Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best wishes to Jens Voigt

Jens took a hard fall on the final descent of yesterday's Tour de France stage. He hit the pavement at about 50mph, breaking a cheek bone and getting a concussion. He seems to be OK. Hard to hurt someone as tough as Jens. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/voig...horrific-crash

Jens has always been one of my favorite pro bike racers, and the only one with whom I've drank a few beers. A couple of days after watching him edge out Lance Armstrong in a slugfest up Brasstown Bald in the 2004 Tour de Georgia, I attended an after-race party for the race staff and teams (I was a course marshal for the race that year). Jens and I found a lonely barrel of iced Heinekens and chatted our way through 3 beers each. He is a very friendly and likable person in contrast to his soul crushing performances on a bike. Ever since, during any pro race I watch, my wife always asks how my beer drinking buddy is doing.

Anyway, here's to a speedy recovery.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed BluesDawg,

It was painful to watch his crash on T.V. and it wasn't really clear what caused it. Seemed like he was "Just Riding Along" and the bike went out from under him. And not only was his crash painful to watch the first time . . . they kept re-playing it.

Ouch!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's some slo-mo video at Bike Hugger, and some in-depth analysis by the blog author (who also happens to be the wrench at my LBS):

http://bikehugger.com/2009/07/voigt-crash-analysis.html

Conclusion seems to be that he was shifting his hand position on the bars just as the bike hit an imperfection in the road.

My Bikes
    bianchi MTB,several old schwinns
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a hard hit! Looked like he just laid there after he slid to a stop.Was he unconcious?
    .....Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

My Bikes
    bianchi MTB,several old schwinns
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read the article;Briefly unconcious.Hope he recovers quickly.
    .....Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a nasty crash, I had one like it, but much much slower. Eating pavement is not fun.
    Hope he's back on the bike soon.