Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

trek 7.5fx wsd or motobecane cafe sprint

I am just getting into biking and will stay on road or bike trails. I am a 5'5" almost 50yo woman. I have been to a couple of LBS and have tried several bikes. I prefer the straight bar feel. I really liked the trek 7.5 fx in the wsd version. I also liked the 7.3, but don't really know how important the upgrades on the 7.5 are. I also found the motobecane online at Sportmamabikes, but don't know enough about components to compare the bikes. The MB is $549 compared to $810 for the Trek FX 7.5. Can anyone advise me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also wondering how the wsd geometry effects the feel and ride over a longer ride.

My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 7.3FX at $499 this week on the Trek WOW sale is a steal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 7.5, but not the WSD. The motobecane is a gamble, mainly because you can't test ride it. I would highly advise you to test ride any and every bike you plan to buy, or are interested in buying. For instance the WSD may make the bike comfortable for you, or it might make it too cramped. You won't know until you sit on one. The motobecane will have to be assembled, and tuned. It's not a simple matter of attaching the handlebars, pedals, and wheel. An LBS(Local Bike Shop) should go over the bike front to back, making sure everything works as it should, all nuts, bolts, and screws are tight, the wheels are true, the brakes and shifters work, etc. And making sure it's adjusted to fit you. It takes more than an hour to do all this. You could buy a bike online and take it to a shop for assembly and set up, but they will charge you. Many bike shops also will adjust and/or tune you bike for life or a period of years, mostly to get you back into the shop. If you do buy the bike on line, and it arrives damaged, or it's the wrong size, etc, that could be a big headache. Some bike shops will also give a discount on accessories when you buy a bike from them, like a helmet.

Ok that rant is over, look at the specs on the Trek web site between the 7.5 and the 7.3. IMHO, and from owning one, the 7.5 has a better component level for the fitness oriented rider. 9 speed over 8, the shifters are a step up, and easier to use, carbon fork vs. AL. So if you want to cruise the bike paths, and road with out much concern for speed, and distance, then the 7.3 might be the way to go. If you want to ride a bit more agressive, the 7.5 might be a better choice. Since your just getting into riding, you might want to spend less, you can always upgrade.(see also; n+1 rule) And you'll have some left over cash for other stuff, shoes, pedals, helmet, shorts, etc.
    As for the WSD, go try one on for size.
    Hope this helps.
    Enjoy the ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your input. I have tried both the 7.3 and 7.5 trek fx wsd and like the way they feel. I am leaning towards one of the treks, but haven't decided which. Will probably go ride them both again.
    What is the n+1 rule?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkbikemom View Post
    Thanks for your input. I have tried both the 7.3 and 7.5 trek fx wsd and like the way they feel. I am leaning towards one of the treks, but haven't decided which. Will probably go ride them both again.
    What is the n+1 rule?
    You find out shortly.

Have heard that some TREK dealers are selling the 7.3 at a greatly reduced price. Not certain if the WSD comes into that but worth a try to find out.

On the WSD- Not doubting your choice but have you tried the same size in a "Mens" bike. For some females- the normal bike fits them better. The saddle won't but it is worth a try to see which one fits better.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    You find out shortly.

Have heard that some TREK dealers are selling the 7.3 at a greatly reduced price. Not certain if the WSD comes into that but worth a try to find out.

On the WSD- Not doubting your choice but have you tried the same size in a "Mens" bike. For some females- the normal bike fits them better. The saddle won't but it is worth a try to see which one fits better.
    I am very confused about n+1. What do you mean "You will find out shortly?"

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny you should mention the 7.5 FX WSD today, because just 2 hours ago, a co-worker of mine showed me her "new" bike and it was the exact same bike. Pretty nice fitness hybrid. Much lighter than hybrids with suspension forks. She absolutely loves hers.

I'd say the upgrades in the 7.5 FX over the 7.3 FX justify the $899 vs $639 price. The carbon fork is much nicer than the AL fork, yielding a smoother ride. Many of the other components are upleveled a bit, which generally means they are a bit lighter and/or higher quality. The wheels are upgraded, which can make a noticeable difference. Nicer crankset too.

You quote $810 for the 7.5 FX, so it sounds like your dealer is discounting it 10%.

As to WSD vs a men's 7.5 FX, typically a WSD bike will have a shorter top tube, as women tend to have proportionately shorter arms than men. Trek has shortened the top tube on this line by about an inch on the WSD models. As well as lowering the standover height, which is a more obvious change. Which is better for you, I cannot know.
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 07-22-09 at 02:39 PM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As to the Motobecaine Cafe Sprint, that's a good price for those components. It's $90 less than the 7.3 FX and has a carbon fork and better front derailleur & reasonable wheel set. It isn't an $1195 bike ... maybe more like $750 in a store. Can't complain about what you get for $550 on it.

Trouble is, you can't ride it and see it if fits. The geometry is different than the Trek FX bike. If you fit a 15" Trek then that doesn't mean the 15" Motobecane is also a good fit.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very confused about n+1. What do you mean "You will find out shortly?"
    Just to help with your question, which you've nicely asked twice: whenever the question is asked, "How many bikes should a person own?" we here on the 50+ forum always believe the answer is N+1. That is, no matter how many bikes you own, we'll always support anyone's desire to own another.

So the "N+1" rule is that if you buy a good bike, and you make sure it fits and you take care of any little maintenance issues that come up, before long you'll enjoy cycling enough that you'll be ready for "N+1."

