User Tag List

My Bikes
    09 Specialized Cross Trail Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why did I wait so long?

After deciding not to give in to my age (63) and out of shapeness I decided to give cycling a whirl. Cripes, I hadn't ridden for well over 40 years and I was scared. Well anyway I had a friend who works at Blue Sky bicycle shop in Saratoga Springs NY and he spent over two hours with me helping me decide on what to ride and how the bike should fit me. Bought a beautiful Specialized Cross Trail because my riding would be a combination of pavement and dirt/hard pack roads here in Galway NY. To make a long story short, I found that I wasn't in as bad of shape as I thought. And the gearing on my bike made it possible to keep going even on some pretty steep terrain. Now I'm thrilled with how I'm feeling and I can't wait for the next ride. My longest distance so far has been just over 20 miles but before you start to snicker, I've only been riding for a couple of weeks. I'm pretty darned pleased

Well, nice to meet you all!

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edster63 View Post
    My longest distance so far has been just over 20 miles but before you start to snicker, I've only been riding for a couple of weeks. I'm pretty darned pleased
    Welcome! A 20 mile ride is nothing to sneeze at for a new/returning rider. You *should* be pleased.

Nice bike, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome to the madness.

If there is one sport in the world which will make you feel younger than your actual age, this is it. The good news is that it will only get better from here, as you actually begin to turn back the clock physically.

I haven't quite hit that 50+ mark (a couple of years short), but most people mistake me for 10-15 years younger than I actually am, and usually think I look old for my age, till they learn how old I really am. Granted, my skin is somewhere between shoe leather and old bicycle tires, from a lifetime of working and playing outside, and I carry around some grey, but I honestly feel close to my prime.

In any case, 20 miles is an extraordinary accomplishment, for a new rider of any age. Nothing to snicker about.

Have fun with it.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Snickering here for short milage. I have recently been happy to get a 10 mile ride in.

Glad to see you have started riding- but look out for the next stage of your riding development. Won't be long and all it takes is milage and distance to start it off.

No chance in avoiding it- but it can be delayed by leaving your wallet at home.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone

I'll bite, what is the next stage and why leave my wallet home?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and thanks everyone for your kind welcomes.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edster63 View Post
    I'll bite, what is the next stage and why leave my wallet home?
    You have the bike- but will it work better with a lighter weight tyre? wonder what those "new" saddles are like? Everyone keeps going on about Bib Shorts so I had better get a pair and while I am at it- better make them a top quality pair of "Assos" and then the final accolade of N+1.

And then there is the other factor that comes into play. May take a while to get into it but bike rides need nourishment. In fact if you are riding right they need good nourishment. Takes a little bit of practice to find the right cafe- serving the right coffee and the array of PIE to keep you going on the ride.

Enjoy the riding and don't put on too much weight before you find the right cafe
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Single Track mind crowd edster63 sounds like your hooked/Kenneth

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Start saving up for that next bike

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like you're off to a great start. Keep it it up.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the number of miles but, rather, the quality of the miles that matters
    Sounds to me like yours are of Grade Double-A quality.

I'm kind of the king of the 15 mile ride around town. Sometimes if I can only get 10 miles in, I just make them the hardest 10 miles we have here (and that can be pretty hard)

Congrats, keep at it.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took me longer than 2 weeks to work up to a 20 mile ride, and I was only 32, or so.
    Enjoy, and be careful out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on taking up cycling. I started a few months ago myself and have enjoyed every minute of it.

Building up to 20 miles in a couple of weeks is nothing to sneeze at!

My Bikes
    Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the gang. I was 60 when I got back to biking. Took me about 3 months to ride 20 miles. Now at 64 it's my minimum ride. And yes it starts with one bike, but in 4 years I've bought and sold 3 bikes. Built 2 bikes. Currently satisfied with 2 working bikes; but suspect that won't last.
    BierHaus Bertolette Road Bike, built 2007
    BierHaus SRT Trail Bike, built 2010
    Fuji Mt. Pro - 2007

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did someone say "Snickers"?

Congrats on the ride and welcome.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job edster63. Stick with it and see where you go. when I started back into cycling all I wanted was a comfort bike and a few miles to ride. It wasn't long till all I wanted was a comfort bike and a trailer to go shopping with and to ride a few more miles a week. It wasn't long till ten miles was a good ride and then it was only a warm up. Now 40 miles is average and my Road bike is my comfort bike.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome edster63.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    Good job edster63. Stick with it and see where you go. when I started back into cycling all I wanted was a comfort bike and a few miles to ride. It wasn't long till all I wanted was a comfort bike and a trailer to go shopping with and to ride a few more miles a week. It wasn't long till ten miles was a good ride and then it was only a warm up. Now 40 miles is average and my Road bike is my comfort bike.
    Had a similar experience, but went from an inexpensive mtn bikt to a comfort bike, then a flat bar road bike and now a carbon drop bar road bike. The noob needs to prepare for n +1.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I got back into cycling, my first 20 mile club ride nearly killed me! You're off to a great (re)start.

Speaking of n+1, I'm going to look at another vintage steel bike, a Lotus 3000r. Guy wants way too much but if I can talk sense into him...
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the responses. Funny but all I was looking for was some exercise and I've already changed my saddle, went to an ergonomic specialized grip and am stocking up on several changes of bike shorts etc etc etc. When I rode a Harley I swore off all the accessorizing and here I go again.....

Oh, a question.......has anyone altered a pair of fingerless gloves in order to build up portions where the gel padding has just sorta disappeared? I get numbness and discomfort after about 10 miles. Just for fun I've cut up a pair of Dr. Scholls gel foot pads and inserted inside my gloves. Gonna try it today.......

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why should I snicker? When I started cycling years ago, my first rides were shorter than 20 miles. Sounds like you are off to a flying start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My office is 10 miles from home, so a 20 mile round trip is as far as I ever go -- no snickering here!
    Besides, it's the smiles, not the miles, that matter.
    Welcome aboard!

Paul

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
    My office is 10 miles from home, so a 20 mile round trip is as far as I ever go -- no snickering here!
    Besides, it's the smiles, not the miles, that matter.
    Welcome aboard!

Paul
    Don't you ever take the long way home? More miles means more chances for smiles.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stretched a normal 19 mile ride to 26 today, just by making a small detour, it was along the beach and was well worth it. 20-25 miles is a nice distance, leaves you fresh enough to do other things (like eat pie).
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    Stretched a normal 19 mile ride to 26 today, just by making a small detour, it was along the beach and was well worth it. 20-25 miles is a nice distance, leaves you fresh enough to do other things (like eat pie).
    I don't know, these days 25 is just a warm-up, a recovery, or an after work ride.