Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   The Whole Family! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/566642-whole-family.html)

Metric Man 07-26-09 07:53 AM

The Whole Family!

I started riding late summer of 2006 and was hooked right away. I've picked up several new bikes along the way and now have a N+3 stable of roads bikes and mountain bikes. Lately, for some reason, I have been approached by many friends and family about biking...how to get started, how far do you go, do you wear the tight spandex shorts? My son in-law has been hinting for some time he wants to start riding so while they were out visiting a few weeks ago I hooked him up with my old Trek 4300 to take back to Arizona with him and try riding before he makes a purchase. We spent an hour or so setting the seat height and getting the pedals that he liked best on it, making sure it was tuned up so it wouldn't give him any trouble etc. The Trek is a 19.5" and too big for me really, and he is an inch shorter than me so I knew it wasn't a perfect fit but it would give him an idea about riding. A few days later the questions start coming...about grips, seats, what size bike should I get? :D Hey cool!! Another one gets bitten, and he's got it good. Even in the AZ heat he's out riding every evening. :twitchy: I can tell he'll be on a road bike in 6 months...he's already got an eye for my Madone...had to smack that notion out of his head. :lol:

About the same time my wife and I were talking to my youngest and only child still at home (16 boy) about getting more active, finding something that you will want to do and keep you fit. He says "like riding a bike?" Yeah, that would work. :thumb: So we went to the LBS and started looking at MTB and got him an entry level Trek that fits him. While we were there I noticed my wife looking at some of the womens bikes.:love: Now we have been down this road before with her and exercise equipment so I wasn't too worried yet, but two days ago she starts hinting that she wants to ride too. I'm telling her about how you have to actually get on the bike to get the benefits etc. and it occurred to me that a good quality bike might actually be a better idea than another treadmill or whatever. And she has become much more health conscience in the last couple of years so off we went to the LBS again. When we walked in I knew we were going home with something, one of the sales people at the LBS is a very knowledgeable double century type woman in her 40's and she is coming over to help. My wife says she wants something in red...the lady shows her several bikes and insists we go to the parking lot and have a test ride on several. My wife decides that red isn't as important as something that fits her (thanks again to the sales lady) and picks out a Trek WSD 3900

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...eries/3900wsd/

We get her some shorts and helmet, gloves etc...all the stuff you need, and now we start riding as a family. WOW! I can't believe it!!

I thought there was a woman's section to BF but I was wrong...are there any woman specific forums that some of the ladies out there might suggest? I sure hope she gets bitten hard with this one...she would look sweet on a road bike someday. :love::love:

DnvrFox 07-26-09 07:59 AM

WOW!!

Great.

My daughter-in-law just bought a bike, for groceries and shopping. She even has a neat trailer for the bags.

My son, Andy, rides his 3 wheeler - or did, until we had the broken femur bit. Hopefully, he will in the furute.

My wife rides.

Tim using a wheel chair, can't, but would love to.

Good stuff.

Beverly 07-26-09 08:31 AM

It's good to see the whole family enjoying cycling.

There is a women's section of BF. Have your wife contact one of the mods and they will give her access.

Metric Man 07-26-09 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 9356487)
It's good to see the whole family enjoying cycling.

There is a women's section of BF. Have your wife contact one of the mods and they will give her access.

Really? A secret society on BF? Sweet! I'll let her know, thank you.

cyclinfool 07-26-09 09:52 AM

I am hoping to get to that day. My wife likes to ride up and down the street but my 8YO daughter just doesn't seem to get it. She plays socker, skis and swims but can't seem to get the hang of riding a bike. I have tried every trick in the book - training wheels (she rolled the bike over and would never ride it again with training wheels), took the pedals off so she could learn balance w/o hitting her legs with the pedals and running along side until I ran out of breath. We have not tried for some time so I maybe it's time again. I am so jealous...

Metric Man 07-26-09 10:00 AM

Thanks CF...I have a theory about kids and bikes...when they're ready they will just get on and go. My youngest grand daughter has been watching her older brother and decided she didn't want training wheels, so her dad took them off and off she went. She won't be 4 until next month. :thumb:

East Hill 07-26-09 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Metric Man (Post 9356707)
Really? A secret society on BF? Sweet! I'll let her know, thank you.

The mod checking in here...yes, there's a closed Women's Cycling forum here. However, she will need to be a member for 30 days and have several posts under her belt before she gets access.

Get her to join up, and have her contact me when she's ready.

East Hill

cyclinfool 07-26-09 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by East Hill (Post 9357376)
The mod checking in here...yes, there's a closed Women's Cycling forum here. However, she will need to be a member for 30 days and have several posts under her belt before she gets access.

Get her to join up, and have her contact me when she's ready.

East Hill

EH,
I want a secret forum for all us pretentious, immature and over bearing males who exaggerate all our biking adventures to the point of the ridiculous.

Oh wait - we already have one...but it's not a secret. :roflmao2:

DnvrFox 07-26-09 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 9357821)
EH,
I want a secret forum for all us pretentious, immature and over bearing males who exaggerate all our biking adventures to the point of the ridiculous.

Oh wait - we already have one...but it's not a secret. :roflmao2:

You are bringing up a long-ago very sore subject!

cranky old dude 07-26-09 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 9356817)
I am hoping to get to that day. My wife likes to ride up and down the street but my 8YO daughter just doesn't seem to get it. She plays socker, skis and swims but can't seem to get the hang of riding a bike. I have tried every trick in the book - training wheels (she rolled the bike over and would never ride it again with training wheels), took the pedals off so she could learn balance w/o hitting her legs with the pedals and running along side until I ran out of breath. We have not tried for some time so I maybe it's time again. I am so jealous...

Two words.....Recumbent Trike.

cranky old dude 07-26-09 06:18 PM

Metric Man, you Sir are truely blessed.

Metric Man 07-26-09 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by cranky old dude (Post 9359117)
Metric Man, you Sir are truely blessed.

Thanks crank...she went out this evening, 90°, and put on 3.25 miles. That's a start...tomorrow she's talking about doing 10 miles. :eek:

Robert Foster 07-26-09 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Metric Man (Post 9360489)
Thanks crank...she went out this evening, 90°, and put on 3.25 miles. That's a start...tomorrow she's talking about doing 10 miles. :eek:

We still have to get together for a ride someday. Are you thinking about the Hemet double century in October? I will be doing at least the first half and you would be more than welcome to join our group.

I am the only family member that rides right now but my son and daughter in law have expressed some interest.

Metric Man 07-26-09 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Foster (Post 9360538)
We still have to get together for a ride someday. Are you thinking about the Hemet double century in October? I will be doing at least the first half and you would be more than welcome to join our group.

I am the only family member that rides right now but my son and daughter in law have expressed some interest.

The double is out for sure...and I haven't given any thought to doing a century, but I think I'm ready so perhaps. I'll keep you in mind for that one...and maybe I can get the family out for your Sept. 12 ride around the lake. :thumb:

Robert Foster 07-27-09 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Metric Man (Post 9360570)
The double is out for sure...and I haven't given any thought to doing a century, but I think I'm ready so perhaps. I'll keep you in mind for that one...and maybe I can get the family out for your Sept. 12 ride around the lake. :thumb:

Parking and a T-shirt are included in the entry fee and we will be giving out prizes. There will be water at the four covered rest areas. It should be fun.