Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After all the advice I bought a Tricross Sport Triple

After all the advice on what type of bike to get, I ended up with a Cyclocross bike, a Specialized Tricross Sport Triple.

I went to several different bike shops and tried the following, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad9, Giant Defy 1, and the Tricross Sport. All were great bikes, but after test riding the Tricross Sport something just clicked. Maybe it was my Motocross motorcycle racing in my younger years. It has a longer wheelbase and felt very stable, has a triple crankset that I wanted, and I can use it as a good road bike and still have the capablities to go on dirt roads and firm trails.

Another question is what would be a good set of pedals. I would probably prefer to use toe clips and straps so I can walk around in cycle shoes.

Thanks for all the help, will keep everyone updated on my progress.

Tom

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by twray View Post
    ... after test riding the Tricross Sport something just clicked...
    That says it all right there. Enjoy!
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MTB shoes and clipless pedals. Nice bike, enjoy the new ride.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by twray View Post
    Another question is what would be a good set of pedals. I would probably prefer to use toe clips and straps so I can walk around in cycle shoes.
    Get some SPD or Candy pedals and mtn bike shoes. Mtn bike shoes look and walk just like sneakers. Here are two common mtn bike shoes.

Last edited by RonH; 07-21-09 at 06:36 PM.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny how you sit on a bike and that is the one. When trying out bikes- If one says "Take me home" that is it. On the shoes- Forget the "Death Traps" Not saying go clipless on the pedals immediately- but do it soon. And the MTB style shoe does allow you to walk around. And SPD system is no more dangerous than the Clip and strap system but is easier to use.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice.

This is not that same type of bike as the Giant and C-Dales, and maybe not as quick, but throw on a set of 25mm tires, it would be plenty quick if needed.

I recommended this bike (an '07) to a close friend, who had been riding a 30 year old Fuji steel tourer, 6 speed friction, narrow handle bars, etc... It was instant love and he discovered that a new bike can really make you want to ride more.

Best of luck

Steve B.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to get some old style MTB pedals and plastic toe clips with nylon straps from your LBS for not much.

Or go a little nicer and get some MKS pedals and steel or aluminum clips with leather straps. These would be more suitable for road riding than offroad, but should do fine for limited offroading.

http://www.velo-orange.com/petoeclandac.html
    Last edited by BluesDawg; 07-22-09 at 10:47 PM.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like old style bolt on clips but I don't use the straps. Without the strap, the metal ones do a better job keeping my foot in place.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting