Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50+ Riders on Angeles Crest, July 18. 2009

Our good friend, the Very Famous Veritcal Bob called for a great ride Angeles Crest (CA Hwy 2) starting from either the Red Box parking lot (at the base of Mt. Wilson), or Charlton Flats; about 50 min. (by bike) up the mountain. Sarah, big john, V.Bob, Daniel and myself started from Red Box, Lee (scvroading on the forum), Kathy (valleygirl on the forum), Michelle, Alan and Kay started from Charlton Flats.

The whole ride was 80 miles from Red Box to Grassy Hollow and back, for 8,800 feet of climbing. Not a terribly difficult ride, but on July 18 it was unreasonably hot up there! We were at almost 8,000 feet at Dawson Saddle, and while no one had a thermometer, I'm guessing it was mid 90's at the least.

I went through two large bottles and a 70 oz. Camelback in 40 miles, just to give you an idea. Okay, it didn't happen unless there are photos, so here you go:

First, our Leader, Vertical Bob (60+)

Here's a photo of 50+ forum poster big john at Dawson Saddle; what a happy guy!

Here's another Dawson Saddle shot, left to right Sarah (young!), big john (50+), Michelle (very young) and Kathy (valleygirl on bikeforums) 50+

Here's most of our group descending (at speed!) out of Grassy Hollow.

Michelle right before entering The Tunnels (it was cool in there!).

The long climb up to The Tunnels on the way back (backs of big john and Kathy).

Sorry, no photos of Lee, and my one photo of Alan didn't turn out.

Finally, a photo of Angeles Crest Newbee, Michelle, suffering up the climb to Dawsons on the way back, but still drinking, climbing and smiling. She's like 20+ . . .

If you're visiting SoCal, just take the Hwy 2 North exit off either the 5 or the 210 freeway, to CA Hwy 2, La Canada - Flintridge. It's a lovely area, whether you're riding or driving, but I prefer to ride.

Rick / OCRR
    Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 07-19-09 at 03:51 PM.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics, looks like a great ride. Some day, I hope to be able to do that --- just as soon as I can afford to retire so I can ride longer and more often.

We rode with some of our group to Huntington Beach along the SART. It was clear, cooler, and beautiful at the beach.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hats off to all who make this ride!!! I drove a rent-car up to Mt. Wilson when visiting California a month ago. Saw only a few riders and all were struggling (and to my eyes, skinnny!).

I don't think I could make it if I had all day! How the guys in the Tour of California RACE over it, is amazing.

Thanks for the pics. You all look relaxed.

Tyson B
    Flatlander in Oklahoma

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only been on Angeles Crest once; in my youth. But I did it right. I threw the old Peugeot U08 into the back of the VW Van and drove up. Then I pulled the bike out of the back and rode downhill to La Canada. Woo Hoo! My girlfriend driving the van was way behind me and the only car that kept up or passed me was a Porsche.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Nice pics, looks like a great ride. Some day, I hope to be able to do that --- just as soon as I can afford to retire so I can ride longer and more often.
    No Yen,

You don't have to retire to ride AC. Vertical Bob is 60+, works construction and has plenty of power left to climb. Big John's not retired and I'm sure not; don't think Valleygirl is retired but I don't know for sure.

Just ride up AC a little ways and when it gets to be too much, just coast back down. Keep trying and each time you'll get a little further. The same technique will work on GMR/GRR too, if that's closer for you.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics, thanks for sharing.

I used to ride Mulholland in the Santa Monicas (much easier, I think).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love riding up there and it's usually an escape from the heat, but it got pretty hot toward the end this time.
    We always regroup on the climbs so nobody gets lost and we watch out for each other up there. It's not like riding in the city. We did have one lady turn back by herself this trip. We were worried about her for a while but she got some water from some boy scouts and Alan eventually caught up to her. She also dropped her Blackberry into a roadside pit toilet. eewww!

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the report and pics.

I had the privilege of meeting and riding with Cathy a couple weeks ago when she was up in NorCal on business. We didn't ride anything as challenging as this, however. Looks like fun.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice report! I'd love to ride up there sometime.

If you want to try joining in Yen (when the weather cools down a bit ) I'm game. We can hold each others hand...

I spent the weekend riding with the fixie kids on the SGRT. Hot as an oven.
    Last edited by alicestrong; 07-20-09 at 10:49 AM.
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Thanks for the report and pics.

I had the privilege of meeting and riding with Cathy a couple weeks ago when she was up in NorCal on business. We didn't ride anything as challenging as this, however. Looks like fun.
    Yes Red,

Cathy said your club has very precise pacelines, but also rides an extremely fast pace (at least for her). She said she had trouble keeping up on the first rides, but later was able to do it.

She also really likes the roads/areas around Vacaville, so I encouraged her to try the Knoxville Double too!

Rick / OCRR

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    No Yen,

You don't have to retire to ride AC. Vertical Bob is 60+, works construction and has plenty of power left to climb. Big John's not retired and I'm sure not; don't think Valleygirl is retired but I don't know for sure.

Just ride up AC a little ways and when it gets to be too much, just coast back down. Keep trying and each time you'll get a little further. The same technique will work on GMR/GRR too, if that's closer for you.

