Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tour de France effect?

Sunday I noticed more roadies out than most days. Considering it was windy, not very warm and rain moved through it was nice to see so many riders out there.

Anyone else notice the same?

Also have to add that I had my own TdF moment on Sunday. At the top of a pretty tough climb a guy on his yard tractor saw me, jumped off and cheered me on!

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a lot of people riding but I attributed that to the excellent weather we've been having.

The effect I see is people who don't know a headtube from a brifter asking me about getting into cycling, and talking about Lance (who has certainly become quite an advocate for the sport). I hope the people asking me about cycling actually get out their bikes and ride them.

on the tractor driver -- that's great!
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post

on the tractor driver -- that's great!
    +1

If you do want an experience- Go to see the TDF someday. When I went to see it in the UK- There were plenty of people I know from my Town that chose the same spot. One group of whom I did not think rode bikes- but there they were in cycling jerseys and Lycra shorts. Some of them were not a pretty sight- but that is a different matter. It would appear that they are keen followers of the TDF and normally go to France to see a stage.

They do not ride bikes and some of them do not even own bikes but if you are going to the TDF- you have to look the part.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post

They do not ride bikes and some of them do not even own bikes but if you are going to the TDF- you have to look the part.
    I don't know why, but this makes me smile.

It's probably true that most people who start cycling during the TdF don't continue it for long, but I think some of them do. And that's a good thing, isn't it?

On Sunday's ride, I did see a few obvious newcomers. More power to them.
    Specialized Ruby Expert; Salsa Casseroll, Rivendell Betty Foy; Xtracycle

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm always happy to see more people cycling, and yes it does appear an event like the TdF spurs them on. I also like to hear about rising bike sales, which also generally occurs during this time. I only wish we had more major cycling events in the US, like the ex-Tour de Dupont.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are also other effects: About May I start to see more people the gym- bathing suit effect; after January 1 more people show up- New Year's Resolution effect. Neither last very long!

My Bikes
    lotus classique ,haro mirra pro,gary fisher mtb 1980's, trek T1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only idiot I saw was me 95 degrees 15 mph wind so I cut my 35 mi plans to 20

My Bikes
    More than 1, but, less than S-1
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    28 years ago I sat watching the Tour De France highlights of Jonathan Boyer on ABC Sports. I became one of the "July Wonders" who then go out and get on a bike. I'm still riding.
    Birth Certificate, Passport, Marriage License Driver's License and Residency Permit all say I'm a Fred. I guess there's no denying it.

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen new riders and even new groups riding over the last few weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=stapfam;9365012]+1

One group of whom I did not think rode bikes- but there they were in cycling jerseys and Lycra shorts... QUOTE]

around here we call them 'lance-alikes'...

train safe

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    Sunday I noticed more roadies out than most days. Considering it was windy, not very warm and rain moved through it was nice to see so many riders out there.

Anyone else notice the same?
    Yes, the numbers showing up for club rides went up over the last two weeks. I've noticed an increase in the number of road bikes out there. Yes, I believe it's due to the tour.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about others, but when I watch the riders in the tour I get a subconscious urge to get on my bike and "do that".

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueToe View Post
    I don't know about others, but when I watch the riders in the tour I get a subconscious urge to get on my bike and "do that".
    I may think that but then look at the cadence they have, and the gearing they are in and realise that they are travelling at a higher speed than I can attain on a bike. And that was going up Ventoux.

And today- Saw 5 K.O.M. and 2 yellow jerseys. And that was on the MUP.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got a lot of obnoxious comments from people who don't ride about my yellow jersey around TdF time.
    Last edited by hairnet; 08-01-09 at 05:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrodzilla View Post
    I'd rather ride a greasy bowling ball than one of those things.
    Bikerowave
    My Bikes

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had two people good-naturedly yell, "Where's Lance?" as we ride by. I repy, "Behind us".
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    I may think that but then look at the cadence they have, and the gearing they are in and realise that they are travelling at a higher speed than I can attain on a bike. And that was going up Ventoux.
    I was on an early morning ride this summer and just happened to be travelling the opposite direction of the bike route for the local triathlon. I'm pretty sure the lead cyclist was going up the hill faster than I was going down it

My Bikes
    Rivendell Bleriot and a Panasonic 1986 7500 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out an American NFL football game...people dressed in jersies etc. Cycling is a major sport in Europe. In the US we are targets for autos. Lycra or not.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen more riders decked out in kit form in the past few weeks, I'm sure the TdF has had an effect on this. Once the weather turns more to the foul side, the riders in kit form will disappear, either retreating to their trainers or donning the role of Super Fred.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfred View Post
    28 years ago I sat watching the Tour De France highlights of Jonathan Boyer on ABC Sports. I'm still riding.
    I bought a road bike in the spring of '86 and rode quite a few miles before July. Lemond's victory in the TdF that year was motivator for me. I'm still riding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a previous poster said, I believe the TDF effect is similar to gym attendance in January. It's good to see people getting off the couch and onto bikes, especially with the obesity problem in most Western countries. But people who haven't worked out in 20 years quickly discover that exercise results in sore muscles at first. A large percentage give up within a month or two because they can't get past the soreness. It would be interesting to see how many bikes are gathering dust in a garage or basement 10 months after the TDF.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia Sprint
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah - I think you're right. The Tour especially thanks to Lance brought up everyone's awareness and appreciation for cycling. I wish the tour was in April so we could get more courtesy from the cagers earlier in the season!

Another effect I noticed is that I'm up out of the saddle more. I'm less afraid of burning out since I've seen the pro riders doing it.
    cycling is like baseball ~ it doesn't take much to make it interesting

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking for myself, I ordered a Cofidis jersey because they're red and match my bike and they look cool and they are on sale.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    Speaking for myself, I ordered a Cofidis jersey because they're red and match my bike and they look cool and they are on sale.
    Now that is the way to get "Team" strips.Only one I ever had was a Purple "TREK" jersey and shorts. It was the MTB racing strip from a couple of years pevious and was cheap- in fact it was in the sale bin. That was %& years ago- can't remember but I do know that the jersey is still comfortable and I did use it on my First 100 mile offroad ride in 93. The shorts fell apart after only a couple of years though.

Spike Milligan