Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-28-09, 11:05 PM   #1
FELTGood
New Well Over 50

Bikes: '03 LeMond Alpe D'Huez, '99 Giant TCR 1T, '98 Landshark Dirtshart, '09 Spot Longboard 9, '89 Bridgestone MB 3 SS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy Camper!

I love Bridgestone mountain bikes! Owned a '91 MB-3 that I foolishly sold after picking up a new '94 MB-1.
I saw a '90 MB-3 for sale on Portland's craiglist for $200. Corresponded with the owner as he didn't know the year. From the paint/graphics, determined it was a '90 with Ritchey Logic frame and fork tubing with good deore componentry. The owner already had an interested potential buyer and was reluctant to wait for me to travel 300 miles to look/then buy. As luck would have it, the potential buyer stood the owner up so I bought it sight unseen and sent a friend to pick it up. Picked up the bike late yesterday.

Here's an email I just sent to the owner tonight:

"Steve,

My friend Garry met me yesterday in Eugene and I picked up the bike. Quite honestly, it seemed rougher than I expected. Took a short ride when I got home and was reminded of the '91 MB3 I shouldn't have sold. Rode it 21 miles today so the affair has begun. Between the two rides, cleaned it up and dipped into the parts bin -- for ritchey clipless pedals, aluminum stem & handle bars, ergon grips, a bianchi seat, and ritchey bar ends -- and went to my inexpensive parts guy -- for color coordinated bottle cages, cables, brake cable hardware, and a guide for front brake cable at a total cost of $9 -- and then.....set out to test my bike mechanic skills and install everything. The bike is now transformed and weighs about 1 lb less. Test rode it earlier this evening.

Very happy with the results and the way it rides and looks. See attached pics.

Robert"

Very pleased with the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mb3July28_6.jpg (60.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg mb3july28_1.jpg (27.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg MB3July28_2.jpg (26.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg mb3Jul28_4.jpg (27.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg mb3Jul28_5.jpg (47.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by FELTGood; 07-28-09 at 11:12 PM. Reason: addng photos
FELTGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 06:49 AM   #2
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You are continuing on the journey of enjoyment. Sounds like you got something that you wanted, even if you had to do a little work. With any used bike purchase that is almost inevitable.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 09:31 AM   #3
FELTGood
New Well Over 50

Bikes: '03 LeMond Alpe D'Huez, '99 Giant TCR 1T, '98 Landshark Dirtshart, '09 Spot Longboard 9, '89 Bridgestone MB 3 SS
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Floyd. Yeah I did. Isn't that the mantra anyway:

"You have to work for the outcome that you want"

Just finished a quick morning ride -- 11.5 mi -- on it as it is supposed to get up to 105F here today!

Last edited by FELTGood; 07-29-09 at 09:32 AM. Reason: grammar!
FELTGood is offline   Reply With Quote