The relevance in your case is -- you have a chance to get a deal on a bike that is good enough to get you involved in cycling. Get a good bike, with good bike shop support, and you'll enjoy it. If the bike bug really bites you, it doesn't matter overly much what you get because before long you'll fall prey to "N+1."

The Motobecane you're looking at is a "good deal," but if you buy a bike online you're (a) assuming some risk that you might not get the right size (b) responsible for making the sure the bike is assembled quickly - not too difficult, but you might want to hire a local bike shop to help you check things over if you don't have a lot of bike repair experience and (c) on your own for follow-up maintenance and repairs.

Personally I think for a first bike you ought to buy from a local bike shop that you feel comfortable working with. If your local bike shops aren't super-helpful in the shopping/fitting/selection process, then you're just as well off buying online.
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 07-22-09 at 05:30 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dkbikemom, Thanks for asking because I did noty know either.

I did ride the men's Trek 7.3 which is on sale during the TDF. It was a nice bike, and as CCrew said, it is a good deal @ $499.

There is a lot to be said for local shops. Ours change out my wife's cracked frame without any hassle at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BengeBoy,

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I can easily see how someone passionate about a hobby could fall prey to the N+1 rule.

I also appreciate all of the advice about bike selection. I have been to three different bike shops in Huntsville, AL and found one that was very helpful about sizing, etc and I have test ridden 4 bikes. I am feeling better about purchasing one from the bike shop. I don't think the price will be as good as the Motobecane, but I feel better about trying it out before I buy it.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some folks claim, and I agree, buy the BIKE SHOP and not the bike.

In other words, especially for someone getting newly into bicycling, a good LBS can be a bigger asset than a good bike, although one definitely wants BOTH!!

The person delivering the mail-order bike is not going to know a thing about assembling the bike.

some of us are at N+6.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    Too darn many.. latest count is 11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    some of us are at N+6.
    Only 6? I'm now at N+10

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I refuse to submit - I just gave away the old Puch last weekend - I am N-1!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCrew View Post
    Only 6? I'm now at N+10
    YIKES! I have some serious catching up to do! Can I add my boats to my bikes? Then I'll come closer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to go with the Trek 7.5 FX and just got back from my first ride with my 13 y.o. son. I love the bike but can't believe how seriously out of shape I feel.

My Bikes
    1974 Schwinn Super Sport, 2003 Trek 7500FX and 5500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice choice. Enjoy.
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax
    and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

My Bikes
    Road
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dkbikemom -

You did good on buying from a local bike shop. As an aside - I was in kind of the same spot when I bought my wife and myself each a bike last year. We went through all the test riding and fitting at one of our local shops. We knew exactly what we wanted to get. I was talking to a friend who lives out in Callifornia. He checked his shop and could get the 2 bikes about $350 less than I could get locally, and that included shipping. At the end of the day I bought locally because I wanted a relationship with the local shop. It was the best move I made.

As far as being out of shape - stay with it - ride easy at first - try pushing it out a little further each day. Before you know it you will be out there doing 20+ miles at a good cadence and speed. You may surprise yourself.

BTW - invest in a pair of bike shorts, a jersey, and some shoes and pedals. You will not be unhappy you did. Your lbs will help you decide which of each to get and why you want them. Also, look into a bike computer, perhaps with a heart rate monitor, if you are serious. It will help you gauge your self and give you measurements you can use to gauge how you are progressing.

Plus, you will get LOTS of great advice on this forum on everything you will want to know so stay with it, be safe, hand have LOTS of smiles and fun.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first few rides have been humbling for many of us.

One thing that you should not feel wedded to, is the saddle. Most of us change out the original saddle. If you don't adapt to it over a series of rides, or you find it darn uncomfortable to the point of it being painful to ride, then you'll want to consider other options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm humbled on pretty much every ride!
    Pay attention to how the bike feels when you ride, you hands, feet, knees, neck, etc. Any real soreness or pain, try to figure it out, talk to your LBS, as soon as you can. It may be a simple adjustment. It's not fun to have unnecessary pain. And it should be all about fun.
    Enjoy the ride!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really glad that I stumbled upon this forum. The shear volume of the information is amazing. I have found some answers by reading the different threads as well as just being amused by some. It is nice to know that I can post a question and get so much feedback.
    I was definitely humbled today. Thankfully nothing hurt except my pride at finding myself winded and tired so quickly. My son and I did get out again this evening and didn't go quite as far the second time. He has had a new bike for about a week and I won't even venture to guess how many miles he has logged without leaving our neighborhood. Oh to be young and full of energy!

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on getting a great bike. Getting back in shape is another whole process. The main thing is to have fun and try not to overdue it at first.

I found recovery rides help me with my sore muscles. A recovery ride is taking a second ride, similar to what you did, but just pedaling in the lowest gears to increase blood flow to the leg muscles. Make the recovery ride short.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to go with the Trek 7.5 FX and just got back from my first ride with my 13 y.o. son. I love the bike but can't believe how seriously out of shape I feel.
    Low tyre pressures and binding brakes can do a lot to slow down an energetic 13 year old

Give it a month and you won't be feeling too bad after a ride. Give it a year and your 13 year old won't be riding with you as he won't want to get beaten by his mom. So make the most of family rides now.

And good choice on the bike.

I didn't reply to N+1 as Tom answered for me. Just don't get sucked in- or buy a bigger shed.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the Motobacane Sprint and love it! Rode the Trek 7.1 FX all the way up to the 7.6 FX and couldn't justify the price vs. the Sprint. Great components and the frame is made in Taiwan.(I know that has always been a controversy)