User Tag List

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accident Status- +11 days - no pic's

I am so lucky and Life is so good. Still sore, going to PT as I moved trip back to Philippines by a week- Dr said be careful of long flights.
    Bruise still there but slowly going away. I have emblem of SUV name on my hip but its hard to make out. I rode trainer 3 days - very easy, PT therapist said that was very good exercise- then gave OK to ride yesterday. Did 12 miles last night, 17mph avg, small hills, stood up several times - feel good this a.m. (pain is god's way of telling you you are still alive )

Looking back - I think mental preparation (and spirit above looking over me) saved me from significant harm:
    - I knew NOT to allow myself to be in front of vechicle upon impact - meaning that I did all I could to hit SUV, not have him hit me with his grill.
    - in the air I saw he was in his 80's, I made decision to Roll away when I hit the pacement - I BELIEVE strongly he would have run over me

So I am always prepared to keep auto from running over my old A**.

- I Practice falling into my swimming pool. I automatically go into a tuck position. I really think this helped.
    folks usually throw out thier arms and break collar bones.

Lesson learned,
    - I thought i was biking defensively, but will endeavor to do more so
    - keep your personal data of your self w/You. I'd of been in troule if I had been knocked unconscious.
    - You pay for auto's mistakes, I knew this before hand, but this was strongly reinforced.

I still have no police report (other than verbal), police are in no hurry. And I still have a battle with Insurance company - bike replacement, etc. But bottom line thats small stuff compared to the joy of not having permanent injury. At 62, i have many hills to climb yet - ain't it grand !!!!!! :

Stay Safe All.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news!!

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good news.....and here's to future battles won.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good! Hope the insurance stuff works out soon too.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    <snip> I made decision to Roll away <snip> I automatically go into a tuck position. I really think this helped. Folks usually throw out their arms and break collar bones.
    Tuck-and-roll works for me too. Glad to hear of another report of tuck-and-roll success.

When Yellow Bike tangled with a Pontiac earlier this year, I escaped with only deep bruising of the right shoulder and a silver dollar sized spot of road rash on my left elbow.

My recovery was remarkably brief. Starting from being unable to dress myself or comb my hair, I was back to work in a week, nearly pain-free after two weeks, and completely healed after four.

I hope yours goes quickly as well.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hang in there. Post some 'after' pics.........later.
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer