Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this bad weather is a cycling bonus

I rode 101.40 miles yesterday, my second century in 16 days. I had to dodge storms and occasionally take shelter under store overhangs or picnic shelters but I got in a good ride anyway. 30 days ago I had a 90 mile ride and several 60 mile training rides prior to it.

This has been a banner year for cycling and I owe it all to bad weather. We've had an Upper Level Low Pressure system stalled over the NE since late May and the weather has been somewhat wet. In fact it's been very wet and exceptionaly cool. I have many tasks to do at home this summer but they're all dependent on a long spell of dry weather and it just ain't happening.

So as long as it's going to rain nearly every day (and by rain I mean severe thunder storms) I'll be able to ride, ride, ride. Ahhh....life does have its moments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad to hear it. We've been even a bit luckier here (halfway btw Chicago & St Louis); only slightly wetter than usual, but a whole lot cooler and less muggy.

It's a bicyclist's paradise.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last I saw, that front was anchored by a low centered directly over the Upper Peninsula.

You have stores and picnic shelters all along your routes? I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Good, I suppose, if you got to use them! The rainy weather has been cutting into my ride time; it seems like it starts raining every afternoon, at just about the time I get off work. I rode last Monday, then my next chance was Saturday. Tonight looks hopeful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingPedals View Post
    The last I saw, that front was anchored by a low centered directly over the Upper Peninsula.

You have stores and picnic shelters all along your routes? I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Good, I suppose, if you got to use them! The rainy weather has been cutting into my ride time; it seems like it starts raining every afternoon, at just about the time I get off work. I rode last Monday, then my next chance was Saturday. Tonight looks hopeful.
    I work rotating shifts with rotating weekends (24/7 operation) so I get a lot of ride time early in the day.

I ride from my house in Suburbia so there's plenty of shelter (usually) if I can time it right, and the rain hasn't been the all day showers. It's been sporadic cloudbursts. We know it's gonna rain every day, we just don't know when and where.
    Last edited by cranky old dude; 07-27-09 at 06:44 AM.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry for you Crankster - not being able to get those chores done...
    I have had a great riding season as well - it's all about watching the weather channel and picking your moment. Although I have not gotten a century in yet this season - I have had many rides in excess of 60. I was going over my calendar this weeked, looks like at least 6 possible centuries coming up from late Aug through early Oct.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are enjoying your uber-long rides. Are you doing them on your Tour Easy?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Sounds like you are enjoying your uber-long rides. Are you doing them on your Tour Easy?
    Mostly. The three long rides were on the T.E. I generally try to use one of the LWB bikes for rides that I intend to be over 50 miles. The Volae Tour could just as easily handle the long rides but I just happen to prefer the longer wheelbase bikes. The Volae is very nimble and great fun as a commuter and tooling around the neighborhood or riding to a local Park, in fact I've actually logged more miles on the Volae than I have on any one of my other bikes so far this season.

However, every time I get onto the Tour Easy I can't help but marvel at what a great bike it is. It suits me and my riding style perfectly. If I had to choose just one bike to keep and loose all the others, the Tour Easy would be my choice without any doubt what-so-ever.

How are you enjoying your Rans? I know it's been a busy year for you.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon, Dura Ace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that's a lot of riding and a great inspiration. I've got to get my butt in gear
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon DA
    196- Raleigh Record
    2008 Fuji Cross Pro, commuter, tourer