User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what's usually done.

I'm pushing 60 (just over 2 months away), but that makes me 50+ at least.

This AM I was doing my usual Thursday AM 25 miler before work. I'm cruising along at about 17 or so, which is typical, and a guy comes up behind me and passes. He's hitting between 19 and 20, so I hang on. I can do 20 for a while and even share the pulls.

After a mile or two, the guy picks it up. I'm thinking he either wants to drop me or he's trying to help me go a little faster. He gets up to the 23+ mph range, which is very fast for me, but I'm hanging in there, not in any real discomfort, feeling pretty good.

After a mile or so of that, the guy pulls out to the left and I move up and ask him if he wants me to pull for a while. His kind of snotty comment was "That's what's usually done". I told him he was a little fast for me, but I'd do my best for a while. So I pulled for about a mile at a little above 20 and then gave up and let him go.

I just thought the comment "That's what's usually done" was kind of dumb, but then again, I should probably have asked before I drafted on the guy. One of us was bit rude, either him intentionally or me unintentionally.

The good news is that I could stay with someone at that pace. It made me feel like a real bike rider!

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yes, 67Walkon,

You really should announce that you're there when you're riding another rider's wheel. It makes life safer for both of you, but esp. for you, to have the other rider know you're there.

When he moved out to the left, that was your cue to pull through. Usually there's a flick of the elbow, a quick hand-wave or some other visual cue, but an obvious move to one side (should ideally be into the wind) works too.

Big picture, don't worry about it, learn from the experience and enjoy the fact that you were able to hang on to 23 mph and even take a pull (even if it was kinda short) at that speed!

Rick / OCRR (7 months away from 60)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Well yes, 67Walkon,

You really should announce that you're there when you're riding another rider's wheel. It makes life safer for both of you, but esp. for you, to have the other rider know you're there.

When he moved out to the left, that was your cue to pull through. Usually there's a flick of the elbow, a quick hand-wave or some other visual cue, but an obvious move to one side (should ideally be into the wind) works too.

Big picture, don't worry about it, learn from the experience and enjoy the fact that you were able to hang on to 23 mph and even take a pull (even if it was kinda short) at that speed!

Rick / OCRR (7 months away from 60)
    A newbie question here, does it make it harder to pull than to ride without anyone on your back?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So 67-just where did you walkon and in what sport?

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JetWave View Post
    A newbie question here, does it make it harder to pull than to ride without anyone on your back?
    No JetWave,

All the test reports I've seen show that it actually makes it marginally easier for the lead rider when another rider is on their wheel. The emphasis here is on "marginally." So not "significantly" and probably not something you'd even notice.

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IM 69/// Today on the way home /AN EXTRA 15 miles to my usual thirty I run up on some hot shot mtn bikers headed for the beach.Thay see me comeing and poor it on //not realizeing thay are trying to beat a 28" tire with 26" mtn bike gear well I laid behind them for a mile or two and waited for a fair hill that there going to be completely waisted for and take them.; It was a gamble if thay were superman but I was right thay were finished those guys /toungs hangin was thinking ;;;who was that old masked man./I never saw them again even in the hilly going/Kenneth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good job, kenkayak.

67walkon,
    What that guy should have said, of course, is something like, "Would you? That'd be great!" If he's too much "into it" to be friendly, then he's taking biking, and himself, too seriously. But he might still be a good guy who just had a more or less bad moment.

All of that is obvious. It wouldn't even need to be said. But it's a good reminder, for those of us who want it, to be serious but also be nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 67walkon View Post
    I just thought the comment "That's what's usually done" was kind of dumb, .....
    Don't sweat it! The moron is obviously a social clod. He probably thought he was being clever. I work work with someone who has a similar demeanor and there is no way to get any politeness or common decency from them. The part that frosts me the most is that they generally don't even realize what rude creeps they really are.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you did not announce yourself on his wheel it might have put him a little on edge. In that case both of you share in the comment. He was not very nice, but he probably felt your actions were equal to a sharp comment silimar to what he made. Do not worry about that instance, but do announce yourself on a wheel for the good of all involved.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenkayak View Post
    IM 69/// Today on the way home /AN EXTRA 15 miles to my usual thirty I run up on some hot shot mtn bikers headed for the beach.Thay see me comeing and poor it on //not realizeing thay are trying to beat a 28" tire with 26" mtn bike gear well I laid behind them for a mile or two and waited for a fair hill that there going to be completely waisted for and take them.; It was a gamble if thay were superman but I was right thay were finished those guys /toungs hangin was thinking ;;;who was that old masked man./I never saw them again even in the hilly going/Kenneth
    You're on the podium!
    RANS V3 (steel), RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

My Bikes
    08 Trek Madone 5.5, 07 Lemond Versailles-Carbon, 06 Lemond Croix de fer-True Temper, 95 Bianchi Eros-Chromoly
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pushing 60 (just over 2 months away), but that makes me 50+ at least.

This AM I was doing my usual Thursday AM 25 miler before work. I'm cruising along at about 17 or so, which is typical, and a guy comes up behind me and passes. He's hitting between 19 and 20, so I hang on. I can do 20 for a while and even share the pulls.

After a mile or two, the guy picks it up. I'm thinking he either wants to drop me or he's trying to help me go a little faster. He gets up to the 23+ mph range, which is very fast for me, but I'm hanging in there, not in any real discomfort, feeling pretty good.

After a mile or so of that, the guy pulls out to the left and I move up and ask him if he wants me to pull for a while. His kind of snotty comment was "That's what's usually done". I told him he was a little fast for me, but I'd do my best for a while. So I pulled for about a mile at a little above 20 and then gave up and let him go.

I just thought the comment "That's what's usually done" was kind of dumb, but then again, I should probably have asked before I drafted on the guy. One of us was bit rude, either him intentionally or me unintentionally.

The good news is that I could stay with someone at that pace. It made me feel like a real bike rider!

As far as I am concerned you did nothing wrong. I think the guy was rude and more than likely upset that you kept up with him. Does not shock me that he was rude, I have been riding for many years and I have met many a rude bike rider who thinks he is something special, and have met many a nice bike rider also. Move on from it you did nothing wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I am learning something here tonight.

On the very rare occasion that I might catch up to someone, I always felt it was rude to PASS them (like "I'm faster than you are") So instead I hang behind them and catch my breath for a while (which is more like "I can go about the same speed you do" maybe?!)

So how does one "announce" oneself?

Thanks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "That's what's usually done".
    I think too many here are being too sensitive about the comment. Just accept it as a statement of, “Yes you are good enough to do a pull and it is your turn”.

The only thing that I would have found rude, would have been if 67 refused to share the work. But since he gave it his best, all was good.

the dream shall never die galyons's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R900 CAAD 8 Campy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerwannabe View Post
    ... I always felt it was rude to PASS them (like "I'm faster than you are") ...

Thanks
    Bicycles are vehicles. Do you have qualms about passing a slower motorist when you are driving? Of course not, that's just the way of the road. In your car, you activate your turn signal. Cycling is a bit more "person2person", so simply, in a friendly voice, announce "On your left!"

It's not "I'm faster than you are", simply at this moment I am going faster than you. Of course emasculatory tone is neither needed nor welcomed!

Cheers,
    Geary

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the very rare occasion that I might catch up to someone, I always felt it was rude to PASS them (like "I'm faster than you are") So instead I hang behind them and catch my breath for a while (which is more like "I can go about the same speed you do" maybe?!)

Thanks
    The only time it is rude passing someone, is if you slow down shortly after you are ahead and then slow them down.

Many cyclist do consider it rude to draft without getting permission first. For me, I do not mind someone drafting, as long as they are willing to share the work. Pretty much, if someone makes a mistake, it is the guy in back that crashes. So if you draft without permission, the drafter is the one taking the risk anyway.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a major faux-pas to draft without getting permission. A simple, "do you mind if I tuck in?" does it all. And, if you do draft, it's only fair that you share the work. If you can't take long pulls at 23 mph, at least take shorter ones at 20 mph. Freeloaders are almost never welcome. The other guy pulling out should have been an obvious signal for you to take a turn.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    I might be more sensitive than most on announcing when a cyclist gets on another rider's wheel. Back surgery has made turning to see behind me very difficult. I really appreciate another rider announcing he is "on my wheel". I always announce myself when I come up on another rider and decide to set on his wheel for a while. I do this for my own protection. I will often make moves with no one on my wheel that I would not make with some one "setting on". It has more to do with safety than anything else.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have said something like "I'll do my best but this is pretty fast for me." and see what he says or does. I think there's a good chance he would have offered to back off a few MPH.

I don't think it's possible to form a very valid judgement about a person on the basis of just 4 words.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Giant Hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grouch, I did. I told him it was a little fast for me, but I'd give it a try for a while.

I should have asked when he first passed, but I was working too hard to think about it when he sped up. Next time, I'll be more considerate. Live and learn.

In 1967, I was a walk on for the University of Florida freshman basketball team. After a somewhat successfull but not great high school career, walking on was a great experience. We practiced with the varsity, but back then freshmen weren't eligible, so we played other freshmen teams or junior colleges. I actually saw a fair amount of playing time and my high game was 6 points. At some point, I picked 67walkon for a screen or forum name and I've used it ever since.

Go Gators!

My Bikes
    MASI Gran Criterium S & Guru steel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    67walkon:

Guess we have some things in common. I had a similar situation with a 40-something rider who blazed by me on my favorite road. I let him go but then had second thoughts and said, "What the hell. I wonder if I can catch him?" I'm 63 btw. After a few very hard minutes I was sitting on his wheel. He looked over his shoulder, saw me and cranked it up. But, at that point I was in his draft and just sat there. Finally he looked back and saw me right there. He sat up and waved me by. I rode up and thanked him for the ride. We rode together for awhile and talked. Really nice guy. BTW, I also was a walk-on. Back in 1964 I was at American International College in Springfield, MA after graduating from Hackensack High School in Hackensack, NJ. I was a walk-on football player and ended up being the starting QB and getting a full ride for the rest of my college.