Rick / OCRR
    Rick, I've considered doing that on Mt. Baldy. It's riding distance from home (well, so is La Canada, but a lot further). Just ride until I can't take it anymore, then turn around. I might be able to spin up that mountain on the Surly (very low gearing). The main thing I don't have is time. I leave for work at 5:30 a.m. and get home after 5:00 p.m. There's only time for a short ride when the hurry-up-to-get-home traffic is at its peak and drivers eyes/brains/minds are very tired, and it's HOT. In winter, only night riding and I'm not going up Mt. Baldy alone at night. There's a way and I'll figure it out -- just not sure what it is yet.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
    Nice report! I'd love to ride up there sometime.

If you want to try joining in Yen (when the weather cools down a bit ) I'm game. We can hold each others hand...

I spent the weekend riding with the fixie kids on the SGRT. Hot as an oven.
    Alice, I'd love to! Maybe (when it's cooler) we can ride with you on the SGRT. Do you ever ride the SART?
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Alice, I'd love to! Maybe (when it's cooler) we can ride with you on the SGRT. Do you ever ride the SART?
    Hey Yen and Alice,

How 'bout a 50+ bikeforums.net ride on the SART? We could even invite the Beanzer, even tho' he's still a young'un.

Yeah, I know, my 50+ ride was a total flop, so I'm sure you'd have lots better luck! I'll ride my fixed gear if Alice will ride her fixed gear!

Rick / OCRR

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Yen and Alice,

How 'bout a 50+ bikeforums.net ride on the SART? We could even invite the Beanzer, even tho' he's still a young'un.

Yeah, I know, my 50+ ride was a total flop, so I'm sure you'd have lots better luck! I'll ride my fixed gear if Alice will ride her fixed gear!

Rick / OCRR
    I'm game! Alice, how 'bout it? We could ride the entire SART to the beach, with an optional meeting place somewhere in the middle (near Angels Stadium?) to join up with riders who don't want to ride the longer distance.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally ride the SGRT, 'cause let's face it-I'm lazy and it's only a mile from my home.

The SART on the other hand, is difficult to get to...

Maybe I have not figured out an easy way to reach it yet.
    May you live long, live strong, and live happy!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pics and what looks like to be a fun/tough ride. thanks.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alicestrong View Post
    I generally ride the SGRT, 'cause let's face it-I'm lazy and it's only a mile from my home. The SART on the other hand, is difficult to get to... Maybe I have not figured out an easy way to reach it yet.
    Hi Alice and Yen,

I'm good to go for either the SART or the SGRT. The SGRT I can get to from home via the Coyote Creek MUP, but I wouldn't mind driving to the SART. Lots of parking at Yorba Linda Regional Park . . . just sayin'.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick, great write-up as usual. I think after reading this I've done the ride.
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanteB View Post
    Rick, great write-up as usual. I think after reading this I've done the ride.
    Yes Dante,

You probably have done this ride; it's a very popular one around here. Vertical Bob knows every inch of it like the proverbial back of his hand. I hope I'm still climbing mountains like this when I get to be V.Bob's age!

Are you riding the Mt.Tam double?

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Lynskey R230, S-Works Epic, Bianchi Speciale, Tricross Expert
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great pictures of what looks like a great ride. My last ride in CA was Banning to Idlewylde (sp?) then to Palm Desert. That was a grind but it was also 10 years ago. I don't know how it would go today. Good riding all. I am envious of you CA folks!

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole ride was 80 miles from Red Box to Grassy Hollow and back, for 8,800 feet of climbing. Not a terribly difficult ride. . .
    Seem to me the second sentence above must include a typo.

Other than that, thanks for the pictures and report.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope I'm still climbing mountains like this when I get to be V.Bob's age!

Rick / OCRR
    I think he has 2 1/2 years on you, if that.

Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    Seem to me the second sentence above must include a typo.
    RIck is a double century addict, so this was only 1/2 a ride to him. Plus, he tends to downplay the difficulty of rides, alway insisting that everyone can do doubles, etc. This ride isn't very tough for him, plus we do it at a casual pace and wait for stragglers at every summit. In reality it is a hard ride for most mortals, especially clydes like me.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    I think he has 2 1/2 years on you, if that.

Okay, well, even so . . . I hope I can ride like Vertical Bob in 2-1/2 years then!

RIck is a double century addict, so this was only 1/2 a ride to him. Plus, he tends to downplay the difficulty of rides, alway insisting that everyone can do doubles, etc. This ride isn't very tough for him, plus we do it at a casual pace and wait for stragglers at every summit. In reality it is a hard ride for most mortals, especially clydes like me.
    Okay, guilty as charged. But you're right John, we re-grouped often, took long breaks at Dawsons, Grassy Hollow and Newcombs, and (major point here), there was nothing really steep on this ride. Maybe some 7% tops. And everyone (pretty much) can do doubles . . .

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Waterford 2200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Dante,

Are you riding the Mt.Tam double?

Rick / OCRR
    That's what the plan is as of now.
    Make mine a double!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DanteB View Post
    That's what the plan is as of now.
    I had to justify my riding abilities before they'd let me enter. Never had to do that before!

Hope the weather is decent, but whatever, Terri and I are riding it regardless of the weather!

Rick / OCRR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast