Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Getting Started (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/565431-getting-started.html)

gitarzan 07-22-09 06:32 PM

Getting Started

I just turned 55. I've casually ridden over the years, until about 10 years ago when I rolled the bikes away and left them. A friend has been into road riding over the last few years and has urged me to start again.

The last several years I'd been motorcycling until about a year ago when I began having health issues related to pituitary issues. Modern medicine has me up and hopping again, and I've also sold the Yamahas.

SO. I dragged out my old bikes. An old cheap cruiser and a Raleigh 10 (12) speed. I've ordered new tires, tubes. etc. and should have them back in action by next week. The cruiser is sturdy and single speed and the Raleigh is just an old bike from the 80 or 90's I guess.

I pressurized the tire on the Cruiser and rode a few blocks. WOW. I forgot how exhilarating that was. I 'd have gone further, but there was a leak in the old rubber.

I'm really looking forward to getting into riding again. My plan is to build my legs and balance back up in the neighborhood on the single speed cruiser. After a few weeks, I'll try some short rides on the Raleigh and see where that goes. If I persevere, I may get a nicer bike next summer, but I never had any complaints on the Raleigh before so Ill see.

I am tickled to see a 50+ forum. I expect to learn a lot here. I look forward to a interest, I hope it sticks.

btw, my avatar is my pomeranian Sascha.

gkk2001 07-22-09 06:51 PM

Interesting story and best of luck with your health issues. I think you turned to certainly one of the best exercise options available for us 50+ ers. I have recently done the same at 58. But taking it easy is a nesessity as I see it. Local clubs around here are talking about averaging 16 - 18 mph on 20 mile rides. I find no way I can do that now, am not even close to being able to join in that kind of group. Maybe in about 1 year.
I recently got over a bought with a kidney stone and my hunch tells me the road vibration from biking may have coaxed it along to pass earlier rather than a year or so from now. Maybe that is good, it had to come out eventually I guess.

You might consider investing a few bucks into updated equipment, something to think about. Not alot but if you do, it may increase your committment to stay with it. My logic is; I would rather pay now than paying the hospitals and doctors later. Much cheaper to buy the bike than any hospital bill. At least, that was my justification.

Whatever way you go, best of luck.

Greg

gitarzan 07-22-09 07:00 PM

No kidding, I'm taking it easy. Local bike rail trails, etc. I got a lotta shaping up to do first.

BigBlueToe 07-23-09 11:50 AM

I had a Raleigh Gran Prix 10-speed I bought in 1973. That bike took me thousands of miles and I loved it. However, bike technology has changed incredibly since then, and the changes are pretty much all for the good. Go ahead and ride the Raleigh, but be careful about going to a bike shop and trying a modern road bike. When you do, all of a sudden the Raleigh might not seem suitable anymore.

I agree with taking it easy. When I was in my 20's and someone passed me, I'd usually grit my teeth, bear down, and see if I could catch up and re-pass. When I saw someone in the distance I'd push hard to see if I could overtake them. Now when someone passes me I smile and say hello and that's it. (I might even squeak my squeaky horn at them.) When I see someone in the distance I ride my normal tempo. Every once in awhile I'll catch someone, but usually I watch them fade in the distance. It's okay. I'm 58. I'm still riding. I'm feeling good. Who cares?

stapfam 07-23-09 02:33 PM

Using the existing bikes to build up strength and fitness seems a good idea- but bikes have changed a lot in the past few years. As you will find out by going to a shop. You have the right idea though- but start collecting catalogues now to find out what your next bike will be.

gitarzan 07-23-09 06:43 PM

Thanks,
If I am still at it next summer - it will be new bike time.