Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member Allegheny Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Medina, OH
    My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Posts
    5,557
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I'm going away for a while...

    I'm leaving tonight to PA for a 5 day riding trip across Northern PA on RT 6. It's the first time that I'll be doing a multi-day ride. I'll be riding with two brother-in-laws who are both roadies. Our wives will be riding sag and visiting local attractions, antique stores, general stores and any other roadside attractions to keep their interest up while we put in 65 to 80 miles a day. We are booked in B&B's along the way and will ride from the Western PA line East to Wilksbarre, then leave RT 6 and ride back to Williamsport to the Mother-in-law's home. I did some research to find some attractions for the ladies but they don't seem interested in the PA Lumber Mesuem, Zippo Lighter Museum, tours of the Straub's Brewery or the two courthouse statues which don't have Lady Justice wearing blindfolds over her eyes (I guess in small town PA they like to know who is on trail). We plan to eat breakfast at the B&B's then ride until noon where we will meet up with the ladies for lunch then finish up riding in the early afternoon followed by food and drink in some local establishment.

    I've worked out my race training plan with my coach so that on two of the days I'll be doing specific intervals, pushing up the big hills in a high HR for 10 to 12 minutes, and on one day I'll be working on sprinting efforts. I have packed my camera and will take some pictures and possibly post during the ride if the B&B's have internet. I do promise to take the obligatory pictures of pie.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

  2. #2
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a lot of fun (except the training part ). Have fun.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  3. #3
    Senior Member kr32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Waldorf Md.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Posts
    2,045
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    That sounds like a lot of fun (except the training part ). Have fun.
    +1....training

    Have fun and be safe!

  4. #4
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    7,803
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a great time. I like the concept of working in some intervals on specific sections of the route - very intelligent.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Allegheny Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Medina, OH
    My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Posts
    5,557
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've invested a lot of time training for races this year and still have several "A" races left. To me any sacrifices made for training and racing were well worth the effort. I think think the trip will energize me to complete the season once I'm back. Yesterday evening I was supposed to do two sets of 4 x 1 mile intervals. It was raining and I quit the workout after the first set, then just rode with a training buddy, and did some "town line sprints". Come fall I'll be back at the club and group rides which I choose to miss in order focus on race training. Then, when I'm riding "fast" I'll once again appreciate any work done the past year.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

  6. #6
    gone ride'n cyclinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Posts
    4,054
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No real big mountains in PA but some very steep climbs. Should keep you challenged.
    I think Rt 6 follows mostly a valley but as I recall there are some interesting spots along the way. PA has some surprisingly ruggid terrain.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Phippsburg,Me.
    My Bikes
    Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HA ha Jet this place will probably fold with both of us gone.; Im off with the riseing sun /for Canada Ill ride the bike some but the GRAND LAKE STREAM FOLK ARTS festival on Saturday THE Canadians are haveing one the next week I may stay for that./Kenneth

  8. #8
    Senior Member Allegheny Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Medina, OH
    My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Posts
    5,557
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenkayak View Post
    HA ha Jet this place will probably fold with both of us gone.; Im off with the riseing sun /for Canada Ill ride the bike some but the GRAND LAKE STREAM FOLK ARTS festival on Saturday THE Canadians are haveing one the next week I may stay for that./Kenneth


    I hope your vacation goes well, enjoy your time in Canada.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

  9. #9
    Senior Member Allegheny Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Medina, OH
    My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Posts
    5,557
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    No real big mountains in PA but some very steep climbs. Should keep you challenged.
    I think Rt 6 follows mostly a valley but as I recall there are some interesting spots along the way. PA has some surprisingly ruggid terrain.
    Compared to where I live outside of Cleveland OH the 1,200 foot ridges around Williamsport have been my only mountains to climb. Our trip will take us past the PA Grand Canyon area. We will be visiting the San Francisco area in Oct and I hope to spend one day on a rented bike riding up some big climb while my wife is distracted by a daylong shopping or luxury treatment.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Phippsburg,Me.
    My Bikes
    Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
    Posts
    621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANKS I hope the weather is good for your raceing/Kenneth

  11. #11
    Senior Member BengeBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington, USA
    My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Posts
    6,923
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This part sounds great!

