a lot of fun (except the training part ). Have fun.
+1....training

Have fun and be safe!
Old 07-23-09, 10:17 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Have a great time. I like the concept of working in some intervals on specific sections of the route - very intelligent.
Old 07-23-09, 10:18 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've invested a lot of time training for races this year and still have several "A" races left. To me any sacrifices made for training and racing were well worth the effort. I think think the trip will energize me to complete the season once I'm back. Yesterday evening I was supposed to do two sets of 4 x 1 mile intervals. It was raining and I quit the workout after the first set, then just rode with a training buddy, and did some "town line sprints". Come fall I'll be back at the club and group rides which I choose to miss in order focus on race training. Then, when I'm riding "fast" I'll once again appreciate any work done the past year.
Old 07-23-09, 10:25 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No real big mountains in PA but some very steep climbs. Should keep you challenged.
I think Rt 6 follows mostly a valley but as I recall there are some interesting spots along the way. PA has some surprisingly ruggid terrain.
Old 07-23-09, 10:52 AM

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
HA ha Jet this place will probably fold with both of us gone.; Im off with the riseing sun /for Canada Ill ride the bike some but the GRAND LAKE STREAM FOLK ARTS festival on Saturday THE Canadians are haveing one the next week I may stay for that./Kenneth
Old 07-23-09, 11:07 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenkayak
HA ha Jet this place will probably fold with both of us gone.; Im off with the riseing sun /for Canada Ill ride the bike some but the GRAND LAKE STREAM FOLK ARTS festival on Saturday THE Canadians are haveing one the next week I may stay for that./Kenneth

I hope your vacation goes well, enjoy your time in Canada.
Old 07-23-09, 11:13 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
No real big mountains in PA but some very steep climbs. Should keep you challenged.
I think Rt 6 follows mostly a valley but as I recall there are some interesting spots along the way. PA has some surprisingly ruggid terrain.
Compared to where I live outside of Cleveland OH the 1,200 foot ridges around Williamsport have been my only mountains to climb. Our trip will take us past the PA Grand Canyon area. We will be visiting the San Francisco area in Oct and I hope to spend one day on a rented bike riding up some big climb while my wife is distracted by a daylong shopping or luxury treatment.
Old 07-23-09, 11:15 AM

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
THANKS I hope the weather is good for your raceing/Kenneth
Old 07-23-09, 11:43 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
This part sounds great!

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
I'm leaving tonight to PA for a 5 day riding trip across Northern PA.... Our wives will be riding sag... We are booked in B&B's along the way.... tours of the Straub's Brewery... We plan to eat breakfast at the B&B's then ride until noon where we will meet up with the ladies for lunch then finish up riding in the early afternoon followed by food and drink in some local establishment.... I have packed my camera....I do promise to take the obligatory pictures of pie.
This part sounds like work....

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet;9336
I've worked out my race training plan with my coach so that on two of the days I'll be doing specific intervals,
I think you should make your coach do the intervals, while you find a second brewery to tour...
Old 07-23-09, 12:34 PM
Version 7.0

Compared to where I live outside of Cleveland OH the 1,200 foot ridges around Williamsport have been my only mountains to climb. Our trip will take us past the PA Grand Canyon area. We will be visiting the San Francisco area in Oct and I hope to spend one day on a rented bike riding up some big climb while my wife is distracted by a daylong shopping or luxury treatment.
PM me when you are planning to come. We may be able to save you from the rental bike with the bag on the front and offer some suffering on one of the more memorable climbs. With a bit of luck, you may be here when we are running the Low Key Hill Climb Races and participate. They typically start in October with a different hill climb race each Saturday and culminate with the Thanksgiving morning race up Mount Hamilton.
Old 07-23-09, 12:55 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
PM me when you are planning to come. We may be able to save you from the rental bike with the bag on the front and offer some suffering on one of the more memorable climbs. With a bit of luck, you may be here when we are running the Low Key Hill Climb Races and participate. They typically start in October with a different hill climb race each Saturday and culminate with the Thanksgiving morning race up Mount Hamilton.
Will do once we are closer to the trip. We will be in the area Oct 22 thru Oct 28 which includes a Saturday. We don't have plans yet on exactly what we will be doing in the SF area. I think we will both make list of must do, want to do, would be nice to do, things our friends say to do, and even that's way to expensive to do's, then take turns picking out our "to do's". Air fare was on sale for 48 hours several weeks ago so we picked a place to go and purchased RT tickets on the cheap.

My wife just retired from 31 yrs of teaching and I recently retired, then went back to work in the same job 3 days/week. We are new at this retirement thing and know that we are supposed to travel, have lots' of fun and spend the money before our kids get it.
Old 07-23-09, 01:31 PM
Keeper of the Castle

Bikes: 2009 CAAD9-5, 2009 Kona Dew Plus, Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well from one NE Ohioan to another ( a bit NE of Brunswick) I think you will enjoy the ride. I am very familiar with the western portion of RT 6 thru PA and think you will have a great time. An acquaintance of mine did Rt. 6 thru PA a few years back and enjoyed it. Just watch out for the locals in their fast moving "pick-em-up" trucks!
Old 07-23-09, 01:49 PM
Version 7.0

Will do once we are closer to the trip. We will be in the area Oct 22 thru Oct 28 which includes a Saturday. We don't have plans yet on exactly what we will be doing in the SF area. I think we will both make list of must do, want to do, would be nice to do, things our friends say to do, and even that's way to expensive to do's, then take turns picking out our "to do's". Air fare was on sale for 48 hours several weeks ago so we picked a place to go and purchased RT tickets on the cheap.

My wife just retired from 31 yrs of teaching and I recently retired, then went back to work in the same job 3 days/week. We are new at this retirement thing and know that we are supposed to travel, have lots' of fun and spend the money before our kids get it.
The "to do" prep, screening and prioritization sounds complicated. One thing for sure is that there is a lot to do in the bay area.