Thread: Remember When?

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember When?

Remember when your dad used to tell you he had to walk 6 miles to school uphill, both ways. Well, I found that route. Saturday my wife and I decided to do a back road loop we hadn't done before. It ended up being about 6 miles of an uphill climb, then a steep dive into a valley, and a 7 mile climb out. All in all the trip ended up being 18 miles, uphill both ways.
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But you came home a better 'couple' for having done it. Sometimes after those wonder what happened rides you feel more accomplished than just an ordinary ride. I hope you did enjoy....in spite of having to push most of the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time out, ride the same loop in the opposite direction and marvel at your improved time.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The comparison is even worse if you take time into consideration. Let's say a ride is 8 miles uphill, 4 miles down, and then 8 miles uphill again. So 80% of the distance is uphill. I guarantee that well over 80% of the time is spent going uphill.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HopedaleHills View Post
    Remember when your dad used to tell you he had to walk 6 miles to school uphill, both ways.
    Huh? When I was a kid we didn't have to walk uphill to school because the earth was still flat.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    The comparison is even worse if you take time into consideration. Let's say a ride is 8 miles uphill, 4 miles down, and then 8 miles uphill again. So 80% of the distance is uphill. I guarantee that well over 80% of the time is spent going uphill.
    I do a 10 mile ride down to the coast. I start 60 metres-(200ft) above sea level and it is a gentle drop down to the beach.

So why is it I do 300ft of climbing on a downhill ride?

And on the reverse ride back home I do about 400ft of climbing.

And Back to the OP. Forget your Dad- I started cycling 18 years ago. I can still remember that first serious ride that my later ride partner took me on. I only had an old bike that did not have "Hill" gearing and that ride hurt. First hill and I was walking about halfway up. Then up a long slope of about 5% for 2 miles to the top of Beachy Head. I still hate that slope- but I even walked a good part of that hill.

Now- admittedly on better bikes- but These two hills are done in the big ring. I must have been a wimp when I started riding.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ha haha you bin ridin my toll road wilst Iwas knapping!!!!/pay the toll hope dale hills/Kenneth

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Capitola
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the few benefits of living in the "flatlands" of central Illinois is I don't have to worry about going up any hills. Here is central Illinois we have a saying - "For miles and miles, all you see is miles and miles." You can never get lost in this part of the country, either. All the country roads are all in nice one mile grids.

My Bikes
    Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha hA ha Retro ///WISH id HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT //Kenneth