    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    I'm leaving tonight to PA for a 5 day riding trip across Northern PA.... Our wives will be riding sag... We are booked in B&B's along the way.... tours of the Straub's Brewery... We plan to eat breakfast at the B&B's then ride until noon where we will meet up with the ladies for lunch then finish up riding in the early afternoon followed by food and drink in some local establishment.... I have packed my camera....I do promise to take the obligatory pictures of pie.
    This part sounds like work....

    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet;9336
    879
    I've worked out my race training plan with my coach so that on two of the days I'll be doing specific intervals,
    I think you should make your coach do the intervals, while you find a second brewery to tour...

  12. #12
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    7,803
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Compared to where I live outside of Cleveland OH the 1,200 foot ridges around Williamsport have been my only mountains to climb. Our trip will take us past the PA Grand Canyon area. We will be visiting the San Francisco area in Oct and I hope to spend one day on a rented bike riding up some big climb while my wife is distracted by a daylong shopping or luxury treatment.
    PM me when you are planning to come. We may be able to save you from the rental bike with the bag on the front and offer some suffering on one of the more memorable climbs. With a bit of luck, you may be here when we are running the Low Key Hill Climb Races and participate. They typically start in October with a different hill climb race each Saturday and culminate with the Thanksgiving morning race up Mount Hamilton.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Allegheny Jet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Medina, OH
    My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Posts
    5,557
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    PM me when you are planning to come. We may be able to save you from the rental bike with the bag on the front and offer some suffering on one of the more memorable climbs. With a bit of luck, you may be here when we are running the Low Key Hill Climb Races and participate. They typically start in October with a different hill climb race each Saturday and culminate with the Thanksgiving morning race up Mount Hamilton.
    Will do once we are closer to the trip. We will be in the area Oct 22 thru Oct 28 which includes a Saturday. We don't have plans yet on exactly what we will be doing in the SF area. I think we will both make list of must do, want to do, would be nice to do, things our friends say to do, and even that's way to expensive to do's, then take turns picking out our "to do's". Air fare was on sale for 48 hours several weeks ago so we picked a place to go and purchased RT tickets on the cheap.

    My wife just retired from 31 yrs of teaching and I recently retired, then went back to work in the same job 3 days/week. We are new at this retirement thing and know that we are supposed to travel, have lots' of fun and spend the money before our kids get it.
    oldschool areodynamic brick

  14. #14
    Keeper of the Castle
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NE Ohio
    My Bikes
    2009 CAAD9-5, 2009 Kona Dew Plus, Trek 930
    Posts
    72
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well from one NE Ohioan to another ( a bit NE of Brunswick) I think you will enjoy the ride. I am very familiar with the western portion of RT 6 thru PA and think you will have a great time. An acquaintance of mine did Rt. 6 thru PA a few years back and enjoyed it. Just watch out for the locals in their fast moving "pick-em-up" trucks!
    2009 CAAD9-5 (road)
    2009 Kona Dew Plus (hybrid)
    1993 Trek 930 (mountain)

  15. #15
    Elite Rider Hermes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    My Bikes
    Too Many
    Posts
    7,803
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    Will do once we are closer to the trip. We will be in the area Oct 22 thru Oct 28 which includes a Saturday. We don't have plans yet on exactly what we will be doing in the SF area. I think we will both make list of must do, want to do, would be nice to do, things our friends say to do, and even that's way to expensive to do's, then take turns picking out our "to do's". Air fare was on sale for 48 hours several weeks ago so we picked a place to go and purchased RT tickets on the cheap.

    My wife just retired from 31 yrs of teaching and I recently retired, then went back to work in the same job 3 days/week. We are new at this retirement thing and know that we are supposed to travel, have lots' of fun and spend the money before our kids get it.
    The "to do" prep, screening and prioritization sounds complicated. One thing for sure is that there is a lot to do in the bay area.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •