Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Anyone else NOT like padding in gloves?? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/567252-anyone-else-not-like-padding-gloves.html)

DnvrFox 07-27-09 06:33 PM

Anyone else NOT like padding in gloves??

Am I the only one who can not tolerate a lot of padding in their gloves?

My hands are already well padded, and the padded gloves just make it painful.

I still have a few pair of very, very lightly padded Specialized Cross Road gloves (they don't last a long time on my big hands), but when I finally run out of them, I guess I will have to find something else, as Specialized stopped selling them.

I guess they sell so few unpadded gloves, it is not worth carrying them.

So, anyone else, or am I odd man out??

gash44 07-27-09 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 9366483)

Am I the only one who can not tolerate a lot of padding in their gloves?

My hands are already well padded, and the padded gloves just make it painful.

I still have a few pair of very, very lightly padded Specialized Cross Road gloves (they don't last a long time on my big hands), but when I finally run out of them, I guess I will have to find something else, as Specialized stopped selling them.

I guess they sell so few unpadded gloves, it is not worth carrying them.

So, anyone else, or am I odd man out??

My hands are bony so I like a little padding not a lot just a little.

Barrettscv 07-27-09 07:54 PM

My Time MTB full finger gloves have no padding. My bike is a steel framed w/ a CF fork. I don't like or need padding, but I really like full finger gloves.

Michael

europa 07-27-09 08:23 PM

As Michael suggested, try looking at mtb gloves - like his, my full finger mtb gloves don't have any padding.

For what it's worth, the best gloves for me (and I have a lot of hand trouble), have just an extra layer of leather rather than being padded out.

Richard

Artkansas 07-28-09 04:23 AM

I have the opposite problem. I'm always searching for gloves with enough padding. If they could only mix a bicycling glove with a catcher's mitt, I'd be happy.

DnvrFox 07-28-09 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by europa (Post 9367292)
As Michael suggested, try looking at mtb gloves - like his, my full finger mtb gloves don't have any padding.

For what it's worth, the best gloves for me (and I have a lot of hand trouble), have just an extra layer of leather rather than being padded out.

Richard

Thanks.

I am good for several years with my current stockpile of the Cross Roads gloves, but when I get to the point of needing to buy some, I will do as you suggest!

tsl 07-28-09 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 9368738)
If they could only mix a bicycling glove with a catcher's mitt, I'd be happy.

On Sunday I saw a guy riding while wearing boxing gloves. On a fixie I could understand it, but this was an x-mart mountain bike. Yikes!

As for me, I'm with DF--the less padding the better. My favorite gloves are some PIs they don't make any more. They have a double-layer of leather in a couple of spots. My second favorite are the Pittard's leather ones from PI that have no padding and no second layer. I'm not recommending them since they're bucks deluxe. Just sayin'.

I'm about due for another pair of uninsulated long-finger gloves. I'll have to look again, but the last time I checked MTB gloves, they were all padded like oven mitts.

In the winter there's no real choice, given the insulation. It's the only thing I really and actively dislike about winter cycling. Just when road feel becomes even more important to safe handling, the darned insulated gloves take it away.

John E 07-28-09 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by europa (Post 9367292)

Richard

A third vote here for full-finger MTB gloves year round, on road and off. Mine have just a hint of padding.

Tom Bombadil 07-28-09 10:00 AM

I look for as much padding as possible, particularly at the base of my thumb. I have tendonitis in both thumbs and sustained pressure at the base of my thumbs results in significant pain. This is one of my major problems in using drop bars, riding on the hoods is almost impossible for me, likewise for the drops, leaving me with just the bars --- which are much worse than what I can set up on non-drop bars.

So I use ergonomic grips and bar ends, combined with padded gloves and a more upright seating position, all of which reduce pressure on my thumbs. I sorted through about 20 different types of gloves before finding one that had nice gel pads right at the base of the thumb. Most padded gloves have nothing at that particular spot.

Well, the best solution is a recumbent, which places no pressure on my thumbs and I don't even wear gloves when riding one of my bents.

tony2v 07-28-09 10:06 AM

I'm using the Giro Lusso white gloves, minimal padding, love the fit and look (matches my white fizik handlebar tape). The Giro Zero has no padding as in "zero"!

staehpj1 07-28-09 10:13 AM

Not me I prefer some padding.

Dchiefransom 07-28-09 01:28 PM

I've been looking around for gloves without padding that are half-fingered. I don't need padding on the recumbent, but would like a bit of protection.

stapfam 07-28-09 01:36 PM

3 years ago and the only gloves I had were mountain bike ones with no padding.Unfortunately- the hands hurt on the road bike. Got a pair of padded gloves and they still hurt. So out on a ride and I went to a shop with a good range of gloves. I still had the ache in the hands and I must have tried 25 pairs of gloves on. A couple of them had padding where the hands hurt so on the bike and grab hold of the bars to see if they worked. Both did but looked at the price and went for the "Cheaper" ones. I say cheaper but I could have bought 3 pairs of "Non" padded gloves for the price I paid.

kr32 07-28-09 07:24 PM

I dont wear gloves but as it is getting rather humid as of late I am finding the hoods get sort of wet and slippery. I want to look for for non padded gloves and maybe half finger? Just to keep the hands firm on the hoods. It's not a huge problem but might be nice
Thinking a leather glove would be ideal.
I stopped wearing them for golf as well several years ago and think the leather glove like a golf glove would be perfect.

I do have padded gloves for the MTB but do not like the padding too much and will change when I get the MTB back out this winter or fall. Liking the road bike too much to ride the MTB any now. Even thought of selling it to be honest.

billydonn 07-28-09 08:13 PM

Spenco Ironman's with lots of padding for me... seems to keep my wrists at a good, comfy angle.

tsl 07-29-09 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom (Post 9372005)
I've been looking around for gloves without padding that are half-fingered. I don't need padding on the recumbent, but would like a bit of protection.

Originally Posted by kr32 (Post 9374448)
I want to look for for non padded gloves and maybe half finger? Just to keep the hands firm on the hoods. It's not a huge problem but might be nice. Thinking a leather glove would be ideal.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...uct_id=1263454

These are the ones I described above as being my second favorite. They rate second only because I bought a size too large, so my hands move around inside of them. Slowly, the leather is shrinking to fit.

Rick@OCRR 07-29-09 08:05 AM

I'd always thought I liked a little padding; usually use Pearl Izumi gloves (or my OCRR club kit gloves by Voler) . . . until I showed up for an 80 mile road ride in the mountains and found I'd forgotten to pack any gloves at all.

So, I did the whole ride gloveless (and actually remembered to put sun-block on the usually covered tops of my hands), and you know what? No worries! No pain, no numbness, no trouble holding onto the bars and/or brake hoods.

Of course I always like to wear gloves to protect the skin on my hands in a fall/crash situation, so now I'm thinking, the less padding the better!

Rick / OCRR

oilman_15106 07-29-09 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by tony2v (Post 9370353)
I'm using the Giro Lusso white gloves, minimal padding, love the fit and look (matches my white fizik handlebar tape). The Giro Zero has no padding as in "zero"!

I too am a fan of the less padding the better. I have found that the heavily padded gel gloves make my hands hurt along with shoulders.

Tried the Giro Zero but am not happy with the way the inside shed color to my hands. The best minimal padding glove to me is the Specialized Pro with the only padding on the outside of the palm. If you can find em the Nike time trial gloves also fit the no padding bill.

leob1 07-29-09 02:33 PM

Number 4 for the full finger gloves. I bought a pair at the 'company store' when I worked for N******, for $5.00. yes five dollars. They where more of a adertising giimick than any thing else, with logos all over. No padding, just a double layer on the palm. I figured they would be good for winter, and go back to regular gloves in the summer. I wound up useing them year round for the past few years. Best 5 bucks I ever spent on bike stuff. For fathers day my son boought me a pair of fingerless gloves with very little padding, from EMS, they a very comfortable with out the bulk of the padding.

DnvrFox 07-29-09 02:39 PM

I have very hot hands (and feet) - I wonder if full-finger gloves would drive me nuts. This is one reason I wear riding sandals year-round.

stapfam 07-29-09 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 9380341)
I have very hot hands (and feet) - I wonder if full-finger gloves would drive me nuts. This is one reason I wear riding sandals year-round.

My problem in winter is that the extremities get cold- both hands and feet. If I can keep the wind and the wet off of the skin then I am OK. So a few years ago I got SealSkinz socks. No more cold feet. Then a couple of years ago I got the SealSkinz gloves. It can rain as much as it likes and get as near freezing at the same time and the hands now stay warm.

Neither of these offer any warmth but I no longer have to cut the rides short in the winter due to The pain that cold alone can bring.

az_cyclist 07-29-09 03:02 PM

I like some padding, but not too much. I kind of need tight gloves so I dont rub sore spots on my hands, though.

djnzlab1 07-29-09 06:45 PM

Those cheep gloves for me

HI,

http://i.ebayimg.com/03/!BVLZG-w!mk~...6KoV4Q~~_1.JPG
I like those 4 dollar a pair gloves i buy at the exchange, they have double leather in the palm and thats about it for padding.
I did order a TT bar for my bike at bike island mostly for my wrist and forearms are pretty sour from daily abuse .
doug

chipcom 07-29-09 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 9366483)

I like gloves with little or no padding.

DnvrFox 07-29-09 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by chipcom (Post 9381939)
I like gloves with little or no padding.

Did a fairy princess kiss you?