I am so lucky and Life is so good. Still sore, going to PT as I moved trip back to Philippines by a week- Dr said be careful of long flights.
Bruise still there but slowly going away. I have emblem of SUV name on my hip but its hard to make out. I rode trainer 3 days - very easy, PT therapist said that was very good exercise- then gave OK to ride yesterday. Did 12 miles last night, 17mph avg, small hills, stood up several times - feel good this a.m. (pain is god's way of telling you you are still alive )
Looking back - I think mental preparation (and spirit above looking over me) saved me from significant harm:
- I knew NOT to allow myself to be in front of vechicle upon impact - meaning that I did all I could to hit SUV, not have him hit me with his grill.
- in the air I saw he was in his 80's, I made decision to Roll away when I hit the pacement - I BELIEVE strongly he would have run over me
So I am always prepared to keep auto from running over my old A**.
- I Practice falling into my swimming pool. I automatically go into a tuck position. I really think this helped.
folks usually throw out thier arms and break collar bones.
- I thought i was biking defensively, but will endeavor to do more so
- keep your personal data of your self w/You. I'd of been in troule if I had been knocked unconscious.
- You pay for auto's mistakes, I knew this before hand, but this was strongly reinforced.
I still have no police report (other than verbal), police are in no hurry. And I still have a battle with Insurance company - bike replacement, etc. But bottom line thats small stuff compared to the joy of not having permanent injury. At 62, i have many hills to climb yet - ain't it grand !!!!!! :
Stay Safe All.