Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Sharing other 50+ interests

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sharing other 50+ interests

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-09, 09:41 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88
social deviancy in a graduate program in Philadelphia.
I was top of my class in that program in college
Old 07-26-09, 11:26 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by zoste
Guitars have their own N+1: it's called GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome).
Have somehow never owned more than 2 guitars at once; current guitar #2, a 70's Guild solidbody electric, probably needs to go to a new home where it will get played.
Old 07-26-09, 11:31 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work full time and leave home at 5:30 AM and return after 5:00 PM, and that doesn't leave much time for my creative pursuits (not to mention as much riding as I'd like to do).

So, when I have the time, I also enjoy...

Gardening, fitness walking, web site development (I created and maintain our bike group blog, in addition to our personal blog about gardening/recipes/etc), knitting, cross-stitching, photography, genealogy, cooking/baking, Sudoku (puzzles in general) and road-tripping with Hubby.

Mostly, I enjoy creative hobbies and I long for the free time to pursue them when I retire.

Last edited by Yen; 07-26-09 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-26-09, 12:48 PM

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
HA HA DnvrFox /We do always know where your point is goingIt sure is true that our inerests mesh in this group I sang in church and was incouraged to do the fine glee club of portland h.s. and injoyed it very much[only in school there for a year and 1/2 moving to a place with know music and know football BUT BOOSE cars and woman were next up for a hard working boy/Kenneth
Old 07-26-09, 01:01 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
hello JanMM I have that GAS syndrome havent had less than 2 guitars for 50yrs./Kenneth
Old 07-26-09, 01:17 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
PRAIRIEDOG /Those are beautiful paddles/I used paddles[mostly kayak] for years harvesting harvesting sea weed for the marine worm business It was a very adventurous job in my big Gruman canoe with sponsuns on it Ihave a picture some where paddleing that gruman with 50 burlap bags of worm weed in it.Kenneth
Old 07-26-09, 01:27 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
ha ha Ron that's fun reading //maybe you should write./Kenneth
Old 07-26-09, 07:25 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Other Interests

I find myself back at community college at 53! I didn't go to college at the age I was supposed to, now my kids are grown and I want to go back to work full time and need some marketable skills. I am into my second semester in paralegal studies. I love it, I have a 3.81 GPA, but I am the oldest in all my classes! Tell the kid to go now so he doesn't have to be the oldest one in his class when he is 50+!
Old 07-26-09, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I'm still working. My formal education was in chemistry, but my current job is more into physical sciences and mechanical engineering. Fortunately, we have a competent engineer on staff.

With regard to avocational pursuits, I sing 1st Tenor in our church choir and with the Singing Men of Arkansas. https://www.singingmenofarkansas.org/ You can listen to a selection or two on our website.

In addition to singing and cycling, I enjoy shooting pistols and revolvers. It amazing how a trip to the range with all the noise, muzzle flash, smoke etc. can be very relaxing. I load my own ammunition and have an instrument (chronograph) that measures bullet speed. It's a challenge to start with a load and make fine adjustments to yield the most precise groups without damaging the weapon or its operator.

Though I'm not as active as I once was, I am an amateur radio operator ("Ham"). I've worked with volunteer teams to provide communication for events like the Houston Marathon and for disaster relief, Franklin, LA the day after Hurricane Andrew came through and for a week thereafter.
Old 07-27-09, 04:03 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]

This is what I have been intrested in but latley it has been just sitting in garage.
I want to take big block chevy out and put in a Flathead ford motor.
I sort have lost intrest but still want to change a few things on it.
I used to go to shows all the time but those sort of got old so I just drive it whereever now days when I do drive it.
This picture was before it was involved in a accident. It now has exposed door hinges and door handles. A few other changes due to accident as well but not visible in picture. New quickchange rear end and paint is flat purple instead of gloss.

I also play golf but have never had a lesson with a pro like JPPE did, very cool!
Old 07-27-09, 05:10 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX and Fuji MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just to add my 2cents, I shoot Olympic archery. This involves a lot of practice, so I don't get to ride as much as I would like. At 62, I also opened a bike repair shop. So, I guess I am busy.
Old 07-27-09, 07:13 AM

Bikes: Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Music is an alternative to riding. Lifelong amateur guitarist, recently added v-drums and keyboard to become a one-man instro band out of necessity and started recording. No vocals here.
Its a fun hobby and I like listening to the good & bad on the ipod when I'm out running.

I try to come up with original sounds and not very polished ones at that:
https://www.soundclick.com/members/de...ember=eriesurf

And yes, I have GAS, too.
Old 07-27-09, 07:56 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have many interests that I dabble in a bit, but only a few that I'm passionate about.

I'm still employed, working four twelve hour shifts per week with a healthy bit of overtime thrown in making for many 65 hour work weeks. My hobbies include:
CYCLING...both riding and repairing. At one point I ran a small business selling used bikes at a local flea market. That was indeed great fun and I wish I still did it, but the "Big Box" store kinda knocked the wind out of those sails.
TOY TRAINS...both collecting and operating, my favorite era being the toys of the fifties and earlier.
COLLECTING....Hess trucks (we've got every year so far, with boxes)
Die-Cast 1/64th scale trucks by Winross and PenJoy, only trucks that represent local based businesses.
BRITISH SPORTS CARS....Maintaining, driving and showing. I still own my '72 MGB which I purchased new. We've sold the rest of our fleet due to monetary needs. We had a '59 MGA Coupe, a '70 MGBGT, and a '71 Triumph Spitfire (the wife's). We don't do much with the car any more, it just sits out in the garage now.
Old 07-27-09, 08:47 AM
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Needlework--primarily counted cross stitch, but also needlepoint.

Rubber stamping--have made holiday cards for the last four years, and occasional special-occasion cards.

Reading--voraciously.
Old 07-27-09, 09:08 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hello DoctorJ another twist in this group Pistols I have a 44mag with a great long shinny barrol////I have a friend who got me into hunting with it with his specially loaded [birdshot ammo]it was great fun/when he gave it up I lost my ammo supply and had to go to useing rat shot witch wasnt half as good as hisbesides like him lerking through dence under brush gets old now we both go buy a chicken/Kenneth
Old 07-27-09, 09:12 AM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ah KR32 WHAT A BEAUTY//Kenneth
Old 07-27-09, 09:18 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
/
BRITISH SPORTS CARS....Maintaining, driving and showing. I still own my '72 MGB which I purchased new. ,,,We had a '59 MGA Coupe, a '70 MGBGT, and a '71 Triumph Spitfire (the wife's).
Are there any other symptoms of mental illness in your family?
Old 07-27-09, 10:59 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
BRITISH SPORTS CARS....Maintaining, driving and showing. I still own my '72 MGB which I purchased new. We've sold the rest of our fleet due to monetary needs. We had a '59 MGA Coupe, a '70 MGBGT, and a '71 Triumph Spitfire (the wife's). We don't do much with the car any more, it just sits out in the garage now.
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
Are there any other symptoms of mental illness in your family?
Right Response for these vehicles.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-27-09, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Lots of interesting pastimes ^^. Besides cycling, I enjoy my job though I spend a lot of time at work. My other outside interest is ballroom dancing after about 8 years of lessons in the 1980's. My wife and I go out about twice a month.
Old 07-27-09, 05:19 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by oldguy387
Just to add my 2cents, I shoot Olympic archery.
I was big into archery all through high school. My next to youngest son likes it too.
Maybe I'll look into it again. But I don't want one of these bows.

I want a "real" bow, like this.

I've had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders. Does anyone know if that will affect my ability to draw the bow? Or will constant drawing and releasing screw up my shoulders?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 07-27-09 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-27-09, 05:39 PM
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I like sports that require helmets;

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 07-27-09, 06:02 PM

Bikes: mid 80s Ross Centaur converted to Alfine 11 09 motobecane imortal force, 83 Ross Paragon,81 Schwinn LeTour Tourist, 91 Paramount, 93 GT converted to city bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Other 50+ interests

I kayak.
If it's summer and I'm not on the bike(s) I'm paddling (mainly the upper Niagara or off the eastern end of Lake Erie-I truly envy my neighbors down the interstate near Rochester for their places to paddle)
Kayaking imparts the same Zen but in a different way.(There is no way you can possibly enjoy the serenity of a Blue Heron Rookery in may on a bike.) It's more rhythm and connection vs cadence and power.That I built the boat (albeit from a kit) affords its own sense of pleasure.
Winter arrives and the snowshoes come out. There are some fantastic sheltered state forests within a 45 min drive (or less) where one can set ones own pace.
I'd say gardening but I learned that my susan and I see gardening in completely different settings so ...she gets the gardens.
I like to paint (mainly acrylics on medium to large canvas) and many of the scenes I capture with the camera while cycling or paddling or snowshoeing provide formats for what goes on the canvas.
Old 07-27-09, 06:06 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Ranger63 - how about a picture of one of your pictures?
Old 07-28-09, 02:21 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hi ya Doctor J //I enjoyed Steal Away very much ;any here who injoy fine group singing shoud have a listen/Kenneth
Old 07-28-09, 02:26 PM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I agree Ranger 63/ IM very lucky to live and kayak on the kenebec river in Maine this huge estuary includes the Sheepscot river drainage as well were I also keep a kayak/Kenneth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.